If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Western Flavour for Kent & East Sussex Railway’s Great Gala Weekend

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Seagull, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Seagull

Seagull Member

The Annual “Great Gala Weekend” at the Kent & East Sussex Railway on 30th April , 1st & 2nd May, will have a distinctly Great Western feel this year as the line plays host to one of the most outstanding locomotives built for the famous GWR.

Dating from 1903, and built at the celebrated Swindon Locomotive Works, locomotive 3440 “City of Truro” is believed to be the first steam locomotive ever to reach a speed of 100mph. This feat was achieved when the engine was at the head of the important “Ocean Mails” express from Plymouth to London in 1904 and the locomotive will be making its first-ever visit to the K&ESR for this very special event.

“City of Truro” is the sole surviving member of the “City” class of GWR locomotives and is now part of the revered collection based at the National Railway Museum at York. She will be in action alongside the K&ESR’s resident stud of steam and diesel locomotives; in all, 11 engines are expected to star in the three-day rail festival.

These include another unique GWR survivor, No. 1638, the only remaining 16XX pannier tank locomotive, is celebrating it’s 60th birthday this year, having emerged from Swindon in 1951. Like 3440, 1638 will be working passenger trains on all three days. Class 03 diesel D2023, built at Swindon in 1958 and usually confined to shunting duties, will have a rare outing on passenger trains on Monday 2nd May. The final GWR link comes in the shape of the line’s pioneering Great Western diesel railcar – built in 1940 and now nearing the end of a 30-year restoration – which will be on display throughout the weekend.

In addition to “City of Truro”, three other locomotives aged over 100 will be working during the gala: – Terrier Class locos No. 3 “Bodiam” and 32670 and P Class No. 5753 – and the line’s lovingly-restored train of Victorian carriages will be amongst those in action for this special event.

Passenger trains will run along the 10½ miles of restored line from Tenterden Town Station to Northiam and Bodiam throughout the event with a regular service from 10.30am until 4.30pm on all three days plus “early bird” specials around 9.30am. There’s also a special “Fish & Chip Flyer” on the Saturday evening scheduled to be hauled by GWR locomotive No. 1638 – advance booking is essential for this train.

The Carriage & Wagon shed at Tenterden will be open allowing visitors to take a fascinating look behind the scenes and see the painstaking work that goes to restore and maintain the line’s fleet of historic coaches.

Away from the tracks, railway stalls and historic buses will be present at Tenterden Town Station over the entire event offering a glimpse into the world of railway preservation and of public transport from days gone by.

For more information or to book telephone 01580 765155 or visit the website www.kesr.org.uk.

2. RASDV

RASDV Member

Rather unusual choice, but I like it! I really enjoy visiting the K&ESR, super line, of course, even better with some GWR motive power running!

3. VirtualSteam

VirtualSteam Member

I shall certainly be going to this gala - cant wait to hear the noise Truro will make climbing Tenterden Bank

4. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hmm, now all we have to do is repaint a Terrier as GWR No.6, Portishead......!

5. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

Loco line up for the weekend is as follows:
    Sat - 23, 65, 1638, 5753, 32670, 32679, D6570 & Truro
    Sun - 14,65, 1638, 5753, 32670, 32678 & Truro
    Mon - 14, 23, 65,1638, 32670, 32678, D2023, Ford & Truro

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Will Bodiam be running as 3 or 32670 at this event?

7. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

re 32670 as far as i know its not due to be repainted till after this gala ,at least thats my understanding, but like everything it can change the latest "chatter" is that she will be going into kesr green soon after going into black , as a painter, it would have been better to go green first then into black ,now if we had thought this out a bit, we could have repainted No3 into GWR green for the gala as GWR No6 then into BR black
    in another thread, someone says that there are no plans to run on the extension other than on the one weekend in march , but what if it is successful and there is a market there, to run on the extension on future galas will it be looked at ? using the bay platform at bodiam a couple of 4 wheelers and one of the smaller locos , it need not effect the timetable and a way could be arranged to have a rudimentry pull -push system worked out?

8. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

My previous post may have given a hint.... but there again it may not.. only real way to know is to come and see ;-)

9. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

Martin,
    As far as I am aware/been advised, there are no plans to run to Junction Rd other than the March event, for the remainder of THIS year. So suggest anyone wanting that journey best come downnext weekend!