If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Grounded wagons at Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by P Scott, Sep 30, 2008.

1. P Scott

P Scott Member

Does anyone know the identities of the two grounded wagons that form the station "buildings" at Furnace Sidings and Whistle Inn Halt?

The red/cream one at Furnace looks a bit like a fish van body, whilst the bauxite one at Whistle Inn looks like a pre-nationalisation design.

I can post pictures if this will help.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Neither of these wagons are detailed on the P&BR's excellent website

2. P Scott

P Scott Member

Photos attached. May help jog someone's memory...

3. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    The red and cream one is a bog standard BR 12 ton van body. The other one I'm not 100% on without consulting the scriptures, definitely fairly modern though with those ply wood sides - don't think it's a fish van though with those ventilators.

4. P Scott

P Scott Member

Is there anyone on this forum who volunteers at the Pontypool & Blaenavon, who could help identify the vehicle numbers?

There was also another unidentified 12t Vanfit type-body which was sat on top of a Conflat wagon.

thanks

5. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

The plywood van with twin end vents is a late GWR design. Quite a few of these were also built by BR after nationalisation to several different Diagram nos eg 1/203 and 1/205 with nos around B753xxx. There were also some quite similar Shock Vans in this style.

The red and cream van with no end vents is almost certainly a BR Banana Van, probably Diagram 1/246 built around 1959 or 1960 and numbered B882xxx

David

6. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd agree with that. The GWR V36 and V39 Van fits, allong with the V37 and V38 vans were simular to the plywood one, all with plywood sides and with a mix of plywood or planked ends, and the Wriggly tin van could be one of any number of BR standerd diagrams.

7. P Scott

P Scott Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have heard that the red/cream van is no longer on the platform... Can anyone confirm this please?

8. alig8048

alig8048 New Member