If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Iraq 8F Repatriation

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Thompson1706, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have heard that the new Iraq government will let the loco be returned to G.B. provided that it is restored to working order & not rebuilt into a 'County' or 'Patriot'. It must also be repainted in the new Iraq State Railways livery of Purple ,Yellow & Orange.
    Initial enquiries should be addressed to Mr. Yussuf Bin Had at the Iraq Embassy in London.

Bob.

2. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

You are a few days early!

3. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I understand that the loco will be preserved in Iraq. Wind ups aside the Iraqi Govt is justifyingly concerned about its heritage disappearing, including more modern as well as ancient artifacts.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Actually, Not sure about the colour part, however I have actually heard that enquires as regards this locomotive have been made, and it did receive a favourable response.

The version I heard was a kin to the locomotive being restored as an ambassador to Iraq in the UK.

But who knows.. would be nice though.

5. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    An 8F in Purple, Yellow & Orange?
    Why not? As long as it's in horizontal stripes.
    Anything to give the livery freaks apoplexy. =D> =D>

6. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

How about rebuilding into another 8F?

7. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I have a cunning plan to make a new build of 48518 using the Iraqi loco as a donor :-$

8. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

You heretic! Wash your mouth out with beer!!!!

9. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    I heard it was in very poor condition?

10. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Why?

I believe, and have stated this on other threads, that these engines are historical artifacts and therefore should be restored to as near as possible a condition in which they ran in ordinary service. While you might not agree with that, it is a valid point of view which I have a right, especially on a debate forum such as this, to express without being subject to verbal abuse. Others have different points of view, which they are equally entitled to express without being subject to name calling.

People have put forward some logical arguments that a loco should carry a non-authentic livery: other class members, none of which survived, carried it so otherwise that livery would be lost; similar arguments have been put forward that, although no class member was ever so painted, no suitable survivor now exists so again that livery would be lost. While not necessarily agreeing with it, I can recognise and follow the logic. Less logical to me is that it would look nice in this paint scheme, but it is still head and shoulders above, "Let's paint it like this because it will annoy some people." I teach fourteen years olds, and they often follow a similar doctrine, but I cannot find a place for it in the world of railway preservation. These students also recourse to name calling others who do not share their point of view, and on these threads I have seen 'rivet counter', 'whingers' and, as above, 'livery freaks'. Such name calling does nothing to further your point of view, but serves only to cast doubts on your maturity. If you wish to be taken seriously, come up with valid reasons for a particular scheme and be prepared to dabate it, openly and fully, without the rancour.

Ultimately we all have a common interest and really should be helping and supporting each other. Unfortunately, and railway preservation is far from unique in this, there is nothing like a common cause for dividing the participants.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

How long before someone accuses you of having no sense of humour I wonder......

12. LMS2968

You perhaps?

That's the easy fall-back: he wants to make a serious point so therefore has no sense of humour. Humour has a place and I really liked the thread on 8624 and the red livery; it was well thought out and presented. But there's also a place for serious debate. Somehow I don't think the 'whingers' accusation had any trace of humour attached; it was just a substitute for a cohesive argument.

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Not me, I think you have a valid point.

14. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    There is a very broad spectrum of interests in the railway preservation world. Some enjoy the exact recreation down to the last exact specification nut and bolt, others live for the smell, others to listen and others for another million and one good reasons. Just because someone is not of the same opinion as you does not make them wrong. There has to be space for all.

Realistically in this day and age the one paying the bill makes the decisions. I don't feel an urge to contradict someone who has invested their time and money to bring a loco back from the dead and paint is as they see fit. Rather I feel the urge to congratulate them on giving other people the chance to see the loco working. Without the will to take on these projects we would be eating baked beans out of the tins made from the recyled scrap metal.

The National Collcetion is different and the restorations should have convincing (I would add technical) motives should they deviate from past history. The should inform people about the past and should carry only authentic liveries. I know that is is very difficult to be 100% authentic with any restoration but with our nationally owned heritage that is what we should aim for.

15. LMS2968

An example of what I mean!
    There will always be different points of view, and that's a healthy situation; we shouldn't all follow the same reasoning. I will still prefer a loco to be as historically correct as possible; others won't. But as to:
    I would suggest that the 6201 people might have been glad if it were true, following on all the posts which have appeared on this board!

16. 1X99

1X99 Member

I predict this will be a railway that will last a thousand years

17. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    Phew!, that told him :smt075

18. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    SoHF big time. [-X

19. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    What annoys me (and others) with these endless livery debates is the simple fact that the only people who have any right to complain when the chosen shade is not to their liking are those who have made a contribution to loco in question, either in terms of time and/or cash. So next time someone fancies a moan, then please include details of your involvement with the project or else keep quiet if you've nothing positive to offer.

Iain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.