If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR STEAM Museum in Swindon.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 45669, Mar 10, 2017.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Evening All,

Last month I took the train down to Swindon to visit the GWR STEAM Museum and I was quite impressed. If anyone's thinking of going, do. The pictures I took are now on my Flickr site and they might tempt you to go; this is the first one in the Photostream :

[​IMG]RD14396. 6000 at STEAM. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

They can also be found in this album :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72157677206202873

Hope they're of interest.

oddsocks and Bean-counter like this.
  2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Most certainly of interest Ron I enjoyed looking through the album. I haven't been to Swindon since 1955 when in the RAF and the railway works were in full swing at that time I guess. My wife is often suggesting a train trip to London but I think as she is only interested in a train ride Swibdon would be a better choice for me anyway. ;)

3. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well, it's on you way to London - and there's a large shopping complex next door!

4. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I found your album very interesting, especially as I've not yet visited Steam.

What struck me what how well Steam have interpreted their exhibits, using life-like dummies and other artefacts to bring exhibits to life and give them context. The NRM (and some other museums too) could learn a lot from Steam's displays.

Still one or two minor irritations, like an engine separated from its tender, and obtrusive information panels, but on the whole a very impressive exhibition.