If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hammant & Morgan Duette

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by brit70000, Dec 28, 2010.

1. brit70000

brit70000 Member

Hi. I've recently come by an old H&M Duette controller for my grandson's layout. On the sides of this unit there are sockets for 16V AC on one side & 12V DC on the other.
    Can anyone please tell me where I can get the correct size plugs to fit these output sockets?
    It would make a little boy (and a big one) happy if we can find the right plugs!

2. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    hi these are called banana plugs , places like maplins etc should stock them , the other place to try is your local music /instrument shop as these are often used as speaker plugs on old amplifiers so they may be able to help

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

If it is a duette then then the output should undo and then you just tighten the bare wire into it..................................................................................................................

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Hornby wires fit in ok, or if you dont mind heath robinson methods.. wrap some tin foil around the bare wires and a bit of the plastic wire, it will go in fine.

5. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As I recollect, these sockets could power an additional controller and/or a unit with switches in for point operation so the plugs were actually part of the extra units.

But 'banana plugs' should do for loose wire connections - 4mm plugs widely used for test lead connections are probably too large in diameter.

6. Pete Thornhill

That is correct.

7. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The two sets of terminals on the back are for the outputs to the track to control trains.
    434177626_tp.jpg
    The sockets on either end are for 12v DC (points, lighting, additional controllers etc) or 16v AC accessories. Plugs should be available from Maplin or similar outlets.

8. Pete Thornhill

Exactly and you can use bare wire connections by unscrewing the termimal as I said earlier. However after re reading your question then I guess you are on about the side outputs for the accesories/additional controllers. As stated you need banana plugs, you could go to maplins and pay over the odds or you could use these guys they are much cheaper - http://cpc.farnell.com/

9. brit70000

brit70000 Member

Many thanks to all who have replied. Indeed Peter I was referring to the side outputs!