If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

K&ESR May Steam Up

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Seagull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Seagull

Seagull Member

The Kent & East Sussex Railway in Tenterden are planning a fantastic bank holiday weekend when visitors can enjoy a good old “Steam Up” each day between 4 and 6 May 2013.

A varied timetable will afford plenty of opportunities to travel behind several locomotives between Tenterden and Bodiam as well as time to admire the beautifully restored rolling stock kept in tip top condition by staff at the railway.

At least five locomotives will be in steam each day including an unusual locomotive called “Gervase” which has the strange characteristic of looking as if it’s the wrong way up! Rather than the boiler being in the normal horizontal position we’re used to seeing, the boiler in Gervase is vertical. The locomotive is a Sentinal 0-4-0 that previously worked on the internal railway system at a brick works near Redhill in Surrey and was rescued for preservation on the Kent & East Sussex Railway back in the 1960’s. The engine saw very limited use on engineering trains in the very early days of the preservation project (although was never used on passenger trains), and was subsequently sold to a private individual. The locomotive has recently been the subject of a major restoration project and the Steam Up event will see the return of Gervase to the Kent & East Sussex for the first time since the mid 1960’s. The engine will be working a passenger shuttle service between Tenterden and Rolvenden on Saturday and Sunday, along with the railway’s diminutive 0-4-0 Peckett Tank locomotive “Marcia”. On Monday Gervase will work a return passenger service to Bodiam before being used to “push” passenger trains up the steep incline from Rolvenden to Tenterden. A short “rededication” ceremony will be held at Tenterden at 10.45 on the Saturday morning to welcome Gervase back, which may well include volunteers who remember the locomotive when it was last in steam on the railway in the 1960’s.

On Saturday & Sunday, there will be five return passenger trains to Bodiam as well as the three Tenterden – Rolvenden – Tenterden shuttle services featuring Gervase & Marcia. In addition a lunchtime Pullman service (pre-bookings only) will also be operating on these days.

On Monday there will be nine return passenger services to Bodiam including Gervase’s first passenger working to Bodiam departing Tenterden at 9.50am and returning from Bodiam at 10.55am.

“Pump Trolley” rides will be available for the public at Tenterden both Saturday and Sunday and on Monday there will be “goods brake van” rides with Marcia at Tenterden..

There will also be FREE heritage bus service between Headcorn mainline station and Tenterden Town Station on Sunday and Monday. Please see kesr.org.uk for a downloadable timetable.

Standard fares apply: Child 3-15 £10, Adult £15, Senior Citizen £14, family (2 adults and up to 3 children or 1 adult and up to 4 children) £42.

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    do you have any idea which locos from the K&ESR home fleet will be rostered?

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

4. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Just looking at the allocations it looks as if 6619 isn't working next weekend, can this be comfirmed please. If the loco does operate any chance please it can haul a freight train?

5. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    When I saw 6619 on Thursday, it was being prepared for an (insurance?) exam, so doubt it will be out next weekend.
    I would of course be delighted to be proved wrong.:)

6. Seagull

Seagull Member

Unfortunately 6619 is not available because of washout and maintenance, Marcia has developed a boiler problem while in France at the Baie de Somme which won't be repaired in time. Timetables are being rejigged a bit and things are subject to change, but expect to see Gervais, 32678, 32670, 1638, austerity No 23 and Manning Wardle No14 Charwelton.

7. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Shame about Marcia, but that is still one heck of a line up for a Gala. All being well I shall be along on Saturday. To be honest, two Terriers and a Pannier would get me there!!

8. desperado

desperado Member

In previous years there's been one diesel working during the big May gala. I can't see any sign of that this year. Is this correct?
    I'd like to have a run off 33052 this year but in previous years, everything it's done has been extremely short notice except for the one working during the May gala.
    Thanks
    JP

9. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

No, no diesels out this weekend... it's a steam up

10. desperado

desperado Member

Thanks. That's what I expected but I wanted to be sure.

11. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Spoke too soon, just seen the new roster. The Pannier is now restricted to the Pullman on the days when the Terriers are out & about.

Two Terriers and an Austerity not so attractive. I won't now be making the long trek.

It's still a terrific railway though!

12. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Granted the Pannier will not be running on the A set on those days, but it is a lunchtime Pullman. So there are two Terriers, an Austerity, the Pannier, Charwelton AND Gervase all out and about! A chance to photograph all six engines, on four different sets, and in daylight, too!

13. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Also on Monday when 1638 does 3 round trips,neither Terrier is out just 3 industrials.
    Oh well better luck next year.

14. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Maybe so, but when I pay for a rover ticket, I want to ride behind as many locos as possible and I (and I suspect many other people) would have preferred 1638 to an Austerity.

15. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    I normally only go to K&ESR for this event.With no visiting ex BR locos visiting is ideal for me as I hoped the home fleet would get more use.
    But with the Terriers only working Saturday and Sunday,Pannier only on Monday is a great shame.
    I therefore cannot justify the expense of driving 365 miles.

16. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Each to their own, I guess...

17. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    According to my roster I'm driving 32670 at 12.15 on Monday. The last time I looked it was a Terrier. The train is supposed to be banked by Gervaise up Tenterden Bank. Am I missing something? Has it changed again since yesterday?

Wenlock likes this.
  18. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    You have the advantage of the AMMENDED (sic) Final WTT dated 2nd May, (I recvd. mine today by email).

Last time I looked the public website loco roster still did not show any Terriers

19. Seagull

Seagull Member

As an unexpected surprise the Engineering Department have agreed to allow newly overhauled Norwegian mogul No 376 to appear as banking loco in place of charwelton on the Tenterden/Rolvenden shuttles this weekend. This is a running in turn for the loco so she may have to be withdrawn at short notice, but hopefully if all goes well she will run on Saturday and Sunday.

Wenlock likes this.
  20. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Well, if 377 is running then I'll definitely be there.