If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help For Heroes, now 25th February 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Dan Hill, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The latest Steam Railway magazine is that another railtour is being run to raise money for Help For Heroes with the 40th Anniversary of steam returning to the mainline as a theme.

The tour runs from Paddington to Hereford with a Diesel (which may be the Royal Class 67) calling at Slough, Reading, Swindon. 6024 King Edward 1st takes over at Hereford and follows the route of 6000 King George V to Birmingham and then 60163 Tornado takes over for the run back to London.

The tour is being planned by Steam Dreams and the A1 Trust and Jeremy Hosking have offered 60163 and 6024 for free, Network Rail have waived track fees, Bells and Two Tones are sponsoring the provison of water. The stock is hoped to be the Royal Scot set.

Sounds like a great tour and all for a great cause as well. The Help For Heroes Tour last year with 48151 and 70013 (as 70048) raised £55,000.

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Re: Help For Heroes/40th Anniversary of Mainline Steam Return Special October 1st

Date has been changed to the 8th October - see the Steam Dreams Website

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Re: Help For Heroes/40th Anniversary of Mainline Steam Return Special October 8th

Yes it would have clashed with the Train of Hope, so a very sensible move.

4. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Re: Help For Heroes/40th Anniversary of Mainline Steam Return Special October 8th

With 6024 down to do it, and it being a re-run of the 1971 return to steam with 6000, I think it would be great if 6024 could run with 6000's name and number plates, and even the bell (if a way can be found to attach it without drilling holes in unwanted places!)
    I wonder if this is already on the cards?.......

5. james1983

james1983 Member

I know it's a long way off but already booked up and can't blooming wait, haven't been behind 6024 since she did the king circular after her overhaul back in 2002! Blooming heck!!

6. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation

are many members on this train?

8. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

yes, I'm in cattle class

9. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Surely there won't be many seats on this train as its going to Snow Hill. If 6024, the train and 60163 are in the platform at Snow Hill together, the max length of the train is surely no more than 8 coaches?

10. Argus

Argus New Member

Correct CampainR, which presumably will come down to 5 vehicles, 1 kitchen car, and 2 support coaches?

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

What makes you think that this train is double-headed? I thought the plan was that 6024 would work the train Hereford-Oxford-Birmingham, then 60163 would take over for Birmingham - London. That's also what UKsteam.info is suggesting. Have I missed something?

12. james1983

james1983 Member

Based on my run last year to Didcot with Vintage trains, we had 10 on plus POB, the Hall and Castle. Sadly I don't have an electronic copy of the Sectional Appendix to hand from my previous job to confirm platform length but I would of thought Snow Hill could handle 12 cars ok plus engine. Also isn't 6024 due to travel onto the SVR after Snow Hill with it's POB? Should be able to shunt the stock back with 60163 when she arrives on.

Also, reading the blurb on Steam Dreams website the stock is due to be the Royal Scot set, I don't know how many were behind Brit yesterday, but one could assume, (dangerous thought this), it'll be the same set length.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.

Why two support coaches, that would be very unusual as even double heading one suffices, and it means an extra coach for passengers, a more important consideration.

14. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator

Plus they're not double heading are they so 6024 and her (well his) support will detach at Snow Hill and 60163 and hers will then be attached.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think i know what CampaignR is getting at, the Shakespeare Express is limited to load 8 as that's the maximum amount you can run round with at Snow Hill, Trains of bigger length have been accomadated previously, but have not involved a run round.

A few years ago 60009 did Snow Hill - Paddington with a long load (well in excess of 8 anyway) the ECS was dragged in backwards from Small Heath by a 66 with No9 hanging off the back so no run round took place.

16. campainr

They don't have to be double headed for my point to apply. Unless NR will allow 60163 and support coach to be coupled up outside the starting signal and then the train to be propelled back or the train is hauled back to Tyseley which is possible I'm sure 8 is the maximum, unless P2 can take 9?

EDIT: I think that using a diesel take the train back to Tyseley will be the most likely option and then re-engineing in the Goods lines that run between the works and the DMU sidings.

17. campainr

Steam Railway now says 6024 will run ECS to Stourbridge and 60163 with be attached there ready for the return run.

18. Robbo

Robbo Member

I have just received a brochure from Steam Dreams and it seems strange there is no mention of this tour. The brochure covers tours from Sept to Dec 2011.

19. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The brochure came today and I also thought it was a bit odd that the Help For Heroes trip is not mentioned. I am going to book it up at the weekend.

20. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

It is not a Steam Dreams promoted tour, they are only acting as booking agents.