If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

IOW No 8

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by howardw-s, Dec 13, 2006.

1. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

Some time around 1964 a crowd of friends and I arrived in the station yard of Wickham on the closed Meon valley line. There were eight of us in a Triumph Renown as I recall. The line from Wickham to Droxford was then being used by an outfit called Saddler Vectrail (I think) to test a rail car that they had built - behind Droxford station was the steepest railway incline I've ever seen, apparently used to prove the rail car's adhesion and hill climbing abilities.

Anyway, in the yard was a black 'Terrier' in steam with nobody about! Eventually a gentleman with a newspaper under his arm and dressed in an 'Officers Warm' overcoat, bowler hat, leather gloves and highly polished brogues turned up. He climbed aboard, put her into full forward gear, let the brake off, opened the regulator and drove off! I found later that this was Major Saddler and it was his habit to have his staff raise steam on the loco, which was used as the 'works shunter', and then drive to Wickham for the paper and anything else he needed.

This loco became the 'Hayling Billy' and is now IOW No 8 I believe. I can remember looking at that loco and wishing that I could drive it. I haven't done so but as a Driver on the K&ESR I've managed to drive five of the preserved Terriers so far.

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Very interesting, so presumably by that count you must have driven at least one of the Bluebell Terriers?

3. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Now that beats any form of personal transport these days being able to just get on a terrier pop down to the next town and pick up what you wanted and chuff back .

4. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Both!

5. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hee Hee, W8 would pull 'em both backwards matey! A wonderful engine if I may say so myself.

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

So, which did you prefer? Although Fenchurch is the better engine I think Stepney has more character

7. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I drove Fenchurch years ago when she was on the K&ESR and I was a Fireman. I can't really remember what she was like. I drove Stepney for a day during the 'Terrier Fest' and rather liked her. Because she is vacuum braked there seems to be more room for the crew and, of course, there is no clonking from the air pump. I wouldn't want to take an unbraked goods train down Tenterden bank with her though - she had difficulty stopping light engine - air brakes are far better! What I like best about driving Terriers is the knowledge that I am doing something like the same job as somebody else was in the 1870's. When preparing No 3, Bodiam, which arrived on the KESR in about 1903, crews are doing the same job, on the same loco, in nearly the same place as the original K&ESR Drivers - wonderful.

8. kesrpaul

kesrpaul New Member

Word on the street keeps saying W8's coming to join the party during the gala this year Howard. I think you need to start bribing Seagull for a turn.

9. Seagull

Seagull Member

Maybe if he keeps the mince pies coming! Mind you, I'm still one in front of Howard on the Terrier count, can't have him catching up until I've driven W8 first!

10. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

I had a look round her in Rolvenden yard on Tuesday and will be driving her next Monday. I only had to wait around for 43 years for my wish to come true!

11. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

Lovely little engine. I only drove her about 5 miles though! The turn involved preparing 'Freshwater', driving up to Tenterden, back down to Rolvenden and banking a train to Tenterden. Then driving 'Bodiam', double headed with the 'P' to Bodiam and back to Tenterden. Then driving the J15 to Bodiam and back to Tenterden and then light engine out to Wittersham Road to dispose and leave her ready for collection by road. It's a hard life but somebody has to do it!
    I liked 'Freshwater' but both my arms are considerably longer than they were on Sunday - her regulator is the stiffest that I have ever used.

12. kesrpaul

kesrpaul New Member

lol, thats normal for W8.........It's known as "Terrier Elbow"!

Glad you enjoyed it Howard.

13. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see this even got featured in a special NP section in "The Railway" part at the back of Steam Railway!

Glad to see NP is getting its name out there!

14. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    lol - was reading this thinking "oh, I have obviously read the first post before, but why didn't I read the rest?". Of course the answer lies that I saw it in SR, ta for making me realise that chrishallam

15. williamfj

williamfj New Member

Student
    Now thats the way to get shopping!
    I wounder if I could get away with that kind of thing! :-k :smt002