If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

July 9th 2014.......... End of SR Steam Anniversary run.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Jun 2, 2014.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am considering going on the RTC Dorset Coast Express on the date of the end of SR Steam Anniversary. Can we expect anything "Special" (9th July 2010 saw 46115 haul this run) for this trip as it is also the first train in the Programme? Might we have two Bulleids on the run with 34046 one way and 34067 on the return run? Anyone know the status of the situations with these two locos?
    Steam Dreams have abandoned attempting a run on the 9th (probably crewing problems with WCRC operating for both companies) with a trip to Swanage with 70013 the following day.
    Or will I be better off going to the MHR for the day on the 9th? ;)

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I was thinking of doing it myself, but finances will probably dictate that if I do a 'Dorset', it will be in August. I certainly intend to be in London for that month, doing some research in the National Archives.

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

What with Braunton's tyres and Tangmere's syphons (if, indeed, that's what the problem is) it's probably too early to say...

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Not sure this is down as a specific anniversary run this year? Just a normal Dorset Coast Express from Victoria.

Maybe, and very sadly, the days of the real July 9th anniversary trains seem to have gone. Gone with GB leaving SD perhaps.

GB came up with something special to celebrate the occasions. Much hard work by him and others I know. And it was very well appreciated by those of us who were timing trains back in those wonderful bygone days.

But nothing stays the same forever, and those now involved with the steam specials have to make sure the product is cost effective etc I am sure.

So my stop watch is, these days, only being used to time Short-eared Owls. :eek: (Flight patterns, how long on the ground to finish off a kill etc etc....)

5. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly last year's 9th July trip was due to be hauled by Tornado (which was bad enough) and then finally went behind a DBS box due to fire risk!

The last decent 9th July run was in 2012 I think with Clan Line and the one behind Tangmere the previous year was pretty good too. I think you were on both of those?

6. green five

Last year was pretty much a disaster. RTC had a trip planned to Exeter which was cancelled as 34067 was unavailable for the return run and the SD trip was due to be hauled by Tornado but was later changed to Diesel haulage because of the fire risk.

I travelled on the two runs you mentioned in 2012 and 2011. Excellent trips with some memorable fast sections and non-stop runs. On the 35028 run of 2012 the non-stop section from just outside Eastleigh to London was superb; as we hammered through Woking at over 70mph I had a lump in the throat.

And don't forget the LMS interloper 48151 which provided a very spirited run from Weymouth to Yeovil Junction on the 2011 SD excursion.
    2010's RTC trip was rather good too with 46115 on top form. Oh, and we had the two lovely RTC ladies posing next to the loco at Salisbury as well :)

KentYeti likes this.
  7. banana patch

banana patch Member

I am sure nigel would love both bullieds on but Its not in his hands is it? Lets just hope!

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes, I was on both of those. Damn good trips too. I understand those on adjoining tables have just finished their "I sat near the Yeti" therapy. :eek:

Not sure a Bulleid will ever leave Waterloo again and get to Southampton, (passed at a crawl and after earlier checks), in 84 mins 12 secs actual time. Circa 77 minutes net to a stop. 34067 in 2011.

Or ever get a pathway again that allows one to run for so many miles at an average of 70 mph coming back up from Eastleigh. 35028 in 2012. Which also did an even time run on the way down. Earlsfield to Overton!

Those were the days. But in 2011/12 and not 1962/67.

Part of my reluctance to venture out into the latest scene is I'd rather end my stop watching of Bulleids on those routes with those runs.

gricerdon and Drysdale like this.
  9. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes Yeti the will isn't there any more and not just because GB has gone. Its a combination of that and the train planners, especially whoever does SWT. They dont seem to believe that a fast steam train CAN be fitted in to the service, provided that its timed carefully through the key points like Woking and Northam Jct. It has been done before and could be done again. Also an 80 minute Waterloo to Salisbury time is feasible if the will were there to find the path. It would of course need a guaranteed class 7 or 8 engine whereas all we seem to get now is class 5. Today's times to Swanage were absolutely dire and if these form the basis of the summer Dorsets then I will not be booking on any of these this year, sadly. Fortunately other TOCS, like FGW (see latest HR mag) and Chiltern and tour companies like Vintage and Pathfinder have a different view and know it can be done. So its copper cap country for me plus maybe the occasional foray onto the GN main line.

gricerdon

KentYeti likes this.
  10. Steamage

Maybe things aren't so bleak. 34046 is back at Southall, having been to Ilford, presumably for tyre turning. 34067 is booked to go to Carnforth today, so maybe they'll both be ready in 4 weeks time. Also, Ollie should be back in action by then. Any 2 from those 3 would make a good team. 44932 has been performing well lately, too, so there's strength on the sub's bench.

11. green five

Having seen the info in the RTC thread I have booked the day off for 9th July today. Now to decide what to do: MHR or DCE? Fingers and toes crossed for 2 steam loco's on the first DCE...................

Dare I say the likely line-up may be 34046 and 44932 for the DCE on the first run or perhaps 70013 might step in for 70000?
    44932 should cope well as she has worked on these runs before and put in a rather stirring run on the outward leg of a trip I travelled on.

12. Steamage

I'd guess 44932, too. WCRC, understandably, appear to keep things in-house when they can. The Black Five down in the morning and Braunton back up in the evening, would be my hope.

13. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

70013 is on the Cath. ex the following day so unlikely.
    No DCE'S listed on Icons of Steam website yet, only Torbay Expresses.

14. green five

I have booked 3 seats on the 9th July trip today. So now sods law will probably kick into action knowing my luck!
    Fire risk / lack of loco's / a strike of some sort* will now come in to play no doubt! ;)

*Delete as appropriate.

Uk steam info now shows 34046 and 34067 for this trip but Icons of steam site does not yet mention these runs as Paul posted earlier. I had forgot 70013 was working the CE trip the next day so that probably rules her out although they could do with the extra work after losing the two runs this weekend. So I guess the loco situation is still up in the air at the moment with 44932 probably in the mix.

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I know that I am slightly biased but it really is a sorry state of affairs when you have to scratch around for a loco starting with a 3 to run the annual commemorative end of Southern Steam trip. As it stands (excluding Clan Line that earns it keep elsewhere) we seem to only have one and a half Bulleid Pacifics to run up and down the SWML. Thank goodness for Braunton, I say. I wonder whether David Smith will send 35018 down to Southall when it is finished. My worry is that he will look at having the luxury of a Class 8 locomotive at Carnforth and hang onto her for all the Shap and Ais Gill stuff.

16. Paul42

It depends on who actually owns 35018. Is it David Smith or John Bunch's inlaws or someone else ? and the area where the owners support crew comes from.

17. green five

What's worrying is the fact that 34046 is currently only listed for the CE this Thursday on the Icons of steam website. After that she is rostered for The Torbay Expresses so she is off to the WR going by the Ioco's own page.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

18. Paul42

34046 shared the Torbay's with 5029 last year. The pool for the Torbays is from LSL locos 34046, 5029, 70000 and 4464 2 of the Torbay's go via Bath and Westbury and A4,s do not fit oneway under the Aquaduct and 70000 is not expected back until the end of July. Since the TOC for the Torbays is DBS this limits motive power to airbraked locos.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

With 35028 coming off mainline for overhaul next year, we await the operator and locomotive to be used by the VSOE (sorry plastic pullman).
    35018 would be a like for like swap and pretty lucrative business if WCRC were to obtain this business.
    Then again, with the silence of 60163 this year, that also could be a lifeline for everyone all round too if EWS retained that work.

20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Only if 35018 is fitted with air brakes. Not sure if this is the plan.