If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Information on Triang (R153) Saddle Tank

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Western Dreamer, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

I was wondering if any Triang experts out there could post some info on the origins this early Triang model, which was released in both clockwork and electric versions in the late 50s and early 60s. I believe it's a freelance model but loosely based on a Southern (pre-Southern, more likely) design. Can anybody (a) tell me which one and (b) direct me to a photo of it? Many thanks in advance.

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    amazing what you find on Ebay :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIANG-R153-2F-Sa ... otohosting

L and Y or Caledonian Rly influenced perhaps ?

Also here:

http://www.railwaypictures.co.uk/img2885.search.htm

3. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I still have one of the green clockwork versions, now with an electric chassis, much used and battered but much loved. It was my first "proper" model engine, so it was the start of a long trail. As you have probably realised, the boiler centre line was raised to accomodate the spring, which was quite large. I seem to remember the engine was quite a powerful performer. Now I come to think of it, the southern did have something which might have been the inspiration, I'll have to do some research.

Tim

4. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

Thanks for your answers thus far. The photos are great pics of the model but (sorry if it wasn't clear) it was a picture of the real loco that was the inspiration for the model that I'm looking for. I also had a green clockwork one, which I believe was my first model, though I wasn't old enough at that time to remember it now in anything other than it's current dismembered form.

5. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I think I've got it.

It isn't the type I was first thinking of, but see if you can dig up a picture of Southern No. 1685, scrapped 1951. There was only one in this class, a C class 0-6-0 rebuilt with a saddle tank. Points of reference: High slab sided tank, separate handrail continues on the cab side, Narrow cab opening filled with a door, very similar bunker proportions and the same reverse curve at the rear. Tank filler, dome and safety valves very similar, same chimney proportions and a high boiler centre line. Shame the number does not match.

The engine is on P.240 of "Steam Locomotives of British railways" by HC Casserley, which I probably shouldn't scan for copyright reasons.

Tim

6. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

Thanks Sleepermonster - much appreciated! I'll hunt around on the net and see if i can find a pic. What an obscure loco for Triang to base a model on - perhaps the model designer had a personal connection with/recollection of the loco. Maybe it's a case of a one-off prototype being chosen to provide a link with reality but more 'freedom' - rather like the later Hornby GWR '101' model.

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Or it really being a freelance saddle tank, with the saddle tank configuration chosen to accommodate the spring for the clockwork version - according to Pat Hammond's history of Triang Railways.

8. papagolfjuliet

papagolfjuliet Member

Pat Hammond does however identify it as being based upon an SECR design in the more recent editions of Ramsey's Catalogue.

9. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The dividing line between "based on" and freelance is perhaps a bit blurred, but I find the detail resemlances quite striking despite the height distortion. It would be nice to think this model does have a historical pedigree somewhere.

tim

10. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Very true - confirmed by Robert Forsythe today. Apologies, not seen Ramsey's!

11. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

Thanks everyone for the input and information.

12. chopshopjohn

chopshopjohn New Member

Retired
    Sorry to be so late in adding to this thread but I have only just found a picture of 1685.
    Whilst I would agree that 1685 is the BR loco that it most closely resembles I always thought the distinctive tank profile came from it being based on a large Manning Wardle industrial something like 'Littleton No 5'.