If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway C&W Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Islander, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest C&W update has just been published on the IWSR web site. The big news is that the IWSR's HLF supported C&W restoration project is through to the final of the 2010 National Lottery Good Causes Awards - voting starts on 26th July, I am sure that we can count on your votes!

If we are lucky enough to win the £2000 prize in the Heritage category it will be put towards the restoration of LBSCR Third 2403. The rebuild will include the creation of a wheelchair users compartment. A similar 'can't see the join' conversion was done to LCDR 4-wheel Third 2515 when it was rebuilt.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/news/carriage-a-wagon-news/176-carriage-a-wagon-news-june-2010.html

2. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

£ 2000? That wont go far wil it!

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

What an idiotic thing to say.
    Is the project better with £2000 or not???

Keith

4. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

You miss my point.

The project would be better with even £5 extra, that is a given. I merely wished to draw attention to the fact that since the Lottery is involving the public in not just one but , TWO, telephone contests and TV coverage is involved, then the prize of just £2000 is laughably small.

It would not buy you a decent second hand car let alone renovate a 100 year old railway carriage.

Since the Lottery have millions of OUR money at their disposal why are they so parsimonious in this case, with what are demonstably OUR popular causes. If we vote for them surely they should apportion enough to make a real difference, or even underwrite the project totally to ensure its sucess.

5. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The money is nice but the coverage may bring in extra donations, interest,voluenteers?

6. Islander

Islander Member