If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway loco roster?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Broomhalla, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I am planning a visit to the Great Central railway on the 27th of June so i can finally knock it off the list of preserved lines that i really should visit and was wondering if anyone knew just which engines will be running on that day?
    I ask more out of curiosity than anything since i don't really mind what is pulling the train and i will doubtless enjoy my visit.
    Also is the engine shed open to the public or is it closed for H&S reasons?
    Many thanks

2. l wainwright

l wainwright New Member

was there on 13th 63601 48305 30777 were running 63601 going to kwvr soon shed usualy open

3. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The engine shed is open at all times except when the crane is in use to lift things, since we don't generally like knocking people into the ground.A

s for 27th June, I should imagine it could be one of any of the following, 42085, 1744, 78019, 63601, 30777 or 48305.

Fairly sure I've not forgotten any others, best guess is that it'll most likely be 48305 and 30777, with 63601 or 78019 being a possibility, with an outside chance for the Fairburn or N2, which could be on running-in duties. So, it could all be happening when you arive!

4. Broomhalla

That's great and i'm glad the shed is open to the public as i do enjoy a good shed visit so i can poke around and see whats going on behind the scenes.

I will also have to have a look at the appeal building and will know doubt have a fine day exploring the line.

5. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Forgive the ignorance, but whats No.1744? Is that an industrial or something?

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

7. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

8. Broomhalla

My god that's a good bit of paint work. Haven't seen anything that shiny since i last saw Mayflower.

9. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

Hehe, it still wasn't finished yet, some more varnish went on it later on in the day.

10. Broomhalla

Quick question: How long does it take to walk from the station to the engine shed?

11. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

2 minutes

12. Broomhalla

Well i had one great day on the Great Central Railway and me thanks goes to all the staff who were most helpful.
    I arrived at Loughborough at 11:20 just as the Ivatt pulled into the station:

[​IMG]

After purchasing my tickets i am my mother and father proceeded down the stairs to the platform to find that the station was suffering from a bit of a identity crisis although it was the first time i had seen a Smash advertisement in a long time. Also the new refreshment stand at the end of the station was strange and apon closer inspection was revealed to be a prop from the filming that had taken place during the week. Look out for the film Cemetery Junction by the way chaps. As you can see from the below picture if you hadn't been to the line before the cafe looks like it's been there since the place was built.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a bit of time to burn till the train departed we headed down to the loco shed in search of a certain GNR tank engine and to see what was going on. walking down a class 33 was being made ready for service but i have no idea what it's number was as it seemed that it didn't have any numbers on it. Entering the shed i was greeted by the lovely sight of Sir Lamiel and the GNR N2 tank. I enjoyed my walk round the the shed and the pictures i took are below:

Black 5 under overhaul:
    [​IMG]

Boscastle:
    [​IMG]

Swindon 2MT
    [​IMG]

Standard 5
    [​IMG]

GNR N2
    [​IMG]

Exiting the shed from the rear of the building i couldn't help but follow the path and have a look at the canal bridge that will hopefully one day carry the GCR onwards:

[​IMG]

I was quite surprised by how close the bridge was to the shed as i had thought that it was quite some distance away but instead it was more or less a minute walk from the rear of the shed. I stopped off in the little second hand shop near the bridge and picked up a book i had been looking for for some time. I do recommend popping in there if you visit the GCR although it escapes me what they were fund raising for.
    With the shed done we headed back to the station and boarded the waiting train where we found a seat in the Griddle car and promptly order a few baps for are lunch and of course a cup of tea.
    As the train set off are engine was the mystery Class 33 which took us to Leicester North passing the 8F coming the other way what was quite strange passing another engine on a heritage line.

[​IMG]

The canopy was being installed and the station was very neat and tidy.

After a brief stop the train departed again and we got off at Rothely the home of the C&W works and a few nice LNER coaches. The station was picture perfect and like very other station on the line was extremely neat and tidy. There was a nice cafe next to it which we stopped at and waited for the 8F. While waiting the Ivatt came along running light engine up to Leicester North and then back again what was a little odd but at least gave me a chance to get some pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the 8F returned from Leicester North we boarded and quickly found a seat and enjoyed a nice ride back to Loughborough passing the Ivatt as we went along the double track.

And that's about it apart from to say that the sausage bap on the griddle car was one of the best I've ever had and i enjoyed my visit to the Great central Railway and hope to visit again another day.

On a final not i was glad to have seen the Irish generator cars even if two were on pallets but hopefully they should join the other on standard gauge bogie's:

[​IMG]

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The mystery Type 3 is 33116 / D6535 - part of the National Collection.

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The light engine was most probably a 'Drive a Loco Experience' working.

As for the two 'grounded' generator vans at Quorn, they were reported in the GCR's "Main Line" magazine as being likely to be scrapped. I think they were offered for sale when they arrived but presumably there have been no takers, and/or possibly parts have been used to get the other two working.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. \:D/

16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

78019 is also a Riddles design , not an ivatt (although derived from)

17. Broomhalla

Just out of interest but with the purchase of the GCR building next to the station will the ground surrounding it be used as a carpark?

18. Flipper_T_Rox

Flipper_T_Rox New Member

It's more than possible that it will be used for staff parking, although with the provision of a disabled parking space to the current specs the remaining capacity will be about 4 cars parked bonnet to boot and mirror-to-mirror.

Flip

19. 4141

4141 New Member

SOrry to be pedantic but the Ivatt, is really a BR Riddles Standard 2 78019.

20. Broomhalla

Yes i know it was pointed out at the top of this page. I call all standard 2's Ivatts. It's just something i do.