If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help with capabilities of FMSR Malaya Railways

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Fatboy Coxy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Fatboy Coxy

Fatboy Coxy New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all

I'm totally new to steam trains, ridden one in the lake district, put my head out the window to see the beautiful sight, and when I sat back down, everyone laughed at my sooty face!

I'm looking for help in understanding the capabilities of the FMSR at the beginning of the second world war, 1939-42. I have been referring to the Wikipedia site below for information
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_Malay_States_Railways

Much of the rail network was single track, with passing loops. The fuel used was from the Batu Arang mines near Kuala Lumpur, and was Lignite.

I'm interested in the logistics of how big a single train capability in freight pulled could they have, given their trains, how many trains might be worked over a line, the average speeds that might be expected and a reasonable troop train capacity in the numbers of troops carried. Can anyone give me some pointers please

Regards
    Fatboy Coxy

2. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Try the British Library, search Malaya + railways.

3. Fatboy Coxy

Fatboy Coxy New Member

Hi Huochemi, thanks for your reply

I followed your advice, but haven't found any books that give what I want.

There is another web site about the FMSR which I recommend, namely
    http://searail.malayanrailways.com/KTM.htm

I guest what I'm looking for is someone who can look at the power and built of the trains detailed on these two web sites, and give me a indication of what they would be capable of pulling. I mentioned the fact that most of the rail network was single track, and that they used Lignite, because I think they would have a significant impact on network performance.

Regards
    Fatboy Coxy