If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Harz photo locations

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by zigzag, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Im thinking of taking in the Harz system & the plandampf in Apri, from a photographic point of view (& also the last Phantoms at Wittmund)

Does anyone know of a website which details good photolocations on the Harz system, or could provide any recommendations.

Its 20 years since Ive done the Harz, and so my knowledge of the area is now almost forgotten.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Endless number of locations in the Harz so difficult to know where to start. Are you thinking of concentrating on the Wernigerode - Brocken section or will you look at doing south of Drei Anne Hohne and the Selketal? Sadly I don't have enough time to include Wittmundhafen into my trip.

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I am in the Harz,have just done 3 days of charters and will post details on my return home after my visit to Poland.

4. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Spamcan81, ideally Id like to to a day on teh Wernigerode-Broken section and then a day trying to cover as much of the rest of the system as possible - but 2 days on the Harz is dependant on how much F4 (&A4) activity I see up at Wittmund, if there isnt too much then Ill do an extra day up there and cut down on the Harz, which will still be there next year.

Paul42, much appreciated if you could post any details on your return.

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Quite agree with your prioritising Wittmundhafen. Once the F4s are gone, they're gone but the Harz will still be there.
    The shed at Werhigerode is always worth a visit, especially at night. Next location worth doing is the undated crossing right through the middle of the crossroads at Wernigerode-Westerntor. Next there is the short section of road running at Kirchstrasse. Next there is a roadside section along Wustenteichen. Some people then go to the station at Steinerne Renne but I continue to the old loading pint at Thumkulenthal. Park at the monument on the road side and walk up the forestry track - marked on some maps as Thumkulenstrasse - until you get to the railway bridge. Location is up to the right by the old stone hut. There's also an exit shot at the nearby Thumkulenkopf tunnel. Much improved since recent tree felling. Access via forestry tracks - I recommend a good walking map of the Brocken area for this. Between here and the road crossing at Drein Annen (not Drei Annen Hohne - that's a bit further on) there are views of the line but these come and go with tree felling and planting. There was a big horse shoe curve but I'm not sure that it's still on.) Next there is a shot emerging from the trees by the Drei Annen Hotel and between there and Drei Annen Hohne the line is crossed by a couple of forestry tracks and shots are available from them. Fianl shot before Drei Annen Hohne is by the car park on the approach.
    Off to work now so I'll post more info later. If I get time I'll try and upload some examples.

6. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Thanks very much Spamcan, an evening with Googe Earth and my map may be in order

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Are you chasing by train or by car? The Selketalbahn can be chased quite easily by car. Half a dozen shots possible. There's a footpath down from the Brocken that follows the line, plus there's some shots from the top looking down. There's a couple of spots near Schierke too, but they're quite a walk. I'll post some photos from last week later this evening. As they're on Flickr you can see on the map where they are.

8. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Paul - who did you do the charters with?

9. Paul42

I am on Railtrail holiday. 2 arranged by Hsb - not just us, some had booked independantly.1 by Railtrail

10. 5944

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Here's a selection of photo points between Wernigerode and the Brocken taken between 1990 and 2011. Some are decidedly average but they'll give you an idea about the locations. I've done them in journey order from Wernigerode. Part two in the next post.

[​IMG]
    HSB01 Wernigerode Shed by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB02 Westerntor Crossing by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB02a Westerntor (An der Malzmühle) by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB03 Kirchstrasse by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB04 Wüstenteichen by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB05 Thumkuhlental Loading Point by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    HSB06 Thumkuhlenkopf Tunnel by King Cobra F2A, on Flickr

12. Spamcan81

Training moles
  13. Spamcan81

Training moles
  14. Spamcan81

Training moles
  15. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    For a first move try a look at Alles ber Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH (HSB) - Alles ueber Europas groesztes Dampfeisenbahnnetz and translate this into English. Be aware however that the Brocken is unpredictable and averages only 4 - 5 clear days per month; during the recent Railtrail tour (which I was also on) the conditions at the summit were 10 metres visibility; MINUS 10 degrees centigrade temperature and 60 centimetres of snow - so little chance og decent summit images on this occasion !

If you want more info feel free to contact me by PPM

16. Paul42

17. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I have now created my first online book using Tesco Photo creator to show 44 images from the latest Railtrail tour of the Harz railways. This tour was geared to joining the private tours of the Harz enthusiasts group but the expected locomotive availability (of prototype 99 222 and of the Selketal locos 99 6001 / 6102) fell through for various reasons. As compensation Railtrail owner Dave Felstead paid for a private charter with 99 5901 on 11/02 from Wernigerode to Benneckenstein for tour participants only after which they retiurned to Drei Annen Hohne on the normal service train with the option of staying there or taking a train to the summit.

During the tour I managed to take over 600 images and from this have selected 44 which have beeb created in a personal book which can be viewed at [http://tesco.albumprinter.com/view-online-photo-book/7871f740-2ecf-4676-982d-25a8453c6ed2
    share-online-photo-book[/url] any comments welcome

18. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Fred - a lovely set of photos. I have only been to the Harz in Summer so it was interesting to see how the same locations looked so different in the snow. Regards Ray.

19. 5944

20. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Thanks everyone for the info in this thread, its most useful, and some lovely photos to boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.