If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hayling Seaside Railway, Steam and Gala Days in 2011.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 4073, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Hayling Seaside Railway has booked 'Emmet' from the Moors Valley Railway to return to Hayling for the 2011 summer season. 'Emmet' will be steamed in June, July, August, and September, with the exact dates currently being decided.

The dates of the first Steam and Goods Gala has just been announced and is on the weekend of 18th and 19th June. 'Emmet' will of course be on passenger trains with the railways diesel fleet hauling goods trains.

I will post updates on here as they come, and for more details of the Hayling Seaside Railway, see the railways' website at www.haylingseasiderailway.com. Also you can follow the Hayling Seaside Railway on Facebook and Twitter.

And if you want to see what the line is like, see this Youtube video below, or here for a full length cab ride on 'Emmet', filmed at last years Steam and Goods Gala.

[youtube]QHdGIsf7-Vs[/youtube]

[​IMG]

2. Sam_82C

Sam_82C New Member

Research for the National Trust
    Thats great news Chris, will have to come for a visit when Emmet is running! Been meaning to come down for ages as you know!

3. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I saw "Emmet" at the Moors Valley Railway, where it is a kept in a small garden shed on the platform at Kingsmere station. The staff at the Moors Valley were very welcoming, inviting me and my kids into the loco shed and signalbox, and opening Emmet's shed without me asking. If you're in the area, it's well worth a visit, but watch out for the parking charges. They soon rack up when you spend time being shown round the railway.

Richard

4. 4073

4073 New Member

The first Steam and Goods Gala on 18th and 19th June now has its’ own pages on the Hayling Seaside Railways website. Check it out here at www.haylingseasiderailway.com/gala/. You will find details of the locos, timetable that includes the goods trains, and photos of past galas. Even with the increased costs of a steam loco and goods trains, there will be no increase in fares! So this gala weekend will be one of the best times to visit!

Other news from the Hayling Seaside Railway, Simplex 'Alan B' (Works No.7199 of 1937) has made its' first test moves after the fitting of a new (out of a cherry picker) engine and hydraulics. This would be the third of fourth time it has been rebuilt in its' life, it previously had a 3 cylinder Lister engine which hanged over the side. Once we are happy with the hydraulics, and new body will be fitted along with air brakes.

We have also been busy with p/way work with replacement of ex Alton Towers rail which has come to the end of its' passenger working life. The stretch from near Easkoke Crossing to Coastguard Crossing has already been replaced, another stretch being replaced this week. This work has made a much smoother ride at the Eastoke end ot the line.

If you would like you join us, please do pop into the shed at Beachlands and speak to one of the volunteers.

[​IMG]

5. 4073

4073 New Member

[​IMG]

Emmet will be hauling a goods train at the Steam and Goods Gala on the 18th and 19th June! The steam goods will be running before the first passenger train and is likely to leave Beachlands at 10am each day. After Emmet has hauled the first goods train, it will spend the rest of the day on passenger trains, Also at Beachlands for the gala will be a display of parts from the 'Hayling Steam Loco Project', the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust will have their sale stand on Saturday 18th only. Our Simplex 'Alan B' will also be on display in the yard, and for a video of a early test run, see the railways Facebook Page. For more info on the gala, see www.haylingseasiderailway.com/gala/.

Emmet is due to arrive on Hayling in the third week of May, and the 2011 steaming dates will be announced soon!

We are also on the lookout for a visiting diesel (or petrol) to haul goods trains at the Steam and Goods Gala. If there is anyone out there with a loco (and can transport it to Hayling themselves), would like a weekend out at the seaside to play with skips, please PM me. Minimum back to backs is 21 1/2", max width is 5' 6" and the loco must be able to run over the 20LB per yard rail in the yard.

And to round off this post, below is a video of a full lenght cab ride on Ruston LBT 'Edwin' from Eastoke to Beachlands. The recent rail relaying work can also be seen. Click here if a link is needed.

[youtube]uCTpP57H3WI[/youtube]

6. 4073

4073 New Member

The first steaming dates for Emmet have been announced as the 28th and 29th of May. First train is at 11am from Beachlands, with trains every 45 minutes. For more details, see the railways website at www.haylingseasiderailway.com. Anyone arriving early before the first train, will be able to see Emmet raising steam at Beachlands. Emmet is due to arrive later this week, so keep an eye out on the railways Facebook Page.

More steaming dates after the Gala on the 18th and 19th June, will be announced soon.

