If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

How to start a preservation society?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by eldomtom2, Mar 28, 2022.

1. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This is a serious question. Previous attempts to repatriate local railway-related artefacts have fizzled out and produced nothing more than a couple of news articles, so I believe that the formation of a society or similar group is necessary to provide sufficient determination to achieve such goals.

Short-term goals would be to achieve the loan of several artefacts presently in storage in the NRM to local museums.

Long-term goals would be the repatriation of a locomotive from South Africa. Obviously this is a job best handled with those with experience, and so the society's role would likely be restricted to making contact with said experts and fundraising if necessary.

The problem is that I have no idea how to start a group to achieve these goals. While the short-term goals could probably be achieved by a small online group, I have no idea even how to start something like that. I am hoping someone here has experience in these matters and can provide some advice. Obviously I intend to take things solely and think over any advice before taking action.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    why do you want to repatriate a loco from south africa ?
    What will you do with said locomotive ?
    How will said engine be maintained long term ?
    Why would people want to support said repatriation ?
    have you already got a group of likeminded friends to support you in this quest ?
    How much of your own resources (money and time) can you afford to put in ?

The museums are far better placed to request loans of artifacts and will be able to follow an appropriate process as an accredited museum

I'm presuming this is Jersey related going from your location

Most groups start with an idea and a common vision , a nucleous quickly forms around which a society is created

35B likes this.
  3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Well you can always set up a Facebook group …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluenosejohn and ghost like this.
  4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Please don’t give them ideas !!

Sheff, ghost, 35B and 1 other person like this.
  5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

There is already a group dedicated to this aim; The North British Locomotive Preservation Group. They have repatriated one loco, assisted with another and own several still in South Africa.
    You might want to consider supporting them rather than creating another group?

paullad1984 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  6. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

I would think that the "South African" loco in question, given the "local" context mentioned in the original post, is the former Jersey Railway Andrew Barclay 2-4-0T "La Moye" rather than a North British product......(or any other randon South African loco)

Martin Perry and 35B like this.
  7. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Are you aware of The Pallot Steam, Motor & General Museum (http://pallotmuseum.co.uk/)? Suggest an established museum has a better chance of succes than a completely new (rival?) group.

William Fletcher likes this.
  8. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Things you're going to need:
    * money
    * people who can do stuff on site
    * more money
    * skilled people who do stuff on site
    * lots more money

This needs to come from the people doing the work, not just an online group of "members" who just tell you what colour to paint it. It also needs to be sustainable after the initial excitement had died down.

Start small and get people doing things. See what resources and skills you have and develop your activities to suit.

And finally, know when to call it a day and how to bow out gracefully without leaving a pile of scrap for someone else to sort out.

Sheff likes this.
  9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Money is the key to everything, I'm afraid. If you can't carry others along with you to raise some seed funds then you will have to be prepared to fund the project yourself. You might not have to, but if you are unwilling or unable to do so, how can you expect others to finance your dream? Provided your project is a good one you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding likeminded collaborators, and success breeds success.

Bluenosejohn and Sheff like this.
  10. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

The suggestion here is that I have tried and failed to attract attention and funding. Rather, my question is where would one begin to find like-minded individuals.

Re: money, plans - I am well aware that any such project will require money, expertise, and planning. However it seems to me that it makes more sense to start by trying to find potential supporters rather than drawing up elaborate schemes that turn out to lack the support needed.

Re: museums - I am of course well aware of the Pallot Museum, but - without wishing to imply that they have not been a great force for preserving Jersey's transport heritage - they have not so far shown any indication that they are working towards repatrition of any railway artefacts. Either they are uninterested, they have looked into it but found it impossible for whatever reason, or (highly unlikely) they are making progress in complete secrecy. It must be remembered that the Pallot Museum is a small private organisation, and railways are only one part of their purview. If entryism is being suggested, that does not really seem possible.

11. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I don't think 61624 was suggesting that you had tried and failed and I don't think he was being critical of you at all. Rather, I think he was setting out the questions that you should be asking yourself before you attempt to set up a group/project.
    If 'La Moye' is indeed the object of your project, then do you even know that it is available for purchase?
    Regarding finding others to join your group, you could publicise on here and other fora, advertise in local papers, local shops, pubs etc and in the railway press. Then maybe call a meeting in the local community hall and see who turns up.

longdogs likes this.
  12. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    I think I can help here by providing a contact of somebody who has an excellent track record in setting up groups that move and shake in railway preservation. You need to contact a Mr Stuart Reeder. He used to contribute to this forum and had made many friends in the preservation world. He has saved many locomotives and carriages and single handedly brought them back to operational comdition from being a wreck. He has setup charities, organised fundraising and managed labour. The man is a powerhouse although he has had some assistance when it comes to infrastructure by The Bramlyman

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    weltrol and Sheff like this.