If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 5101 2-6-2T 4110 & 4121

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by acorb, Jun 9, 2009.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Does anyone know what's happening with this pair at Tyesley? Two potentially very useful locomotives that would be useful on heritage railways or dare I say it even the mainline..

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just a pair of Barry Wrecks awaiting happier times I assume ?

Whats Tyseley's long term aim with I wouldnt have thought Panniers and Praries fitted the picture of mainline operations and a depot with a handful of open days.

With the plans for the Stratford musuem, will they see a career on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway someday running from Stratford to Cheltenham perhaps ?

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

THey're not owned by Tyseley and are contract jobs, but both would look good on the North Warwicks.

4. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One is owned by Dr Kennedy, I believe, so a career somewhere closer to the Great Central might be more likely....

5. Clive Hanley

Clive Hanley Member

Accountant
  6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

4110 is owned by the GWR Preservation Group (Southall)

Keith

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    And 4121 is indeed owned by Dr John Kennedy, who also owns 4141 and 4953.

8. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Anthony Coulls in his post above writes that both locos are the subject of contract jobs at Tyseley - but I wonder what the immediate/medium future of 4121 is in particular now that 4141 is out of ticket and in need of overhaul? Any idea whether 4121 was/is intended for restoration in its own right, or just a source of spares for 4141?

9. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

whats the price of scrap these days?

I knw one of them, can't remeber which one, is literally a pair of frames, a boiler and some wheels, with a pair of side tanks, which u can put u fist through...useless. It has a plain vacuum pump casting with no machined parts...........useless. A pony truck............that belongs to someone else, and they want it back.

Can't see their being a "happy" ending, boilers might come in handy sometime tho!!

10. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Isn't that how any restoration begins? A lot of people said a similar thing about 34053 Sir Keith Park, but look at the work being done on it now. It never pays to say die in this business...

11. James

James Part of the furniture

9352, anyone? 8-[

12. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Don't take this as fact (I don't know Dr. Kennedy, I simply asked the same question on another forum a while back, so this is very much 'second hand' info) but from what I gather he does wish to restore 4121 'eventually' but 4141's overhaul is a higher priority.

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    A second 'Small Mogul' might be an interesting proposition, and would be useful addition on the smaller lines. The only thing is, these are 'Large Prairies', which would effectively convert to a normal 43xx class mogul, which might not be a bad thing :-k ...

14. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Argghh! Guys, chopping the back end off a 51 does not turn it into a 43xx!! ](*,) ](*,)

If you want to see one of those, either go to Didcot or Highley!

Now where did I leave my pills...

Anyway, would be nice to know if one of them did have some sort of future.

15. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Am I missing something here? Wasn't 9351 (5193) a large prairie and so didn't effectively convert to a normal 43xx class mogul -wrong sized boiler?

16. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

You could also throw the middle six wheels away, get rid of the boiler, shorten the frames a bit and make the remains into an interesting p.way trolley.

Wouldn't be preservation though, would it? ](*,)

Phil

17. captainj0hn

captainj0hn New Member

but think about it, how many spare part did they have to take from other locos to get it running, there are so many bullied heaps, eventually some of the will meet with the cutter torch, its inevitable! And in my opinion, thats all these locos are.....a source of spares......

18. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    i doubt anyone would break one of these given their usefullness and potentail value.Dont forget these locos were the main-stay of Brum suburban servces and even worked semi-fasts as far as as Kidderminster. Most restorations rely on new parts nowadays I would have thought, so give that the basis of main frames wheels boiler and cylinder are in good condition, they are a straight fprward job requiring only money.

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Ah, hang on, you are correct! So it would be a 9351 (or would it be 9350?) class... I must admit I was foxed by the 41xx number, and tried to pigeon-hole it into a pre-existing GWR class band. Suffice to say, I know why I'm a Southern enthusiast ;-) !

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    You are most certainly entitled to your opinion that they are merely a source of spares, but I personally don't agree with it. In the next few years, we will have seen 18 out of 20 Light Pacifics steamed in preservation, and one of the remaining two is a museum exhibit. Four MNs will have steamed over the last decade with a fifth museum exhibit (albeit sectioned), and another two are at the beginning of restoration. However, from this I can deduce that restoration depends on the locomotive's 'following', where the more prestigious classes are generally being restored before the smaller types at this moment in time.