If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway 'Train Story' ready to open

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Islander, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The IWSR's Heritage Lottery funded rolling stock display and storage building, known as 'Train Story' will be opening to the public on Sunday 6th April 2014.

Railway staff were given a tour around the almost completed public areas last weekend, it really is hugely impressive! A major portion of our collection will be under cover and protected from the elements for the very first time since the IWSR arrived at Havenstreet in 1971, and it will be fully accessible to visitors. Pictures are on our web site:

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/news/railway-staff-get-a-train-story-preview-102.aspx

andrewtoplis and Tom Desmond like this.
  2. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

this is an incredible facility for the IOWSR
    im not really a fan of 'modern' interactive museum type displays and hope in due course some the IOWSR's considerable archive collection can be displayed in this building. the IOWSR has quite a 'reserve' collection that hopefully in due course will adorne the walls etc. the gasworks museum has always been superb, and the recent display of 'spare parts' from O2s etc has been very interesting.
    the ability to house the priceless collection of ex-IW coaching stock under cover is a considerable achievement. i hope many will visit it this year and enjoy!
    cheers,
    julian

3. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I understand that it is intended to move some of the collection that is currently either in store or displayed out of doors into or close to Train Story. For example, there are a number of Southern Railway concrete station running in boards at various places around the site and some large enamel signs looking for a home. At the moment the priority is to get everything in place ready for opening to the public on Sunday. A more formal 'official' opening will take place later in the season.