If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heritage Railway Mag Issue 110

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by cct man, Apr 9, 2008.

1. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Folks,
    The article on page 84 about the Mid-Hants was a good article from Robin Jones and very well presented.

Just one moan if I may. I know that Robin is a big Bluebell fan, always has been, and he certainly has his feet under the table there.
    Surely though he could have kept the Bluebell away from an article about another Railway? I notice there was no reference to the Bluebell when he did last months on the west Somerset.

Therefore when Mr Jones does another article on the Bluebell, (and he surely willbefore long), will he balance this out by referring to the Mid-Hants?

Perhaps Mr Jones and others would like to reply to this thread.

Regards
    Chris Willis

2. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Also noticed that Mr Jones referred about extending west, he is obviously living in his fantasy land again!

If only he had taken the trouble to look at Google earth, he would realise its a no go as far as Winchester is concerned and virtually impossible to go to Itchen Abbas, i believe there are at least two houses on the formation before it leaves Alresford.

Even going to Itchen Abbas would involve great expense, for very little benefit.

Perhaps Colin Chambers mentioned it as a tongue in cheek remark, but Robin Jones took it that a serious consideration was being given.

3. Robin Jones

Robin Jones New Member

I would be truly honoured if I really did have my feet under the table at the Bluebell Railway as it is indeed a magnificent line. But so is the Mid-Hants, and since I last visited all the locations on the line, it has come on in leaps and bounds, as I reported.
    Cross references are made to other railways as deemed appropriate and topical.

4. Robin Jones

Robin Jones New Member

*The feature was proofread by Colin Chambers before publication - Robin Jones.

5. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

*The feature was proofread by Colin Chambers before publication - Robin Jones.[/quote:k60nc9up]

Hi Robin

Good to see you here - as a subscriber, I hope you'll keep on coming and commenting!

6. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hi Robin

Good to see you here - as a subscriber, I hope you'll keep on coming and commenting![/quote:2dm3m2rk]

Seconded, all in all a very good article and well written. Just a few niggles I guess but it would not do for all of us to be perfect?

Best regards
    Chris

7. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    wrong loco in comment or picture in KWVR articale

8. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Robin, well done for keeping the dream alive!
    Part B of my plan to reinstate the line to Winchester Junction involves winning the Euromilliions rollover so it's only a matter of time now.
    Seriously, someone has rightly said that the economics of extending could not add up so the only way the line could extend is some wild insane philanthropic gesture of £10-£20million. Interestingly this sum is around .0005% of what the Government have committed in an equally wild insane philanthopic gesture to support two Scottish banks so you never know!
    Keep up the good work