If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

If Steam Centres & Railways Combined

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by JMJR1000, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Josh here with a another thread of fantasy, this time revolving around steam centres.

The idea came to me when I was looking at the stock list of carriages on the Didcot Railway Centre (DRC) website. The DRC has a great collection of locomotives and carriages, but me being me, I can't help but think "pity they don't have much of a line to run on..." The centre is somewhat limited when it comes to it's operations. So I thought, what if you could move the whole centre to say, a heritage railway.

My leap of fantasy would be to have the DRC completely moved adjacent to the GWSR. The railway would have an impressive collection of GWR locomotives and (perhaps more crucially) carriages to it's disposal, and the centre would in turn have an impressive length of line for which their collection can run on.

As I said, complete fantasy, but what do you think? Is there a steam centre, or collection even, out there that you would love to be adjacent to a particular heritage railway? Go for it! Let your pipe dreams run wild!

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have said it before but the GWS missed (in my opinion) a great opportunity years ago when they had a presence at Bodmin General station. If they had hung on and taken over the branch(es) they could have had a complete railway, supplied with stock from Didcot, and (possibly) making money to finance further restorations. They would have had a better chance of retaining the railway into Wadebridge and possibly even going back to Padstow.

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Whilst I appreciate the benefits of the concept, the closure of Didcot, the best preserved steam depot and the only one you can easily visit would be too great a loss. What has occurred to me however is that the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway is just down the line - closer relations between the two, perhaps with a combined ticket that includes the fare from Didcot to Cholsey, could allow better use of some of the GWS's assets. Whilst the extremely busy nature of the line might preclude this, steam runs between Cholsey and Didcot could be an option too if a connection could be built. Obviously I am talking an EXPENSIVE pipe dream but it's a nice idea - fast run behind a Castle or Hall to Cholsey then an autocoach up to Wallingford?

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

well there are a few locations that come straight to mind, for me it would be to contact the guys who wanted to re buy dinting last year as they seemed to have a large amount of money and as them to buy leekbrook junction (ie buy a share or long term lease it from MCR) and build a steam centre there, that could be a mainline steam centre in time as its only 25 miles or so to crewe from there. but again its all down to expense, politics, etc etc

5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am sure that, not too long after the GWS became established at Didcot, it did indeed run the 14xx and autocoach up and down the Wallingford Branch on more than 1 occasion. It was a long time ago, well before the Cholsey & Wallingford Rly came into being. I think it failed for a number of reasons, not least that it might have been ahead of its time.

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

How about Carnforth as a works for the Lakeside Branch ... er, hang on .... :)

7. Bar Side

Bar Side New Member

How about Bressingham & the Mid Norfolk? Get the terrier & King Haakon running on a decent length of line. I did mention on the North Norfolk thread that is is a shame that there are so many nice bits of kit that are hidden in the carriage shed or the engine shed that I would quite happily pay museum prices to see. How about the Melton Constable works set up as a heritage steam centre once the NNR gets past Holt? As you said, fantasy scenarios, no criticism of existing organisations intended.

8. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

That comment brings back memories - 1968 I believe - not much on topic but a bit of nostalgia. (Ok, they're not great photos - taken on a box brownie and I was only 12)
    kscan_0001_1.jpg kscan_0003.jpg
    Steve B

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I recently went to Marlow, and they were still reminiscing a steam trip in the 1970's by 6998 from Maidenhead to Bourne End, and 1466 with an Autotrain to Marlow.

On a side note, I can't help thinking, how the Branch from Southall to Brentford would be good for a preserved line.. and the Southall shed / sidings as a very good place for a museum and of course that holy grail... a steam centre / steam railway in London.

10. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    The SRPS' collection at Bo'ness running on the Strathspey Railway.

11. guard_jamie

Signalman
    The idea that this thread hinges on is steam centres that don't have a running line. Bo'ness and Kinneil has a good few miles.

12. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Sorry? Where have I said that?

13. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

One realistic possibility, would be the idea of railway centres loaning out parts of their collection to heritage railways. Several centres are already doing this, but I mean the sort of loan like the NRM would do, a long term agreement. Now I know people at Didcot might not like that, but there are benefits, such as:

• Several railways would be willing to pay for most if not all the work required to overhaul an engine to working order, on the condition that it's based on their line for most of it's boiler ticket.

• If the people at Didcot are not pleased with that, then an agreement can be made, where the engine ocasionally revisits the centre during each year.

• This in turn means the centre can concentrate on overhauling other engines, which in turn means they'll have more of their collection operational then before, and will be able to gather and display more of their own collection in steam then ever before.

• A similar arrangement could be made with the carriages.

• This would particularly be a good case for the collection's larger locos, such as King Edward II, Pendennis Castle, Lady of Legend, County of Glamorgan, and of course the future didcot heavy weights 7202 and 4709.

Personally I would like a partnership (or at least collaborations) between GWSR and Tyseley Locomotive Works, given their close proximity and the potential of them having a direct physical link between one another. Birmingham Moor Street to Cheltenham Racecourse, now there's a journey...

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'd like to see the inverse and several more 45xxs and 2-8-0's gathering at didcot

An LMS equivalent of Didcot would be fantastic, tbh the ELR would be an ideal place for this.

15. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Sorry, my memory was mistaken (I have checked the thread I was thinking of, regarding 828 possibly visiting there) and I apologise unreservedly. I have edited my post.

16. guard_jamie

Signalman
    An excellent idea.

17. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    There was a front-cover reference to a plan on this on the SR a while ago. It all swings on how much longer the aggregate and waste site is in use. While it is you can't run services on it. It would be good to have it in use but the last mile to Brentfod needs rebuilding across the A4 and an industrial estate. It's almost where the railmotor belongs, there was a pic on fotopic of the railmotor at Trumpers Crossing Halte and the GWRS's design is based on Southall's shed.

18. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

The "holy grail" you mention is already in progress and heading towards being realised in the coming months, that is steam being returned to Epping Ongar Railway. The line was built by the Great Eastern in 1865, operated by LNER and BR and latterly electrified as the end of the LU Central line.
    Further details on how you can be part of our friendly steam and diesel heritage railway is on www.eorailway.co.uk and www.eorailway.co.uk/howyoucanhelp

Regards, Simon

19. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    I did suggest relocating Didcot to Norten Fitzwarren sometime last year. Reason being mainline connection for 6023, 4079, 1014 etc to go out on railtours, a 22mile branchline for the Panniers and Prairies to go and have a play and then the former trackbed to Barnstaple could be looked at being re-opened as a Broad Gauge line for Fire Fly. However this didn't seem popular among some...

20. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Moving Didcot, it being the best preserved steam depot in existence - and the most accessible, should only occur if there really is no other option for its survival.