If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heritage Railway Long Term Goals

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by JFlambo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

The GCR's 'Bridging The Gap' project is one of the biggest in heritage railway history, as was the Bluebell Railway's recent extension. These were both long term goals of both railways.

So I'm just pondering; what are the other big projects? Ambitious projects that are potentially long term goals of heritage railways, that may come to the limelight in the future when the railway in question feels it's in fit state to tackle the challenge.

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Churnet Valley have a rather unique project, in that they aren't trying to re-open a single line but a network covering over 30miles of track. This is being done alongside the commercial 'Moorlands & City Railway Co.'
    > http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/support-us
    > http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/

Services atm operate between Froghall and Leek Brook Junction, with agreement in place for services onto the Eastern Cauldon Branch.
    It is hoped to reach an agreement with Network Rail to begin operating trains for 3.5 mile West to Endon along the Stoke Line in 2014.
    The planning application for our North extension into Leek is hoped to be made at the Start of 2014 too.

Future extensions are;
    - 1-mile North into Leek (Trackbed owned by Council)
    - 10 mile Re-opening of Leek Brook to Stoke-on-Trent WCML Line West (Line owned by Network Rail)
    - Upgrading of 8.5 mile Cauldon Branch and re-opening of Cauldon Lowe Quarry for Commercial Freight Operations (Line leased to MCR)
    - Re-opening of former 2-mile Waterhouses Branch from Caldon Jcn for Heritage Services (Trackbed owned by Tarmac)
    - Upgrading of closed Oakamoor line, South of Froghall (Currently used for storage purposes only)
    - Possible of further extension South from Oakamoor to Alton Towers (Trackbed owned by Council)

Below is the Council's Proposed Masterplan for the entire area, including their current views of the CVR
    > http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/sm/council-services/area-action-plans/churnet-valley-masterplan

The aim is to eventually have upto 4 types of services;
    - Commuter Service Leek to Stoke
    - Commercial Freight into Cauldon Lowe
    - Heritage services Leek - Froghall/Oakamoor/Alton, with additional trains to Waterhouses via the Triangle at Leek Brook Junction
    - Tourist Specials from Stoke to Alton Towers, should this extension be agreed to

Lots to happen, and will be amazing if it all comes off. Definitely an exciting time to be part of the CVR though!

JFlambo likes this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

GWSR extension, repairing bridges (see link in signature) and rebuilding Broadway, then onto Honeybourne, I reckon (and this is purly my own guess) Broadway by 2017 and Honeybourne by 2025, then of course there is the possibility of extending down to cheltenham spa. Not sure how long that would make the railway, but I think CRC to Broadway will end up being 15 miles, which seems like a good distance, pity a mainline connection isn't closer, otherwise I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to carry onto Honeybourne. Although officially the long term goal of the railway i to reach Stratford-upon-avon, I doubt that is very likely now, there're too many roads in the way etc.

then there's the SVR's share offer for redeveloping Bridgenorth and overhauling Hagley Hall, but I know less about this as I'm not as close to the SVR as the GWSR.

Indeed, CVR developments really will become exciting in the next few years, although I do wonder if it will all be worth it, 30 miles sounds like a lot to me, but that's a subject for another debate!

JFlambo likes this.
  4. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

Peak Rail - connection to Buxton or Peak Forest

JFlambo likes this.
  5. According to the Draft Ten Year Plan currently out to consultation with stakeholders, the strategic vision for the West Somerset Railway plc up to 2024 is:

"To continue to be seen as a leading heritage, preservation and tourist railway, contributing to the economic well-being of West Somerset and providing a high-quality experience for our customers, staff and volunteers. Working with external partners, to grow and deliver the sustainability of the WSR and to ensure that the railway can be operated safely with facilities and infrastructure that are fit for purpose".

which means:

1 Enhancing the quality and attractiveness of the experience offered.
    2 Enhancing the quality and capacity of the railways infrastructure.
    3 Strengthening the ability to continue to provide a reliable steam hauled passenger operation.
    4 Succession planning for all roles and responsibilities on the railway.
    5 Ensuring the safety, compliance and regulation are adhered to at all times.
    6 Improving the way we engage, support and value all who work on the railway.
    7 Investing in the care of heritage buildings, vehicles and collections.
    8 Working to strengthen the railways finances to secure long-term sustainability.

So, whilst the summary does not spell out any particular projects, the detail contains some fairly major projects (or scoping of) including the development of opportuities presented by the Norton Triangles; Charter Trains; services to/from Taunton; the development of operational capacity and facilities at Bishops Lydeard; the development of operational capacity along the Railway (possible loops and double line). It should be stressed that whilst some of these projects are underway (eg Williton loop), many are not yet planned and, assuming they are included in the Final Plan, they will remain subject to scoping, funding needs and prioritisation. There is clearly much to be done, but sensibly, only when all the conditions are right.

Steve

JFlambo likes this.
  6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Is that still a 'plan' or just a distant dream?

7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    That's not the end of the story as far as the Bluebell is concerned. the "Northern Extension" is now open, but the trackbed to Ardingly has been purchased, along with some redundant bridge spans. However, work won't be started on the "Western Extension" for some time, as there is a need for a period of consolidation on the existing line, with some urgent track maintenance required, a shortage of larger locomotive to address and quite a few other things. It's a big unknown as to how far the "Western Extension" will be able to go. From Ardingly to Copyhold Junction, the line is intact and used for stone trains. I guess (and this is only a personal thought - not official) that it would be possible for the Bluebell to take the trackbed over and allow the stone trains to continue - in a similar manner to the freight on the GCR(N), but Copyhold Junction isn't really suitable as a terminus, and reaching Haywards Heath will be a major challenge.

