If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heritage stock to be allowed on the main line on a 'case by case' basis

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by JMJR1000, Aug 20, 2011.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I was reading the latest issue of Steam Railway, and came across something very interresting...

NEW RULES PAVE WAY FOR MAIN LINE VINTAGE STOCK

Apparently, because the Office of Rail Regulation have recently decided drop to the necessity for barrier vehicles for MK. 1 stock, this has in turn paved the way heritage stock to be allowed to run an the main line on a 'case by case' basis. That dosen't just include metal bodied carriages, but timber ones too.

This means that we could have a rake Gresley teak carriages speeding on the main line, or perhaps you'd prefer a rake of LMS carriages behind a Duchess or a Princess, thundering up the Settle-Carlisle line...

Don't get me wrong, it won't be cheap, even they state that in the magazine... But lets face it, one of the biggest aims of the preservation movement, is to recreate the past. But so far, on the main line at least, we have only been able to recreate the 50s and 60s, because we've only been able to use MK. 1s. But now... The potential of what era we could recreate... I leave it to you to think of what could be achieved...

2. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

With the WSR busy trying to restore genuine rakes of GWR Carriages, its possible to see the potential something like this has. Unfortunately with all the carriage sidings now removed in many stations, and the need to keep historic rolling stock under cover (which in itself is going to require empty movements of stock) I cant see it happening very often.

It has to be said is always seemed a bit daft to me they have stopped it before, yet happily allowing Pullman stock of the Orient Express to run on the national network!

When they say 'case by case' basis, does this mean they are going to have a fitness inspection every time they want to use them?

3. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I'm not entirely sure... The article doesn't really give any details of what would be required, I suspect it would be along the lines that you suggested, but I can't say for certain.

I do agree with you though. I can't see it happening often myself, but saying that, I can imagine ocasional services on the NYMR to Whitby with their teaks. Something like that could certainly be achieveable. The same goes for any other heritage railway: to run ocasional short excursions on the national network, with their heritage stock.

I believe the North Norfolk Railway have been considering running occasional services to Cromer. Imagine if they did that with the soon to return apple green B12, and their Quad-Art set! Now theres a picture...!

4. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where a preserved line has an interface with NR which doesn't involve potential conflict with 125mph trains I'd say there was a good case for limited licensing of wooden bodied stock, let's think, lots of Scottish routes, SVR, MHR, assorted East Anglian routes, the list could be extensive. What a mouth-watering thought!

Foxy

5. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think the obstacle now will be as much financial. Coaches will still have to have certificated door locks, UAT wheelsets and so on (and secondary door locking above 25mph, I think). I'm sure that the NYMR will get its teak coaches approved for working to Whitby & Battersby because I think eventually all its coaching stock will be registered - it makes life easier than having some registered and some not - but then they'll be using them on a regular basis. I think the SVR, for example, may find it harder to justify registering its GW set for occasional use now that its locos no longer run on the main line; the GWS on the other hand might be more interested.

1 person likes this.
  6. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Im thinking the few available observation Cars might be worth the neccessary upgrade as they could command a premium....

Is there a thread on here with any updates on the Beavertail at Barrow Hill... ?

7. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    There's already two pages on this very subject in general railway chat perhaps a mod would merge?

8. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I think it's more appropriate for this subject to be in Heritage Railway Stock than in General Railway Chat.

9. 60017

I didn't suggest otherwise, but two threads is pointless.

10. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I totally agree with you, and I meant no offense, I didn't know what you meant by 'merge'. I presume it means combining them, is that correct?

I'm no good at understanding technical matters...

11. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Other than the NYMR using rakes on the Whitby run, I can only see this being ones or twos being added into rakes for a premium ticket. Otherwise its not going to cover costs given that most general public punters don't really care what they travel in. For example with 6023 going mainline, it might be attractive when the Ocean Saloon "Prince of Wales" finishes its current overhaul if that were offered on a trip - I can see something like that being the absolute pinnacle of non Pullman travel for a GWR enthusiast and commanding enough of a premium price to make it worthwhile.

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Dont forget, the Pullman stock was heavily modified with buckeyes and corridor connections - they also concentrated on steel framed examples which are built like tanks. Its perhaps more surprising that the Queen of Scots stock has remained in service.

Chris

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Seeing a couple of first generation DMUs on the mainline would be pleasing to me !

14. 60017

Yep, either one can be the 'lead.'

15. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Could be useful in certain circumstances too. Who knows, the NNR could get permission for its DMU set for Sheringham-Cromer services? I know steam will always be the primary attraction, but a DMU which is only two coaches and doesn't need to run round may be a more realistic proposition for initial services. Then steam/loco hauled could follow later.

This kind of running may be a great way to see developments such as these pushed forward a few years earlier than would previously have been possible.

I would suggest "case by case" may mean an assessment of the collision risks etc leading to wooden coaches being allowed on sleepy lines such as Whitby or Sudbury but maybe not thundering down the S&C! But we'll see :)

16. ilockyer

ilockyer New Member

I guess, dependent on pathing options, the WSR could get its DMU registered and run into Platform 1 at Taunton via the relief line, assuming there were paths for the ladder crossing at Norton Fitzwarren.

17. Woodster21

Woodster21 Member

DMU through from Derby to Rowsley South - now there's a thought

18. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

There is actually nothing preventing this from happening with the current rules. The MK1 ban does not include heritage DMUS, as they are not classified as MK1s.

A bit of a technicality really, but this is how a couple of TOCs have got away with running heritage bubble cars.

It's always the reason that three class 117s have been purchased for the proposed Swanage to Wareham services, which will need to run on the main line for a mile into Wareham.

19. Muppet

Muppet Member

Who knows - maybe even NER Petrol Electric to Skipton one day...

20. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Why stop at Cromer? Why not run say a 2 or 3 car 101 all the way through to norwich, during the summer, with through tickets from norwich to Holt?