If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heritage Railways - looking back in 2013 and looking forward to 2014

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Kinghambranch, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At this time of year, there is a natural desire to try and take stock of what has happened in the past 12 months and predict what the next year might hold. I guess Heritage railways are no exception and so here are a few of my thoughts on significant events past and future, restricted to the UK sector, for what they’re worth, which may, if nothing else, provide some sort of reflection.

The year got off to a snowy start with the "Steam on the Met" celebration at the start of the year (and again at the end) which was an excellent ambassador for the steam heritage movement and the national media gave good coverage to what must have seemed, to some, a typically quirky and British event.

Several heritage lines made great progress during 2013, either in consolidating their positions, or in expanding their lengths. Pride of place in the latter category for me just has to be the Bluebell, with its monumental struggle to reach East Grinstead realised at last when the extension was officially opened in March in the middle of almost Arctic weather. However, progress by other railways in the expansion business, such as the Glos-Warks Railway’s continuing extension to Broadway and rebuilding work at the Broadway station site, the Llangollen Railway’s Corwen extension work, the Churnet Valley and Moorland & City Railway’s progress, the Cambrian Railways project, the K&ESR Robertsbridge extension and the Spa Valley’s link into Eridge are evidence of massive investment in the heritage railway sector. However, it is the start of the linking of the GCR and GCR(N) lines which is possibly of the greatest significance. 2014 promises much for this project to bridge the gap – again, I have been surprised and delighted that this is even happening given the overall UK financial situation.

There has been some criticism, not without substance, on this forum of some heritage railways storing up much trouble for the future by not maintaining what they already have. However there have been notable exceptions where there has been massive investment by many railways just in providing funding and manpower to improve or conserve what they already have. Again, using the Glos-Warks Railway as an example, there has been crucial work done on lineside clearance and culvert renewal during 2013, the C&W Dept now has a new finishing/paint shop, Cheltenham Race Course is getting its long awaited Platform 2 and Toddington diesel and steam Loco sheds have been or are being concrete-floored. Meanwhile work on Broadway Station continues apace and 2014 definitely looks to be a great year for the Station’s continued rebuild, with construction of the signal box having started in December 2013.

The Great Central Railway’s station masterpiece at Loughborough has won a well-deserved award and transformed the appearance of this priceless icon of the age of railways. There are several other examples that come to mind in this area and, whilst on the subject of the GCR and extensions, the superb achievement by the Mountsorrel Railway branch has been another highlight for 2013.

Some newer lines have also established themselves and/or grown further during 2013, including the Aln Valley Railway and the Helston Railway. Both of these have worked hard to foster local involvement and to become social centres rather than just another train ride (after all, not everyone likes noisy smelly trains) and this may be the key to future success, particularly for the smaller, newer lines. The Mountsorrel Railway is another example of local, social engagement; this time as part of an already established heritage railway. Meanwhile, the delightful reborn Lynton and Barnstaple Railway continues to build and add new trackbed when it can.

Some of the well-established lines, such as the Severn Valley, the NYMR and the West Somerset Rly have also had to invest heavily in repairing infrastructure, improving facilities and dealing with increasing costs but, thankfully it seems, attracting increasing patronage, although, from what I have read on this forum, the SVR has not had the best of years in some respects and I do hope they have a better year in 2014.

Regarding locomotive projects, 2013 has definitely been a year for the “New Builds” including, of course, good progress on the “Baby Deltic” diesel project. The star of the show for 2013 has got to be (for me) the LMS-Patriot Project No 45551; where realism, determination, good planning and a loyal support base has already resulted in a tangible locomotive, easily good enough to display to the masses at the NEC in November. Other new-builds continue to make good progress (other views on this subject are available!) and I believe that 2014 will see the new-build “market” mature to some extent as serious projects settle and possibly spurious ones disappear.

The Great Gathering of the 6 A4 Pacifics doesn’t really need any words from me, except an admission of humble pie from a person who thought no-one would be interested in 6 old steam locomotives. How wonderful sometimes to be proved wrong!

2013 has not been a great year for all heritage lines or projects of course; some “new builds” such as the Swindon & Cricklade-based 2-6-0 “Galloping Gertie” (a project launched in January 2009 of which nothing further appears to have happened) and the new Dean Goods/L1/J39 seem to have vanished out of the internet as fast as they appeared. (This doesn’t mean that they have vanished in reality of course but lack of news in this 24/7 internet world does give that impression) Some new line proposals, including the Sharpness Branch – Beaver Valley Railway, the proposed Luton-Dunstable line and the Meon Valley line also seem to have faded during 2013. The Sharpness Branch I believe still has some of its track in situ and serviceable so, in theory, it has perhaps a better chance of joining the ranks of the new “social amenity” railways than perhaps others have or had; I don’t know and would be interested in others' views.

Another major disappointment for 2013 has been that Gresley Pacific 4472/60103 but that has been picked over so much that all I can say is that I trust 2014 will be a better year for this icon of steam.

So, what of the future? Well, it is always tricky to predict but I would like to think that there is further progress and consolidation in the Heritage Railway sector in 2014. On the Glos-Warks Railway the focus will be getting to Broadway, with work set to start on bridge repairs in the Spring (some preliminary work has already happened in 2013) and work on rebuilding Broadway Station taking a new turn with platforms completed and hopefully other station buildings taking shape. On the “new-build” front, we may see 2999 in steam and the NER 0-4-4T could well be close to completion next year. 45551 will continue to look more and more like a “Patriot” whilst the 47xx and the “Clan” will really start to come together. I think “Betton Grange” will see great progress too, especially now that is almost at the running chassis stage. Then there is the P2 “Prince of Wales” where much interest on this new-build will be generated next year as the project is officially launched, so to speak. Another locomotive that will look much more recognisable this time next year will be 82045; another example of a project being run by a well-organised, well funded and business-like group. The rumour mill will continue to rumble in 2014 on with new build ideas but the reality is out there, so I hope that anyone thinking of another new-build steam locomotive project asks those groups who are getting on with it now how it’s done, or, better still, join one of them!

Hopefully the Nene Valley Railway will purchase the old Wansford Station building at last and start the process of bringing this architectural gem back to life again. This should mark a turning point for this line as Wansford has, in my view anyway, always seemed “not quite right” without this wonderful (but expensive to restore) stone building in use as a station building again.

There will be challenges ahead and, as some people have rightly pointed out, cheap rolling stock, permanent way and masses of volunteers aren’t just out there for the taking anymore. The heritage railway is a product which can sell itself well and it’s going to have to do so even more. Finally, I wonder if any heritage lines will move a stage further into becoming more like they once were, a means of transport rather than a means of recreation - a reunited GCR may be the 1st to offer a commuter service albeit from Nottingham (South) to Leicester (North) or, in the words of a certain “Strictly” judge, going down that route could just be a “disaster darling!”

I’m sure there are loads of views on this and mine are of little importance. Apologies if I’ve missed any better examples of winners, survivors and losers. It’s based rather more on opinion but with some (limited) knowledge of the facts too. What do you think?

Finally, can I wish all of you (including Nat Pres of course!) a Happy New Year and offer my thanks to all those who donate the money, lay the track, restore the rolling stock, dig the culverts, scrape off the rust, provide the refreshment and keep the loos clean on our amazing heritage railways. I do hope that some of you are recognised in the New Year Honours List as Britain would be a really boring place without you!