If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 2-8-0 2885 news

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buseng, Jan 5, 2012.

1. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    It seems that Collett 2-8-0 No 2885 currently on static display at Birmingham Moor Street has been put up for sale. One of the reasons given by the owning group is that it is to fund other projects like the restoration of large prairie 4110.

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I believe it's been up for sale for a while.

I reckon one could buy 4 or maybe 5 of these 2-8-0s at the moment.

3. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Where's the Euromillions win when you want one?

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Is South Devon's working example still for sale?

Steven

6. 3855

3855 Member

Really?

7. Rumpole

Tea-Maker
    I can certainly think of 2859, 2885 and 3803 that have been discussed as being for sale lately. 2 others changed hands a little while ago, being purchased by Dinmore Manor Locomotive Limited (2874 and 3845), while 3855 which was purchased and moved from the Pontypool and Blaenavon to the East Lancs in 2008.

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I take the main reason why these locos are now available to buy is because the owning groups have come to the conclusion they have become to expensive to restore?

9. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Not really. 2859 was put up for sale to raise funds for the overhaul of one of the Small Prairies at Llangollen. The tender has been sold to the Manor Group at the SVR.
    3803 is in ticket and is for sale because it has been deemed too big for the DVR.
    As stated at the start of this thread 2885 has been put up for sale to raise funds to restore the Prairie Tank at Southall.

10. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Quite possibly. Relatively speaking, a large number of these 28xxs and 2884s survived because of Barry Scrapyard (NRM's 2818 being the only exception) and one might argue that there are too many of them for the current preservation scene. However, my totally biased support for 2807 and its sisters means that I can't support that view. Compared to some other ex-Barry locos, I would suggest that 28xxs and 2884s are by no means the most expensive to restore and their No 1 boilers, with commonality to the numerous surviving Halls, means that they are a relatively good investment in an expensive game. The word "relatively" is of course important here! For my money (not nearly enough money either I might add!) 2859 would be the best bet as its boiler is probably one of the best. 3803 is in full working order of course and therefore a somewhat different proposition. I'd love to own it!

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Thanks for your replies chaps.

Sorry to ask another question regarding these locos. If there is no group willing to take one of these locos on. Could these locos be used to help bring a long lost class of loco back to life again? For example wheels,boiler,frames and any other parts. Far better to find another use for these loco than see them rust away.

Thanks

12. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I believe 2861 (ex-Barry Ten) is already reserved for the GWS 47xx 2-8-0 project or at least part of it is. (Only the 1st 47xx had a No 1 boiler and that was for a short time so the 47xx planned for Didcot will need a new boiler specially made for it, hey-what's money for if not to spend eh!?)
    2859 is in several potential owners' sights but, inrecession wary 2012 , its going to be difficult to attract people to "take the plunge."

13. JWKB

JWKB Member

I have a question,

How the heck do you get it out of Moor St? I think It was craned into site, so would it need to be craned back out again surely not going to be cheap but someone pls correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Now where did I leave the piggy bank........

14. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

If my memory is correct 2885 was put into Moor St when the station was completely disconnected from the network. That of course is now not the case, although the platform 2885 is in is not connected. That said it might still be easier to lift it out and down onto a low loader on the road than to transfer it to a connected line for towing (if permission could be granted?) presumably to Tyseley.

As others have said, 2859 is probably the most attractive option as its boiler saw a relatively short working life. The loco also had added historical interest as it was the last loco to be overhauled by Stafford Road works in Wolverhampton.

Cheers,
    Andy

15. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I hope that 2885 and the other 28xx's up for sale all find good homes eventually. Of all the classes semt to Barry in large numbers, the 28xx's probably have the least appeal from a practical or glamour point of view. it is no surprise that most (if not all) of lthe ex-Barry BR 2-6-4Ts, GWR small prairies. Manors and 57xx panniers have been steamed (or not far off) being ideal locos for many preserved lines, while the WC/BB pacifics (of which 18 have been rescued from Barry) have a certain glamour element. The 28xxs are great on a longer line with no gauging problems, but most lines that come into this category have got one already (or don't need any more engines). Shame really - they are great engines. 2807 for example put in no less than 58 years as a front-line freihgg loco. That's impressive. No wonder Collett did little more than improve the cab and add the outside steam pipes when he built the 2884 batch. I'm really an SR man, but if I had the money, I would love to buy one.

16. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I wonder why none of the early locos were converted with the later cab? Odd that a simple cheap improvement like that would not have taken place should a cab need renewing (must have happened surely in their long lives)

Similarly, no 45xx were converted with bigger tanks and no early 57xx were converted with later cabs as far as I know.

17. Rumpole

Tea-Maker
    I wonder if one would fit at Swanage... ;-)

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

They will fit most places! Might need a slew or two to make platform clearances work but otherwise they are quite dainty things!! :)

19. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    If one fits then a fleet of 2/3 will fit... ;-)

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Churnet valley could certainly be a good home to a couple, for Cauldon low.