If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Is this a Boiler plate?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Pete Murray, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Pete Murray

Pete Murray New Member

Hello everyone

I'm selling this on ebay - I haven't much of an idea of what this is.
    Could any of your members comment?
    [​IMG]

Many thanks
    Pete

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can you post a larger photo?

3. Pete Murray

Pete Murray New Member

I tried to increase the size of the pic... didnt really work, sorry I'm working away from home on my laptop
    It is listed on ebay the address is below there is a much better picture there...
    bp&co.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230861952687

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You don't say how big the plate is. Putting the info into Google, it looks like it could actually be the builders works plate for an Irish tank loco B-P build no 6634 of 1929 GNRI Class T2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bit more history ...... credit http://www.steamindex.com/locotype/gnri.htm

T2: Beyer Peacock: 1921-30
    Johnston pp. 114 and 203 notes that in 1915 design work was advanced for a modified version of the T1 4-4-2T to be constructed by Nasmyth Wilson, but that due to shortage of materials caused by WW1 the project was dropped. In 1920 the design was revived (the order book at Nasmyth Wilson states Works Numbers 1115-1119 finished by Beyer Peacock who gave them WN 6035-9). The cylinders were 18 x 24in. The superheated boiler had a heating surface of 1056ft2. The initial batch received running numbers 1 to 5. A batch of ten was supplied by Nasmyth Wilson (WN 1423-39) in 1924: these had scattered running numbers: 21, 30, 115, 116, 139, 142-144; 147 and 148. In 1929-30 Beyer Peacock (WN 6630-4) delivered the final batch which was given running Nos. 62-66: these had 200 psi boilers and steam sanding. About ten were used on Dublin suburban services and the remainder were based at Belfast and Portadown. From 1939 the boiler pressure was reduced to 175 psi on all the tank engines. In July 1940 No. 147 was fitted with an experimental boiler with a welded steel firebox and Sinuflo tubes. In 1941 No. 142 was subject to experiments in turf burning. In 1946 several were equipped for oil burning. Johnston pp. 120-2..

5. Pete Murray

Pete Murray New Member

Thanks so much for the information, I had tried to find some details online but failed miserably.
    I'm amazed I got it so wrong, I was under the impression that it came from an African or Chilean train.
    It's so much more valuable to me knowing it operated in Ireland...

I may have to re-think the ebay auction...