If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hornby Schools

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by richard_3672, Nov 5, 2008.

1. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    After much anticipation from me for the latest models, I've seen pictures of what to expect in the latest HORNBY magazine (with the B1 on the cover).

They look great. Over the page is also the new Standard 4, which looks promising also.

2. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

They do indeed look great and i hope they make it to the shops before Christmas.

3. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They look absolutly fantastic.

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Definitely on my list of future purchases. Just a question of which school I want represented on my layout! Now, if only I could have a late crested T9 for my 1960-1961 layout...

5. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    I have a tender driven 30935 and 926.. Both used to run okay.. Then started cocking up, then ran okay.. Then the layout got dismantled, now collecting dust.. Controversial buy one and renumber.. Hmm..

6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The only thing is whether to buy one of the first four, or wait until production becomes standardised so that the quality is more consistent. I have noticed that sometimes the finish on a second/third generation new model can be a bit ropey, though. The front bogie on my 34036 had to be removed a couple of times as it kept derailing. Works fine now, though.

7. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    Hi Chaps

The new School's and T9's will both be on sale at Warley Exhibition this weekend and on general sale by the end of next week which means they should be at all the Toy Fairs before Crimbo.

8. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

They should look great with the new Maunsell carriages and Van C which have also been released recently

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Slightly off-topic and I think I've mentioned this before on another thread, but it would be good if Hornby release a Maunsell composite brake that has been converted for push-pull service. Whilst this may be an easy conversion to make with a bit of patience and plasticard for someone like myself who has been model-making since the age of five, I still wouldn't trust myself converting a £24 carriage due to the surgery involved. As such, I hope that Hornby will do this at some point in the future, as they do have a GWR auto-coach in their range... :-k

10. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Would be an especially good idea given they have an M7 and a Terrier in the range, both of which were used on such services over the years.

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    As I'm expecting a Hornby Terrier for Christmas, and I already have an M7, I couldn't agree more.

12. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    Hi All

Nobody taken delivery of this lovely model yet?

I have two now and they are fantastic. Loads of power and the cab interior is something very special and probably the best yet in RTR models.

Comparing the loco' side by side with the old Hornby Schools, there are many improvements but it also reminded me what a very good model the old one was for its day. I won't be flogging the old ones but will be running them alongside the new.

Well done Hornby....another winner.

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Unfortunately, cash flow precludes me from getting one at the moment. Too many railway galas, not enough cash as they say in no particular area! Its still on the list, but I may wait for 30901 Winchester to be released. I'm also interested in the 'Clan'.

14. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    Not enough moolah and as it currently stands I have no model railway, even though promises were made. Bad times!

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    I saw the two new Schools models in the Bluebell shop on Tuesday and they looked brilliant. Definately have to get the lined Black Blundells and Brunswick green Brighton engines. Can't wait now for the Blood & Custard Maunsell carriages to come out now, Blundells paired with thoses carriages will look superb as will the lined black T9. If only Hornby could bring out a lined black Adams Radial Tank and H class. [-o< [-o<