If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Trains Gala 30th June + 1st July, Hayling Seaside Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 4073, May 2, 2012.

1. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Hayling Seaside Railway has announced its' Industrial Trains Gala on the 30th June and 1st July! The railways Ruston's 'Alistiar' and 'Edwin' will be out in force, supported by Alan Keef built 'Jack' and Simplex 'Alan B. 'Alan B' will only be making an appearance on the goods trains only. Two trains will be running, the passenger trains will be running every 45 minutes with the first train from Beachlands at 11am and the goods trains running 20 minutes behind. With both trains passing at Mengham Road.

We are also hoping for a visiting diesel loco, which is yet to be confirmed.

The railway runs for a mile along the Hayling seafront with fantastic views over the Solent and the Isle of White. The line is unfenced and it is possible to watch and photograph trains for an 1/2 mile! So why not come and see what this railway has to offer!

The press release is below.

Hayling Railway’s summer industrial trains gala.

On the 30th of June and the 1st of July, The 2 foot gauge Hayling seaside railway will once again be hosting its industrial trains event featuring The Railway’s 4 resident diesel locos which will all be service, subject to availability, and will all be involved in a series of freight, mixed, and double headed trains along the 1 mile line.

The gala fleet consists of ; ‘Tyrone’ Class 0-4-0 steam outline diesel hydraulic No: 3 “Jack”, built in 1988 by Alan Keef Engineering of Ross-on-Wye; Ex Ffestiniog and Gartell Light railway diesel mechanical locomotive No: 4 “Alistair”, built in 1940 by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln which helped build the Llyn Ystradau deviation on the world famous Ffestiniog Railway in Wales; Ex South Western Tunnelling & Mining Company ‘LBT’ class diesel mechanical No: 5 “Edwin”, built in 1967, also by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln; and Former Ibstock Brick Company ex Wormley mechanical No: 1 “Alan B” ,originally constructed by Motor-Rail/Simplex of Bedford in 1937. This locomotive is currently being rebuilt as a Deutz-engined diesel hydraulic passenger locomotive. Negotiations are also under way for a visiting diesel locomotive.

Shunting demonstrations will take place at the Beachlands depot and the western end of the line, and the main workshops will be open for public view. We hope to show components of the Hayling Railway’s new steam loco. The steam loco is currently under construction t0 a design similar to the “sweet pea”. Also please feel free to visit the railway’s gift shop located on platform 2 at Beachlands, which stocks a variety of gifts as well as enthusiast items such, as magazines, books, DVDs and more.

Return tickets are £3.50 adult, £2.00 children/concessions, or a £7 for a family ticket (2 adults + 2 children )

This is one of the railway’s biggest weekends of the year so please pop down for a visit and see what is happening at this often overlooked line, you will be made very welcome by our volunteers. We are always looking for and would warmly welcome new volunteers on our line, if you are interested in volunteering or would like more information on the gala please visit Hayling Seaside Railway

[​IMG]

2. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Tomorrow is the start of the Hayling Seaside Railways Summer Industrial Goods Gala, where all 4 of our locos will be out on passenger and goods trains! And news from our workshop, 'Alan B' has passed its passenger trials and will take its first passenger on Saturday tomorrow!!! Ruston 'No.5 Edwin', Simplex 'No.1 Alan B' Alan Keef 'No.3 Jack' will take the main passenger trains, with Ruston 'No.4 Alistair' joining in with the other 3 on the goods.

'Alan B' was use on the construction of the Hayling Seaside Railway 10 years ago and has under gone a long term rebuild, which has seen it striped back to the frames and a replacement engine with hydraulic drive fitted. A new body and cab has also been fitted to go around the engine and for a second person to have a seat in the cab. This is the first weekend that 'Alan B' has taken passenger trains and will take up its role as a second main loco, with the Ruston as spare locos.

The first passenger train is at 11:00am from Beachlands and 11:20am from Eastoke Corner, with following trains every 45 minutes. The goods trains will start running at 10:35am, running in between the passenger trains, passing at Mengham Road. Locos awaiting their next turn will be on display at Beachlands Station. With normal fares applying, why not come and see the Hayling Seaside Railway at its busiest!

For full details on how to find us, fares and the passenger train times on the 45 minute timetable, check out website at www.haylingseasiderailway.com

[​IMG]

3. Buddrail

Buddrail New Member

I visited the gala yesterday and had a great time! There was plenty of activity on the railway, with lots of movements and shunting to see and photograph. Every member of staff that I met was very friendly, and took the time to chat and show me around, which I appreciated. And with the warm sunshine, and the railway's location next to the coast, it was absolutely idyllic! Thanks to everyone who put on the show and made me so welcome; I'll be back! Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area (or even, as in my case, if you're not - I had a 330 mile round trip from South Wales to get there! Well worth the journey!).