If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

J21 65033 gets its money!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by paullad1984, Jun 19, 2017.

1. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Just seen a post on Facebook saying national lottery has given The Locomotive and Conservation Learning Trust has been awarded £900,000+ to rebuild the J21 65033. Fantastic news.

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great news!

Here's the release from the Stainmore Railway Company's Facebook page:
    "
    After much effort by a small, but totally committed team, we are absolutely delighted to be able to announce the following:

MILLION POUND NATIONAL LOTTERY GRANT TO BRING CUMBRIAN STEAM LOCOMOTIVE HOME

A VICTORIAN steam locomotive and Edwardian stores van housed at Kirkby Stephen East (KSE) station are to be restored, thanks to National Lottery players.

The Locomotive Conservation and Learning Trust (LCLT) has been awarded £954,900 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to finally restore the 1889 built North Eastern Railway J21 locomotive No 65033 to steam over the very line it used to work. It will also be used to develop a heritage and interpretation centre within an Edwardian railway stores van and on the enclosed platform area at the station.

Describing the award, LCLT Chairman Toby Watkins said:

“This is fantastic news for the Trust, our partners the Stainmore Railway Company at KSE, and for the town of Kirkby Stephen. This superb investment by the HLF will transform KSE into a leading Cumbrian tourist attraction and will be a tremendous boost for the town”.

Aside from providing a flagship working steam locomotive at the fast growing railway at KSE the project will also fund an exciting activity and events programme in an innovative interpretation area within an Edwardian vehicle and the station itself. As Toby explained:

“This is about so much more than the steam locomotive. For two years a small team of experienced professionals have devised a project that will develop skills, grow the number of volunteers, offer more attractions and events, and develop KSE into a Cumbrian mecca for heritage”.

“It will also create two part-time posts; just one of the many ways we see the project directly and indirectly benefitting the local economy”.

The award of nearly a million pounds marks the culmination of a two-year ‘Development Phase’ that the HLF granted £38,500 towards in order to properly assess the cost of restoring the locomotive and the interpretation vehicle, professionally design a range of exhibits that will appeal to a wide spectrum of the public, and to identify the needs of the public, local schools and bodies, and the volunteers to make the railway grow.

Partnering and hosting the LCLT’s locomotive and vehicles are the Stainmore Railway Company (SRC) who have been steadily restoring KSE since acquiring the site in 1997. Describing what the award means to the SRC and KSE, SRC Chairman Dr Mike Thompson said:

“This award represents a huge vote of confidence by the HLF in the team of volunteers at KSE who have made tremendous progress since taking over the abandoned railway 20 years ago. It enables us to now accelerate plans to develop our project as a centre of North Eastern Railway excellence”

The locomotive, built in 1889, the ‘Stainmore Survivor’, is the sole remaining example of 201 of its type. It was twice withdrawn from service, in 1939 and 1962, and was eventually saved in June 1968, four days before it was due to be removed for scrap. Mike added:

“65033 last steamed in 1983. The intervening 34 years have seen numerous failed attempts to restore the locomotive. This is our fifth submission to the HLF and, at last, we have been successful in obtaining the necessary funds to undertake an overhaul to the highest possible standards thus returning the locomotive to full working order for the enjoyment of all”

Although very much regarded as an unglamorous workhorse, it famously hauled King George VI to Kirkby Stephen and, on December 4 1942, took Winston Churchill on his visit to the Battle School at Barnard Castle. It spent much of its life working the line over Stainmore and through KSE.

The Edwardian vehicle housing the interpretation suite is a stores van dating from 1902 and was used to transport equipment to locations such as KSE which had no road access. The LCLT is keen to ensure that the story of this less glamorous side of steam railway operation is not forgotten, as well as explaining the locomotive’s story through the lives of the people that it touched for nearly 130 years.

Of the van, Toby said:

“At over 50 feet long, but somewhat derelict, this vehicle is fantastic as a unique artefact that will be restored to 1902 condition. However, its very nature as a freight vehicle means that there is a large space that will soon see exciting, cutting edge exhibits that will be the envy of many a museum”.

