If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Italian Steam: Novara to Varallo

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ilvaporista, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Here is a short video of last weekend's trip from Novara up the picturesque valley to Varallo and return hauled by loco 625 177 of the FS Foundation. The loco from 1922 is outside valvegear but with inside cylinders.

On board the team from the Museo Ferroviario Valsesiano (MFV) laid on tasting samples of local products washed down with locally produced wine, served by the Mayor of Varallo. A full programme of tours and visits was laid on during the layover in Varallo and the whole town joined in with activities. For those on the book of face there is an album showing the day in pictures
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/nordcapstudio/photos/?tab=album&album_id=641603226047105

There are exciting plans ahead for this sleepy line and future trains are already fully booked with but a handful left on the Christmas special on 10th December.

The museum displays a small portion of it's collection at Varallo station with the intention to expand. Varallo station remains almost the same as it was in steam days, the working turntable and water columns give added interest and the loco shed is gradually being restored.

You can follow the activities at
    http://www.museoferroviariovalsesiano.it/home/

I had a wonderful day out in the company of friends and can't wait for the next one.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  2. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Lovely. Always good to see Italian steam.

3. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Don't forget the RTC Trieste Venice Verona via 3 hilly lines at the end of the month--all steam(either 740/625/640/685 - prob a 625)
    I'll be on board
    Ray Mason

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

So will I.

RayMason likes this.
  5. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Indeed those lines are great. Have a good trip and enjoy the experience!

RayMason likes this.
  6. RayMason

RayMason Member

Actually the KKStP 2-8-0 728 class from Trieste better known in Austria+(Czech:/Slovakia let alone other parts of the Hapsburg Empire which included Trieste-served by the Sudbahn from Wien rather than the FS from Roma!!)
    The joys of enforced changes to borders...
    The other loco is listed as 740.038(Verona based maybe)
    We shall see.......!!!!
    See you onboard Paul and thanks ilvaporista-- did you visit these lines with steam in yesteryear?!!
    Ray

7. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I have only been here 27 years so I missed normal steam operations. I have done a fair few specials and other trips on normal services.

8. RayMason

RayMason Member

740.293 working tomorrow...... a loco based at Verona /Venice. We had a keen crew yesterday for our foray to Calalzo in the Dolomites with this locomotive.
    728.022 in excellent form-90 mins of tender first thrash out of Trieste to Udine- nonstop!
    A trip on the 1908 Italia on L Garda was a welcome extra option today. A diesel paddle boat it was a relaxing way of viewing both shores of the lake
    Ray Mason
    Ps Nigel is planning further Italian steam trips over' new' or rarely visited lines

ilvaporista likes this.
  9. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The PROVISIONAL dates for specials organised by the Valsesia Railway Museum in conjunction with the FS Foundation have been released, Route is Novara - Varallo and steam hauled unless otherwise indicated ( as ever things can change at the last moment but the availability record is very high for FS Foundation locos)
    - 2 April
    - 29 April
    - 8 July
    - 14, 15, 21 and 22 July (Tourist specials in conjunction with the Alpàa festival, hauled by vintage railcars)...
    - 2 September
    - 16 September Novara-Borgomanero-Domodossola 130 years since opening
    - 21 October
    - 16 December, in conjunction with Varallo Christmas market

I should be around on a few of the dates as English speaking guide. Novara is only a short hop from Milan Malpensa airport and EasyJet has many cheap flights from the UK.

Edit:
    Booking will open as soon as the dates are confirmed. If you do come let me know and I can arrange seating so that a group will be together and it makes my job a bit easier rather than having to hunt the whole train for only English speakers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  10. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Nice looking programme. Novara - Domodossola in September appeals.

Don't know if you've seen this Adrian, but some interesting stats about FS Fondazione on here. http://m.ilgiornale.it/news/2018/01/02/che-folla-su-quel-treno-partito-cento-anni-fa/1479231/

Ignore the photo of the German EMU at the top! Over 70,000 passengers carried last year, up from 6,000 just 4 years ago. Very impressive! Interesting that some lines have carried more passengers on a handful of railtours than they did on a year's worth of service trains.

ilvaporista likes this.
  11. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Indeed, I keep in touch with the FS Fondazione news and there are ongoing discussions not only about the specials but other items where the museum could help. We shall see what comes of these and I am also working on a project with MFV for a 'little something' for the Varallo Museum. The shed doors have been restored off site and are now back waiting to be finished and hung.

5944 likes this.
  12. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    ilvaporista, Paul42 and Train Watcher like this.
  13. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I am not sure which trips I will be doing yet. Let me know if you book one. Due to the restrictions I have not been up the valley since early February but plans are afoot to go in the next couple of weeks to see progress. My 'little project' for the museum has also had some delays.

14. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The big special train this year is indeed quite a treat.
    After much negotiation the trip will be on the 22nd October from Chivasso up the valley to Aosta.
    This will very probably be the last ever steam working before the line is electrified with Overhead power cables.
    The full adult fare is €45 return and if you look closely flights are pretty cheap in mid week.
    I'll be there, but only as a passenger. If you do travel, bring something to sit on. The wooden seats can be a bit unforgiving after a few hours.
    No news yet on the motive power as FS Foundation has a few issues to work through on the steam fleet.