Extending south towards Lewes is mentioned in the Bluebell's most recent long-term plan document, but it's a very long-term objective, and won't be looked at until the Western extension is complete. The obstacles are huge, including the redevelopment of Newick & Chailey station site, another cutting filled will some even nastier stuff than the rubbish dumped in Imberhorne, and then there is the question of how do you get into Lewes? \All traces of the first few hundred yards of the route from Lewes Station towards Calver Junction have been obliterated.

Besides reopening more miles of line, the Bluebell seems to have years of work ahead in the C&W department. There are numerous Maunsell vehicles which have never worked in preservation, and some very rare pre-grouping vehicles including an LSWR corridor coach and the remains of an SER "Gilberts" car.

Thinking more widely, It's good that there are so many lines that are still going for new challenges, with the GCR and GWSR in particular embarking on some very ambitious projects. Obviously, whether it is necessarily sensible to extend and extend is another matter, and very dependent on the individualities of each specific line. However, in contrast with the Bluebell, which may still have some unfulfilled long-term goals 80 or 90 years after starting operations, it has always impressed me how the Keighley & Worth Valley line still engenders such enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great line (and especailly when it has 34092 back in service!), but right from day 1, it was a complete branch line with no possibility of an extension to galvanise the membership. It also was one of the first lines to return all its ex-Barry locos to steam. I'd be very interested to read the thoughts of someone from the K&WVR on the subject of this thread.

Sheff, Corbs and JFlambo like this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
  10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I believe the Avon Valley has long term plans to get to the outskirts of Bath.

11. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

12. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

In addition to the ones that have already been mentioned, the two that spring immediately to my mind are i) the project to fill the missing section between the K&ESR and the RVR, which will rejoin the K&ESR to the national network (in addition to producing one of the longer heritage lines in the country), and ii) the Norfolk Orbital Railway scheme.

Noel

13. flying scotsman123

I agree, just because you can extend, doesn't mean you should. with the GWSR, I think it's justified, certainly to Broadway, as it is already firmly established as a popular tourist "honeystone" town and it is likely that you will get people from both ends wishing to go to the other. As I said in my previous post, I only wish that the mainline connection was closer, otherwise really I see no need to get to honeybourne, but the mainline connection is where it is, and I can see that it is useful, hopefully it will be sustainable to run that length of line. However, I think I'd prefer a mainline connection at Cheltenham just to bring the railway even closer to the centre of Cheltenham, rather than still a short bus journey away, but honeybourne will be easier to reach, as trackbed is in better condition (for a railway - bowstring bridge etc. in cheltenham).

14. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
  15. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Page 17 of the plan states:

Onwards to Malton
    and York?
    From time to time the exciting
    prospect of reopening the
    long-dismantled railway from
    Pickering back to Rillington
    Junction is raised.
    If this were done trains could
    once again run from London,
    Leeds, Manchester and York
    across the Yorkshire Moors to
    Whitby.
    It would, however, radically
    change the unique nature of
    NYMR as a heritage railway, and
    the implications for the NYMR
    and the region would need very
    careful consideration.
    For the foreseeable future
    we will be focussing all our
    attention on the programme
    outlined in this document. But if
    circumstances change and others
    seek to see the line reopened
    we would expect to be closely
    involved.

The drive behind the "buzz" was largely form the North Yorkshire County Council.

Clearly, the NYMR is keen to be involved in any developments in this direction, but this never really and NYMR initiative and I think the brief note from Steaming On summarises the issues well.

Steven

16. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There's still too much to be done on the NYMR itself before worrying about extensions. Malton is less of a destination than Pickering, which at least has an existing castle, the Beck Isle Museum, and a weekly market to provide interest as a destination. The majority of those who support this potential extension seem more concerrned with making the NYMR part of the national network than with enhancing its value as the heritage railway it now is.

17. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The Cambrian Heritage Railway has ambitious plans to break out of both operating centres and become a fully operational joined up line with a cross platform interchange with the rail network at Gobowen. The route will pass through Oswestry which has one of the largest original station buildings in preservation before arriving at Llynclys where the line divides in two.

See the map for some features along the line.
    http://www.cambrianrailways.com/html/map_of_chr_lines.html

After years of being hemmed in by the still 'operational' line the time has come to break out. Much has been done behind the scenes and we are hoping to have all of the legal matters sorted out soon to allow trains to operate over more of the route.

18. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I believe there are going to be proposals outlined over the coming few months on the extension to Newbridge, near Bath park and ride, as well as the intermediate stop at Kelston.

19. louis.pole

louis.pole New Member

To use a wartime phrase "Somewhere in England"
    I'm sure the SVR should be congratulated for both projects but they seem a little unambitious for a Premier League line.

20. flying scotsman123

I'll grant you Hagley Hall maybe, but redeveloping Bridgenorth from container city into something resembling a gwr station from more than one photographic angle will take a lot of money, and will be something notably different. perhaps not as glamorous as some of the extension projects, but still important and will hopefully entice more visitors when facilities improve.