If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Is there such a thing as too many heritage railways?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by zumonezumwhereinzummerzet, Nov 21, 2016.

?

Do you believe that the heritage railway movement can support more new projects in the long-term?

1. Yes - the number of projects is dictated by demand from the local communities

13.6%
  2. No - additional projects are not sustainable due to a deteriorating volunteer base

19.4%
  3. Possibly - it all depends on the circumstances of each project!

61.2%
  4. No - the heritage sector is overly reliant on lottery hand-outs which may not always be available

9.7%
  5. Yes - the Borders railway has demonstrated that some routes can be revived as 'real' commuter lines

6.8%
  6. No - there is a limited pool of suitable locos and stock which will become uneconomic to maintain

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

zumonezumwhereinzummerzet New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm sure this will duplicate existing, or past conversations - so apologies for that.

I'm interested on members views of the amount of potential new heritage railway sites opening up or proposed, and how this may effect established railways in their locality.

For example, I read of a group attempting to purchase a new site for another Mid-Suffolk railway revival, Radstock to Frome has been proposed for a long time and they've held a few exhibitions and had a Train Sim created, New Somerset and Dorset Railway has started clearing Midford station site (again). There are new proposed lines popping up all over.

What are the positives and negatives of this? Does it point to a genuine comeback for local rail services? Does the increase in the amount of project dilute the pool of available money, volunteers, locos and stock? Is there a particular project you feel is worthwhile or futile? I don't want this to become a thread that trashes people's ideas - so if you could keep it to reasoned discussion that'd be great. I'm just interested in people's views.

2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

none of these. I think there are probably too many projects for them all to survive over the next couple of decades, but also think there could be room for an extra project or two depending on the circumstances.

jnc and 35B like this.
  3. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

So, as a (Reading) general rule - what circumstances might be beneficial for a start-up heritage line? Such as catchment area, main line connection, proximity to other lines? Does there now have to be a unique selling point to justify the revival of a route? Or is it enough just for the opportunity to be good (track en-situ etc)?

ryan.hogg1890 likes this.
  4. Reading General

i think what it needs above all else is a charismatic Leader, preferably a rich one. Oh and a Facebook page :)

5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

The poll is flawed because of the way it includes the Borders Railway (a "mainline" reopening at costs that any heritage operation could only dream of affording) in amongst some reasonable permutations for genuine heritage operation.

However, I think we are at or near the point at which there is limited room for new railways as the costs of getting going rise, while existing schemes set a bar to follow. Any new scheme needs to have a really good differentiating factor that shows both why the opportunity should be taken AND why the targets are achievable. Those will rely on a combination of deep pockets and a really united volunteer base who can get the thing up and running. It can be done - Wirksworth, the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway and the Yorkshire Wolds Railway are all examples. However, those examples all also show the constraints on what is possible.

6. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

To be honest, the chances of a new heritage line opening in the future are pretty close to zero unless it is an 08 and a rusty old coach. See the thread on 08s for sale for details. Unless of course someone has very very deep pockets and wants to empty them.

paulhitch likes this.
  7. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

I realise the inclusion of the Borders route seems odd, but it was at various points mooted as a heritage route prior to it's eventual revival. Various heritage projects (such as Radstock-Frome) market themsleves as community railways, so although they do not have the same commuter market as Borders rail, the principle is that the revival is based on heritage and 'real' transport uses. I agree that the majority of large projects such as Waverley route/Borders Railway need government initiatives to get them going - but the pressure for revival usually has at least some of it's core support in the heritage sector (in my opinion).

8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I understand your perspective, but absolutely disagree with it. While I'm sure that there is a heritage component to the support, the campaign has always been public transport oriented

9. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

That's fair enough - it's far away from my locale so I bow to your better knowledge!

35B likes this.
  10. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some of the recent reopening schemes, such as a standard gauge revival in the heart of narrow gauge land & others on the doorstep of established heritage railways will struggle to get anywhere. The lack of suitable coaches, which even if they become available, are a premium price. They will find that they are priced out of the ex B.R. steam loco market, leaving the option of ex-industrial steam locos. This possibly leaves them with the alternative of D.M.U. operation, which is not a good draw for tourists.
    Some of these smaller lines which have been around for many years still struggle for suitable stock, so what chance does a new line have, & I haven't even mentioned volunteers yet !

Bob.

11. Reading General

check out the stock list for the line at Sharpness, which is pretty new. Lines such as the L&B show what the Southwold might achieve (and is fairly new itself)

12. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

I wonder if having a successful established railway nearby actually benefits a new project in some ways, for example - local authority support. Southwold has never seemed popular with planners, would that be the case if a major heritage line was present in the county?

I think L&B has a few selling points and some serious money behind it (members buying houses on the route to safeguard the trackbed). Southwold doesn't, to the casual observer, seem to have the same appeal.

ryan.hogg1890 likes this.
  13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

BIB - every heritage railway that has marketed itself as a community railway with a 'real' purpose has failed to provide such a service as it doesn't work economically/using volunteer support.

Though to be fair, a lot of the Sharpness stock has come at the GWSR's expense

Keith

14. Reading General

it's only relevant that they have got it surely

15. zumonezumwhereinzummerzet

I agree, it is very common for loco and rolling stock owners to transfer items from one railway to another as preferable facilities and agreements are offered. The presence of ex-BR locos does appear to make some enthusiasts take an organisation seriously.

16. simon

Sharpness may get off the ground but it is a railway from nowhere to nowhere via nowhere and AFAIK there is no station building signalling or other railway infrastructure so some one s going to have deep pockets and find someway to pull in the punters

17. Reading General

that may be so , but it shows that it isn't impossible for a new line to be set up

18. simon

As I said in my original post, no problem if you have deep pockets which you are prepared to empty.

19. Reading General

i said the same in post 4

20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I'd disagree to an extent, in that even if you have deep pockets there's an awful lot that's just not available any more. Sharpness is pretty unique in having a couple of folk on board who have been collecting their own private collection of stock for many years now, and been involved in preservation for some time.

Kinghambranch likes this.