If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last October an article appeared in the local paper (copy attached below) describing our Chief Minister's (for whom, I am now ashamed to say, I voted) call for a change in the way that IoM Railways are operated including "arm's length delivery" by some sort of "charitable trust". Basically so that the Dept. of Infrastructure can get rid of a loss-making liability as they see it and not helped by the Minister responsible stating, and I think I am quoting him accurately, "if we shut the railways for a couple of years to save money it wouldn't do any harm". Whilst it is an undeniable fact that the railways require a very hefty annual subsidy from Treasury they bring in a lot of visitors who might not, otherwise, come here. A U.K. based company is currently undertaking a review of our Heritage Railways which will be presented to Gov't in due course. Sadly some of our politicians (and a few 'keyboard warriors') don't seem to realize what a unique product we have to offer.
    If you value the Island's Heritage Railways please consider completing the online survey https://consult.gov.im/infrastructu...3881OVJL6nrhnA3uhH1z1pQXojVIjnrGHjTUfVtSqi3LC
    Ray.
    Railway's future changes 28.10.22.jpg

MuzTrem, RASDV, weltrol and 5 others like this.
  2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Nice to see the names Derby and Pender appearing on side-by-side in-steam locos, kind of...

Chris86 likes this.
  3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Goldie and marshall5 like this.
  4. peckett

peckett Member

Thanks for the info ,I Popped in Port St Mary on Saturday and photted newly restored Kissack passing Mona. Another photo' attached is of the first train of the near Port Soderick. Its of Lock and Caledonia double heading. Excellent day with nice weather ,I was surprised at the small number of photographers about. Mostly locals.

Attached Files:

5. derby2

derby2 New Member

Ran out of jobs
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Also done; took me a bit longer than a minute as I had 'things to say' in the comments section! Link to the survey forwarded on to various friends who share my great liking for the IoM in general and the rail system there in particular.

marshall5 likes this.
  6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Done. I also had things to say in the comments so a bit longer than one minute.

marshall5 likes this.
  7. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Done with a few added comments.
    Also added to Raildate news gathering service for distribution on Friday
    https://latest.raildate.co.uk

Cheers, Neil

marshall5 likes this.
  8. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

As an IoM resident I have responded but it is a pretty poor survey in my opinion. You can respond stating you travel more than once a year or less than once a year but not that you might take an annual trip.

With regard to what I would do if the railway was not available it would depend what and why I was using the train for. Sometimes it is instead of driving, other times it might be accompanying friends & families visiting or as part of an event but all they offer is a simple tick box

andrewshimmin likes this.
  9. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    It's a pretty poor effort in all honesty, l completed last night whilst waiting for the boat back here to the mainland. It's the usual rubbish, slanted away from people who use the railway giving accurate responses, and basically giving the "authors" of this garbage the answers there looking for. On a far happier note, Saturday's celebration of the 150 anniversary was a fantastic day , undoubtedly one of the best l have been fortunate to attend. Thanks to everyone who came together and worked so hard to produce a brilliant event.

andrewshimmin and marshall5 like this.
  10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more - a very poor survey IMO. To me the most pertinent question would be "Would you still choose to visit the Island if the railway were to close?"
    I had an interesting morning accompanying a party of VIP's (who were here for tomorrow's Tynwald ceremony) around the steam railway workshops. Needless to say we stressed the unique nature of the IMR and its value as an attraction to off-Island visitors whose 'spend' vastly exceeds the subsidy. Perhaps we, as Island residents, also need to put pressure on our MHK's.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Survey filled in, making clear that any visit would depend on the presence of the railways.

andrewshimmin, marshall5 and black5 like this.
  12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

My about-a-minute doing the survey did include making a similar comment.

marshall5 and 35B like this.
  13. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Done, including extensive comments.

marshall5 likes this.
  14. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Done

marshall5 likes this.
  15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Done, also with extensive comments.

tbh, imo those questions were indirectly slanted to get "don't use / care about it / want it" answers.
    will be forwarding that link around my contacts ...

marshall5 likes this.
  16. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Also done with similar comments, but yes, I would agree that in common with most such surveys the questions are geared to getting a certain statistical response (including the one my employer foists on us every year and adjusts to remove the questions that haven't generated a positive response in the previous year!)
    As my statistics lecturer used to say, "always remember that 9 out of 10 statistics are complete rubbish" (although he didn't use the word rubbish....)

17. jamesd

jamesd Member

Without knowing any of the figures it is difficult to take an objective view of the situation. Many Manx residents may see the railways as draining vital resource from maintaining and improving the hospital/schools/highways (delete as appropriate) and will possibly be pushing the Manx Gov't to relinquish some control. They would therefore welcome a survey of this sort.

In terms of visitors, I've visited the IoM many times for the TT and to visit the railways and outside TT fortnight the island is very quiet so whether the railways bring in significant numbers on their won is questionable. As an aside the main factor that discourages me from visiting the IoM more frequently is the cost of the Steam Packet ferries. Holidaying in the UK is already expensive and throwing in a ferry trip makes it even more so. I know there are flights and you can go as a foot passenger but I like to take my car so that I can properly explore.

18. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    I agree, the cost of crossing by ferry is astronomical ... as the new "Manxman" has recently arrived, I'm hoping night crossings on the Ben-my-cree reduce in cost ...

19. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    They have a very good public transport system and a reasonable price for rover tickets. The wife and I have never felt the need to have our own transport during our visits (every few years for a week at a time).
    Going again in a few weeks time, so the survey was timely.

andrewshimmin, MuzTrem and marshall5 like this.
  20. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Must admit that I find it more economic to fly and then hire a basic small car for a few days although for me it is also a 500+mile round trip to get to/from the ferry!
    The island transport is excellent but if you want to do a bit of train chasing for photography and/or pack a bit more into your visit, having the car is a lot more convenient.

andrewshimmin likes this.