If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway General Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Simon Smith

Simon Smith New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting comment the "train’s brakes were not performing in a consistent, predictable manner"

Sounds like a maintenance issue?

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Paragraph 65 in the full report.

"Subsequently, the train was examined and a spindle in the locomotive brake combining valve was found to be sticking. This caused the locomotive steam brakes to remain applied after the driver had stopped demanding braking."

Full report available at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-from-a-train-at-loughborough-central-station

Sadly the gentleman involved has now passed away, though I don't know whether that's as a consequence of the accident.

3. Gunz412

Gunz412 New Member Loco Owner

Hi all.

Is there a winter gala next year? The event is conspicuous by its absence.
    A lot of people I know have booked up to visit the new Severn Valley gala instead.

4. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

5. Gunz412

Gunz412 New Member Loco Owner

6. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Alternative footage of 92214 in recent photo charter action

7. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

This information has been given to Boscastle Shareholders and BOSClub members

"Boscastle insurance claim update....
    The Board of the Boscastle Locomotive Ltd. are pleased to be able to announce the following: “Following the major theft last year, of parts and material, from our storage container on the Great Central Railway, a claim for the loss has been pursued and, it is with considerable relief, that a down payment has been received from the insurers to enable us to start placing orders for replacement parts, particularly for the inside motion.
    There is still a lot of money needed to complete the work on the boiler and then the final assembly of the locomotive, but the day that Boscastle returns to steam is getting closer. Thanks are due to many people from the GCR, Boscastle Locomotive Ltd. and the Loss Adjusters, who have worked very hard to quantify and process this complex claim."

8. Belgarath001

Belgarath001 New Member

As a picture has appeared on one of the unofficial Facebook pages of the first unit arriving - the GCR has acquired for "next to nothing" a pair of Class 153s, to help continue to provide crew training to a couple of operators. Apparently one of the resident diesel railcars had previously been used for this, but obviously doesn't provide much of a relevant experience these days! The internal newsletter I saw this news in, mentions that they're primarily not for passenger use, but may make an appearance at diesel galas, and as testbeds for other technology testing contracts.

Nick C, 5944, Johnme101 and 3 others like this.
  9. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Sad news from the GCR https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/2024/01/gcr-announces-voluntary-redundancy-measures/

our movement is under threat like never before

GCR announces voluntary redundancy measures

Published January 15, 2024 | By Simon Bracewell
    The Great Central Railway has announced a voluntary redundancy scheme as part of a programme to reduce costs. While much of the line continues to be run by volunteers, a number of positions are filled by paid staff. As it enters a new financial year, staff are being offered the chance to apply for redundancy with a view to saving some £250,000.

Malcolm Holmes, General Manager of the Great Central Railway said, “We are not alone in the heritage railway sector, or indeed the whole leisure industry in having seen our overall costs increase hugely over the four years since the beginning of Covid and the Ukraine war. In particular, the cost of heating and lighting our sheds, stations and cafes is a substantial unavoidable burden. While these costs have at least stabilised, we’re forced to pay an extraordinary price for coal for our locomotives, which has soared. In the meantime families have less disposable income to enjoy days out. We continue to grow, fundraise and diversify our business so we are far more of a visitor attraction than just a train ride, but the time has come where cost cutting can’t be avoided. It’s going to be a tough few weeks because I am so proud of our team and the hard work they have invested in the railway.”

Besides the redundancy programme, the railway has sold its 50% share in a class 8F locomotive to the David Clarke Railway Trust, the official supporting charity of the GCR. Other assets may be disposed of in the coming weeks.

Staff at the railway were notified on the 15th of January about the redundancy programme. Compulsory redundancies may be necessary if there are not enough expressions of interest in voluntary redundancy.

Malcolm Holmes concluded, “This is absolutely not a crisis situation but a recognition we are not immune to turbulent financial times and we have to plan accordingly. The railway has ambitious plans to grow in the future. We have generous supporters who delight in seeing the line thrive and hundreds of thousands of visitors each year who enjoy travelling on our heritage trains and exploring the line. We want to be a key economic driver in the East Midlands. We hope people will continue to support the railway, by visiting our stations, refreshment rooms and enjoying our vibrant special events”

11. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

It makes all the previous double track talk pail into insignificance.

Sheff and Matt37401 like this.
  12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Unfortunately I can see this same scenario being played out at quite a few of our preserved lines and centres, paid staff, being lost, and an expectation of volunteers filling the roles, which is fine, if you have a good team of volunteers, but i think longer term, things will become harder..

13. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

And projects will get slower as volunteers will have to fit in project managing, negotiating with the various authorities and outside suppliers in what spare time they have rather than being 100% available day job pais staff.

14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

It seems @waterbucket was a little bit ahead of the game with their now deleted post over the weekend.

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

it already is , many railways making very hard decisions about how they manage costs . Asset sales , redundancies, major appeals

16. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Here are the two class 153's mentioned in post #908
    DSC03336.JPG

And there is the sad news about voluntary redundancies in order to reduce the financial losses. A very difficult time for all concerned.

Hando, Dan Hill, Johnme101 and 2 others like this.
  17. Simon Smith

Simon Smith New Member

This is very sad news for the GCR, i think it is reflective of another railway not changing their business model to suit the current climate (or post covid climate) and are now paying the price.

I generally visit twice a year when i am in the area and their USP of running 3 locos a day from early season doesn't equate to bums on seats. Also running huge locos on a flat line with 5 or 5 coaches can't be too cost effective.

I sincerely hope they turn it around.

Matt37401 and 26D_M like this.
  18. PC5020

PC5020 New Member

I think that so much of this was in the cards before the current crisis. It is just that things have been accelerated. This is not the end of the world but the end of the world as we have known it. Things change we often forget that.

19. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

I have held the opinion that since Covid, Galas I've attended at GCR have been as busy as I can ever remember. Escalation of spiralling costs rather than lack of footfall?

20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Probably a combination of both? I wouldn’t use gala days as a barometer of success though.

misspentyouth62, 35B and Paul42 like this.