If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ivatt 2 2-6-0 46428

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by std tank, Jun 6, 2016.

1. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, after many years waiting, 46428 was split into its component parts at Bury on the ELR, today. 46428 Boiler Lift.JPG 46428 Frame Lift.JPG

2. 63A

63A New Member

Good news - remember sitting on the front buffer beam as a kid having picnics at Boat of Garten on the way to Sutherland on holiday

3. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Top Banana!

46428 should suit the lancs quite nicely tbh, must say though the standard 4 group are gonna have their hands full restoring this though. It looks bit of a wreck but sure they'll do a sterling job.

Nice to see the ELR steam fleet coming along nicely now with some larger locos slowly being resurrected, 46428, 92134 will definitely fit in as when 92214 visited us from the MRB a few years ago it certainly drew the crowds & the regular steam bashers enjoyed it. Also heard that 2-8-2 gwr tank 7229 is to hopefully have it's overhaul started soon too. Also guys anybody know, with 92134 being a single chimney 9F will it sound different to a regular 9F???

4. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Pedant mode Luke :-
    My now rather scrappy 1964 Combined Volume tells me that 92000/1 /6 165/6/7 (mech stokers) 178 and 183-249 were fitted with double chimneys and 92250 was fitted with a Giesl ejector, in total 75 of the 240 listed then.
    That would make the single chimney 9F very much the 'regular' variant, shame 92134 is the only survivor.

I can't remember whether they sounded different or not but I do remember being distracted from lessons at the Grammar School by the impressive sight of a pair of them lifting 8 to 10 100 ton bogie oil tankers out of Arpley Yard on the climb to cross the Ship canal at Latchford.

Look forward to seeing both 46428 and 92134 in service.

5. forty

forty Member

Not forgetting the standard tank 80097 which should appear a long time in front of those mentioned above.

black5 likes this.
  6. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Aye looking forward to that, although a fe months off completion IIRC the boiler still needs some work.