If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jessie at the Avon Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by theonlyadsrulz, Jul 20, 2011.

1. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having seen on twitter that saddle tank 'Jessie' has arrived at the Avon Valley Railway, I was wondering the reason behind its arrival at Bitton. Since off the top of my head I know the railway has two operational steam locos, the only reasons I can think of would be one or both of these locos is currently non-operational, or Jessie has come in to bolster the fleet.

So my question is, what is the reason for Jessie being at the AVR, and how long is she expected to stay at the line?

Any information would be much appreciated. :)

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It has been brought in to cover for Karel the polish engine which is poorly I was told, dont know what is wrong with it or how long it is out of servive or how long Jessie is staying.
    Jessie was working the trains sunday along with the DMU though, She looked and sounded great!

3. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

They've still got last month's loco roster on the website. I've emailed them to see if I can sample it soon.

4. Andy B

Andy B Member

Problem with Karel is a hole in the main steam pipe in the boiler from the reulator. steam going continuously to the cylinders is not good! Repairs already underway to replace defective pipe. Believe jessie on loan to October. Looks (and sounds) a handsome machine.

5. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Karel was seen last night on a Moveright International transporter heading eastwards down Plump Hill, on the edge of the Forest of Dean. According to the AVR web site, Karel has been at the Flour Mill having a 10 year overhaul and is due back sometime in 2016, so it looks to be on its way.

6. Biggles633

Biggles633 New Member

Gas Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Karel has returned to AVR. Seen on their FB page.