If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hunslet "King George"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LTSR, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LTSR

LTSR New Member

Retired engineer and former steam driver
    Anybody know why the Hunslet saddletank "King George" has moved from Toddington to Didcot?

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've heard a nasty rumour that it is going to be converted to a Thomas. Why couldn't they have used a pannier instead? Less of a rarety than Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST's

3. LTSR

LTSR New Member

Retired engineer and former steam driver
    That's a shame, if it proves to be true. It's one thing to paint a Jinty as Thomas, it can always be reverted to its proper livery, but it's nothing short of vandalism to convert an engine to something it never was.

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

'Jessie', the 18" Hunslet at Llangollen survived a conversion when 47298 was out of action for overhaul. Nothing is irreversable (within reason :) )

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It is the Glos Warks itself that owns the loco or someone else ?, if its the former perhaps the sums with their financial position made it something they could not refuse.

Personally i'd rather some of the anonimous and out of service 0-6-0 Industrial side tanks were used as Thomas clones than converting Saddle Tanks or B*****dising Jinties.

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It is owned by GWR PLC (the only loco they do actually own).

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Given the costs of bringing in a Thomas to Didcot , the economics of having one of their own may stack up

8. Andy B

Andy B Member

Correction - was owned by the PLC. All rumours are true. Sold to GWS DIdcot for supposed conversion to Thomas. As mentioned above saddle tanks etc can be stored for un-rebuilding in the future. The chassis went last week with the boiler leaving for another location shortly. With the slip appeal funds at a critical stage, the didcot offer was too good to refuse. Although the bottom end had been been more or less finished there was some boiler work needed and without financial input from the PLC there were a dwindling number of volunteers working on KG. With the working fleet at winchcombe it has been difficult to organise work over two sites. The sooner we get back to toddington the better.

9. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Real shame they're doing this to King George, a 15" hunslet would be a bloody useful loco for some smaller lines. Didcot could have kept the Stephensons Pannier in blue and used that! :dance:

10. dave885

dave885 New Member

Well i better put my hand up and say its all my fault. It is a loverly loco but will not be 'butchered' in anyway what so ever. The loco will be made to look like 'Thomas' comprising of new fabricated side tanks and also bottom lower corner front cab sections in order to keep and store the old, so at any time in the future the loco could be turned back to original saddle tank condition like 'Jessie'.

Currently it costs Didcot Railway a rough £25k a year to hire in a 'Thomas' due to movement fees accross the mainline plus the usuall fees incurred. This also doesnt include having to do axle tests.
    We had real trouble this year trying to get a loco and on 2 instances almost had to cancel our 'Thomas' events which is a good proportion of our income like many other railways. (we were helped out by a society close by in the end but the only other choice 'Thomas' was in Scotland doubling our haulage fees)

The £25k that we save by having our own loco (and also added income if any other society wishes to hire it) will go towards helping restore all the other loco's that we currently have sat in our shed.

As for using a pannier i'm sure Brian Thompson and the other 3650 team wouldnt have been to happy with turning there loco into 'Thomas'

so i have given my confession and i shall say my 10 'hale marys' and hope you can all forgive me and see what benefit it will be for us at Didcot.

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

the issue is why is it ok to change a 15" hunslet to make a thomas but not ok to convert a pannier (especially since it is only temporary)

I appreciate the logic behind it's transformation and it was on the market

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Who said it is only a temporary measure? All that was said is that the parts that are being replaced are being retained so it could be returned to original condiiton -there's no suggestion that it will be. It's a shame that this particular engine was chosen when. I'd rather have seen another Austerity converted as there are a lot more of them around.

13. Andy B

Andy B Member

IMAG1031.jpg View attachment 3780 View attachment 3780 The Didcot offer was the most attractive to the PLC and unfortunatley this will mean the loco assuming Thomas guise for a period. I see that the thomas brand has changed hands again (SR) and with some railways seeing dwindling returns, how long will it go on?. That said Didcot do have a very usefull income from Thomas and very welcome it is too. If things change in future the railoway can always unrebuild and sell on the loco, which with an in-current ticket is quite a desirable tool.

On another vein, here is a picture from yesterdays footplate turn on 7903 of the new Gotherington passing loop in use. Much waving from all as the two santa trains pass.

14. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent shot there Andy B; 2 great locomotives! I remember "King George" arriving at Toddington in 1980 or 1981 and will always associate it with the GWSR. However, time moves on and at least it won't be irreversably converted into a LBSC 0-6-0T lookalike. I know only a few of these Billinton locomotives were built but their "Thomas Prototype" looks make them ideal new builds in my view!

15. dave885

dave885 New Member

I contacted around 20 railways asking for any locomotive they wouldn't mind parting with for didcot to purchase and not one wanted to part with there locomotives. Around 50 locos were inquired about ranging from scrap condition to running locos, even a polish tkh.
    Locos that were in scrap condition that most railways wouldn't have the funds to do anything with for at least 20 years, i was still told "sorry these loco's are still not for sale"

Who knows in 10 years time if we could get more for the loco being hired out as 'King George' it might be an idea. but currently it is more viable for us to "tart it up" to look like a 'thomas'. Nothing that is going to be done to the loco will stop it being reversed back later on in life if desired.

16. Warspite

Warspite New Member

So does this mean that the removed parts will be looked after ? Or dumped out of sight out of mind , to rust into oblivion .

17. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think this is a sensible move by the PLC they need the money to cover cost of engineering works to various landslips and i doubt they were ever going to restore the loco.
    So now they have money in the bank extra space bit like a old car you eventually have to say goodbye when you no longer need it.

18. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Had the engine not been sold what would have been the outcome? the GWR would not be able to fund its overhaul ,so it would have stayed in limbo, plus what real use would it have been to the railway given once the landslip is repaired and they run further on the extension it might well have not been suitable for future needs , so by selling the engine to didcot, they not only obtain extra badly needed funds, but at a later date, ,could find a friendship with didcot to their advantage as they have some larger engines that would benifit from using the GWR as running in prior to mainline use should didcot decide to allow engines away from didcot on loan

19. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    have you an idea of the selling price??
    regards
    noel

20. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Agree - they need cash now and it wasn't much use there anyway - for the length of the line, proper locos are needed.