If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central this weekend.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by nhumble37, Jul 13, 2012.

1. nhumble37

nhumble37 New Member

Can anyone please suugest what the loco roster is
    for Sat & Sun??
    TIA
    Neale

2. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

if you were subscribed to the newsletter, you'd know. It's 45305 and 48624.

3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The newsletter is also accessible via the GCR website

4. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Is the roster still available in this way? I can't find it, but then again I'm pretty inept at navigating websites.
    If anyone can give a steer on likely locos this weekend, I'd be very grateful!

5. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
  6. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I do subscribe to Railmail but that only has the diesel roster?

7. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Locos are usually shown on the GCR website, top right. At the moment it's advertising midweek services and whilst there are photos of 45305 & 777 attached, it doesn't explicitly state that these are working this week (but it is probably a good clue). As for the weekend, check the same space on Friday. It is usually kept up to date.

8. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Speaking of 45305 and 777, are they both due overhauls in the not-too distant future? Neither has been out on the mainline for some time so I assumed that their 7 years was up?

Oliver Cromwell can't be far behind either can it?

Chris

9. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Ah, thanks very much for that information.

10. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I'm not a member of the 5305LA but do check posts on their excellent Facebook page and Twitter feeds, so I can only report what I think to be the case - but stand to be corrected!

45305 is in service and working regularly at Loughborough. I don't think it's done any main line work for a couple of years now and probably unlikely to get much more in the near future due to the number of Black 5's currently available and certified. I think it still has a few years left on its boiler ticket.

Similarly, 30777 'Sir Lamiel' is also operational and in regular service at Loughborough. It's been off the mainline since the lineside fires incident on the ECML a couple of years ago. The boiler ticket expires this year so I guess there will be no more main line work for it and the 5305LA team will already have plans for its overhaul once the ticket expires.

70013 'Oliver Cromwell' returned to service in May 2008 so I guess it's still got just over 2 years left on its ticket. Now back at Loughborough having spent the last year in the sheds at Butterley for new tyres. Think it needs some other fixes too before it's up and running again. (When it returned to Loughborough in early March (I think) the 5305LA reported there was "a couple of months" work to do). Presumably it will do some running-in turns on the GCR before venturing out on the main line, but not sure how much work it has booked at the moment.

I hope some of this is vaguely correct and useful!

(erhaps the mods may wish to amend the original title of this thread?)

mike1522 likes this.