"The success of this project would not be possible without the hard work of the dedicated team of LCLT and SRC volunteers, as well as the many friends and experts in the railway heritage field who have done so much for us free of charge over the past few years."

Nathan Lee, Head of HLF North West said: “This is excellent news for this volunteer run organisation, who together provide one of the most popular tourist attractions in Cumbria. Bringing this fascinating little engine back into use will offer new exhibits that will explore 200 years of rail in the region and an action-packed programme of events on offer for families, schools, local Scout groups and volunteers.”
    "

Keith

35B, Jamessquared and iancawthorne like this.
  3. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    The heritage lottery fund has just awarded £954,900 to restore NER J21 65033, the money will also see a stores van restored as a complementary interpretation piece as well as facilities to carry out the restoration of the loco. Very good news for the railway and a long time coming.

4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good news! Well done all concerned. The humble 0-6-0 goods engine was truley the backbone of our railway system, it's great to see one have it's day in the sun again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

I've watched this loco for years. She deserves new life.

6. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Fantastic news indeed. Well done to all involved and I look forward to seeing a J21 moving under her own steam at Kirkby Stephen East. Something I've dreamt of for many years.

Now for the livery debate :rolleyes:

Matt37401 likes this.
  7. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Fantastic news to see this developing. Its a gorgeous engine and design that worked routes and duties that other engines of the period would baulk at before attempting.

It will be great to see it steam and hopefully tour!

Matt37401 likes this.
  8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Great News, It seems to have been somewhat in limbo since a restoration attempt last decade went pear shaped.

paullad1984 likes this.
  9. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Excellent news!! another NER engine on it's way back

paullad1984 likes this.
  10. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

She's been silent too long.

11. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

No debate. LNER black...

12. Arther1973

Arther1973 New Member

No debate; the bid clearly states that it will initially be turned out in NER green as No.876. However, taking our cue from Tornado, it will eventually don the guise of LNER 5033 and then return as 65033 in due course.

MarkinDurham, 35B and andalfi1 like this.
  13. iancawthorne

Excellent news! I don't really mind what livery it appears in, but it will certainly be a welcome sight in NER green, and BR black / LNER black will also look great.

Is there a timeline in place for the overhaul?

14. Arther1973

Arther1973 New Member

Ian, the livery is always going to be a bit of a compromise but the HLF are interested in a wider sphere than enthusiasts such as ourselves. The NER livery accentuates the Victorian nature of the locomotive and of course works well with the growing collection of NER rolling stock at Kirkby Stephen East.
    It will don unlined black again but the big problem from a wider public point of view (such as remembering us and coming back) is that to 95%+ a J21 is indistinguishable from a 4F or similar such like 0-6-0.

15. Arther1973

Arther1973 New Member

Just realised I never answered your question: I would guess at late 2019.

andalfi1 likes this.
  16. iancawthorne

Thanks, yes I completely agree. While I'd love to see a J21 in BR black at the head of a mixed goods train, NER green makes a lot of sense and I'd equally like to see it any of the liveries it carried through it's career. Very much looking forward to 2019/2020.

andalfi1 and Arther1973 like this.
  17. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Oh I don't know... silhouette of the J21 is a lot, in fact quite a lot, better proportioned than engines such as the 4F, C-class, Black Motor, Dean goods, Gresley J3, Robinson J11 and even the NERs own J26/27.

The J21 has the classic looks, power and history that as a story and part of railway history could rival the pedigree of a top link engine. Not to mention it worked for years on a route that most of the above simply would not have been able to cope with over Stainmore.

Personally, its great news that finally the engine will be returned to steam. I'm looking forward to seeing it in NER Green, although as 65033 along side others in BR black which is the main period of preservation the J21 would look stunning with company such as 63395, 62005, 78018/19.

Just need that G5 finished now!

andalfi1 and Arther1973 like this.
  18. Arther1973

Arther1973 New Member

A NER/LNER Gala beckons!!! :)

andalfi1 likes this.
  19. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Personally I remember her from her time at Beamish in green so I look forward to it. Will there be a replica brass bonnet for the safety valves?

2392 and Arther1973 like this.
  20. Arther1973

Arther1973 New Member

Yes, I'm sure it's safely tucked away in our store at the NRM.