[​IMG]

7. 4073

4073 New Member

Emmet has now arrived at the Hayling Seaside Railway, and is safely tucked away inside the shed at Beachlands. Work will now start on coverting the westinghouse air brakes from twin pipe to single, before Emmet is let loose with a passenger train. If anyone is visting Hayling when Emmet is not in steam and would like to see Emmet in the shed, just ask on of the Train Crew.

Other Hayling news, Simplex Alan B is having the framework for the new body made up. For photos see www.haylingseasiderailway.com/gallery/alanb.html.

[​IMG]

8. 4073

4073 New Member

9. 4073

4073 New Member

Tomorrow is the first day of steam hauled passenger trains for Emmet on the Hayling Seaside Railway! Emmet will be on all trains over both days of the weekend, with the first train departing Beachlands Station at 11am and then every 45 minutes. Last train will depend on weather and passenger numbers and will be displayed on the timetable boards at the entrance of the platforms. Normal fares apply, so if you are in the area, why not make a visit! Full details at www.haylingseasiderailway.com.

And if to want to take lineside photos, as the photo below shows. No lineside pass is required!

[​IMG]

10. 4073

4073 New Member

More steaming dates for Emmet have now been announced! They are; 25th and 26th June, 23rd and 24th July and 6th August! The 6th August is the Hayling Carnival day and all locos that are fit for traffic will be out on the passenger trains.

Don't forget the Steam and Goods Gala coming up this month with Emmet in steam, on the 18th and 19th June. Simplex Alan B (EHLR No.1 and Simplex works No.7199) will also make its first public appearance in operation after it's rebuild, with a new (out of a cherry picker) engine and hydraulic drive, hauling goods trains alongside the passenger trains. The body work will still be 'work in progress' but it will be the first time to see Alan B running since 2006!

For more details see www.haylingseasiderailway.com, and the Steam and Goods Gala Page.

[​IMG]

11. 4073

4073 New Member

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is the start of the Steam and Goods Gala! All locos will be out over the weekend, with the Hayling fleet on goods trains only. This will be the best chance to see the Hayling Seaside Railway at its' busiest, with almost all stock in operation and the shed nearly empty!

The plan for the weekend is as follows;

A steam goods with Emmet will run before the first train, on both days. Departing Beachlands around 10am and returning about 10:40am.

The first steam passenger train will depart Beachlands at 11am and Eastoke Corner at 11:20am. With following trains every 45 minutes.

The first goods train with the Hayling fleet will depart Beachlands at 11:20am and Eastoke Corner at 11:45am. The goods trains will be formed with the railways Skips, open wagons, bolster wagons modified for carrying rail for the rail relaying work, and for this year the Knebworth and Wintergreen bogie underframe, before it is turn into the fifth bogie carriage. Locos will be changed throughout the day and each turn will be decided by what is available and what the crews want to take. So it will be a surprize for anyone on the lineside! Me and the webmaster are already planning a full line cavalcade with the Hayling fleet as pictured below, but with Alan B this year!

On the Saturday the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust will have its' stand at Beachlands.

And after the last train has arrived back at Beachlands on Sunday, there will be a loco line up with all locos on the first striate outside Beachlands!

As you see from the photos, the line is mostly unfenced making lineside photo available to all! And with trains leaving each end every 20/25 minute this is the best weekend to visit! So why not park at Beachlands (the cheapest place to park and the station is in the funfair car park) catch the train to Eastoke, walk back a little for some linesiding, catch the train back to Beachlands and finish the day linesiding at the Beachlands end of the line! Anyone arriving early before 9:30am will be able to see Emmet raising steam outside Beachlands.

Normal fares apply and for more details see the railways website at www.haylingseasiderailway.com and the Gala pages with timetable, at www.haylingseasiderailway.com/gala/

[​IMG]

12. 4073

4073 New Member

[​IMG]

Emmet's next steaming dates on the Hayling Seaside Railway, is this weekend on the 23rd and 24th July! As always, the first passenger train departs Beachlands at 11am and Eastoke Corner at 11:20am, with following trains every 45 minutes. Timetable boards at the entrance to each station will show all trains for the day. And of course if you arrive early, you will be able to see Emmet raising steam outside the shed at Beachlands.

I’ve seen, that the Moors Valley Railway has a gala on at the same time, celebrating of 25 years of operation. And with Emmet being Moors Valley Railway number 20, why not visit both events and see the Moors Valley fleet running on two railways at the same time!

Attached to this post are a couple of shots from last month’s Steam and Goods Gala. Emmet is shown above on the first goods train of the day, with the Isle of White in the background. This shot also shows the great view the railway has of the Solent and Isle of White!!! Below is a shot of Alan B on one of its' first runs in public view on the goods train. Edwin was towed dead behind in case of a failure, which gave Alan B a good load!

[​IMG]

13. TimmyRaa

TimmyRaa New Member

Slightly off topic i know, but Pops and myself went on a south coast road trip and turned up at Hayling last friday on the off chance that they were running, only to see Bob closing the shutters at the station. we decided to return on our journey back to Plymouth.

Bob recognised us and promptly ofered us a brew in Loston Bodge Works, where we were treated to a tour around the facilities.

This is a cracking little railway, and one of the friendliest i have visited

Thanks guys, we shall be returning

14. 4073

4073 New Member

Emmet will be in steam this Saturday for the Hayling Island Carnival! The Hayling Island Carnival is the busiest day of the year for the Hayling Seaside Railway with two passenger trains out (weather and staff depending) and all operational locos out on the trains. First train leaves Beachlands at 11am and Eastoke Corner at 11:20am, with trains running late into the evening, which previous years the last train has been 8pm from Beachlands. Please check the timetable boards on the day, at the entrance of the platforms for the full list of trains through out the day. Generally the first train runs at 45 minute intervals and when the second train is added, trains depart each end at 20/25 minute intervals. Loco are likely to be changed ad-hoc, so if you want to travel behind a particular loco, please ask the staff at Beachlands.

Last year’s carnival was very busy with two trains and Emmet, Jack, Alistair, and Edwin all taking turns on the trains. We even manage to time Emmet to take part in the Carnival Possession, which uses the seafront road alongside the railway. Emmets' GWR whistle could be heard over on the Isle of White on that run! Even beating the fire engine on being the loudest engine!

Thanks for your post TimmyRaa. We do try our best and anyone who want to see the locos in the shed (including Emmet if the lads haven't pulled it out the shed) only has to ask. The railway is now open every day until the begining of September and runs on all Wednesdays, weekend and school hoildays through out the year!

[​IMG]

15. 4073

4073 New Member

Emmet will be taking a little trip away from the Hayling Seaside Railway this weekend, to visit the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trusts railway at Bursledon Brickworks! The event is on the 21st August and details can be found here at: http://www.bursledonbrickworks.org.uk/aug2011.php. Emmet is covering for Wendy, whos' boiler is under overhaul. Emmet visited Bursledon Brickworks last year and hauled the first steam passenger trains on the HNGRT Bursledon Light Railway. This railway has a nice gradient on it (said to be around 1 in 35?), so Emmet will have to be worked. Also the tractions engines (which also give rides) run past and over the railway and can be photograph side by side. The railway is being built in stages, which will eventually form a loop around the car park and has been extended since last year.

Emmet will return to Hayling and will be in steam in September for the weekend of the 17th and 18th and I've be told, it's another Steam and Goods Gala!

16. 4073

4073 New Member

We will be having Emmet in steam this weekend, for the second of our Steam and Goods Galas! Emmet will be on all passenger trains and our rebuilt Simplex Alan B will also making an appearance on the goods trains, showing off the progress on its’ new bodywork! Jack and Edwin will be joining Alan B on the goods trains, with Alistair on display at Beachlands. For something a bit different, on Sunday we are going to do a morning loco line up at Beachlands before the first train, with the sun in the right direction. The first passenger train will leave Beachlands at 11am and 11:20am from Eastoke, with the goods train following 20 minutes after the passenger train. Normal fairs will still apply.

If you want to see Emmet in steam at Hayling, I strongly recommend you visit this weekend! And with the Moors Valley Railway having their Garratt Gathering on at the same time, why not visit both events!

[​IMG]

17. 4073

4073 New Member

18. 4073

4073 New Member

I have been informed that Emmet has now left the Hayling Seaside Railway and has returned to the Moors Valley Railway. It is unlikely that a steam loco will return to Hayling for 2012, giving our volunteers that look after Emmet, a chance to work on our own steam loco project.

However, 2013 is not only the 10th anniversary of the Hayling Seaside Railway, but the 50th anniversary since the closure of the Hayling Billy. A group separate from the railway and society, has been formed on the island to promote events on the whole of Hayling Island, that celebrates the anniversary of the Hayling Billy. Their website can be found at www.haylingbilly50.co.uk. The railway will be joining in with the events, so keep an eye out nearer the time!

Don't forget the Hayling Seaside Railway operates Weekends and Wednesday throughout the year and daily during school holidays! www.haylingseasiderailway.com and www.facebook.com/haylingrailway.