If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kent & East Sussex Railway Gala 5-6-7-May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Seagull, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Seagull

Seagull Member

The Annual “Great Gala Weekend” will take place at the Kent & East Sussex Railway between 5 and 7 May 2012.

This year the railway will welcome some outstanding visiting locomotives including GWR 42XX No.4247 and GNR N2 No.1744. No 4247 was built in Swindon in 1916 at a cost of £2,918. This powerful locomotive weighs 66 tons 12cwt empty, increasing to 81 tons when full. The principle role of the class was working the 1000+ ton coal trains up through the Welsh valleys. 4247 spent some of her life in “the Valleys” but also spent a number of years doing a similar job in Cornwall, on the china clay runs, a task with similar needs as the coal work, the line through the infamous Pinnock Tunnel was one such route conquered by these engines. In 1964, aged 48 years, after 759,392 miles, she was sent to Barry for scrapping. In 1985 the 4247 Preservation Society (now 4247 Limited) bought the engine and the 16 year £300,000 restoration began. Her inaugural preservation run took place on 9th September 2001 on the West Somerset Railway and she now resides at the Bodmin and Wenford Railway. Sister locomotive number 4253 arrived on the Kent & East Sussex Railway 2011 in “ex Scrap yard” condition and a long term restoration process has commenced.

Visitors can also see the punchy Ex-GNR Class N2 0-6-2T No 1744 (LNER No. 1744, BR 69523) which was built in the 1920’s by the North British Locomotive Co. in Glasgow and designed by Nigel Gresley. No 1744 was allocated to Kings Cross shed. The locomotive weight is 70.25–71.45 long tons (71.38–72.60 t). The N2s were designed for suburban passenger operations, and worked most of the duties out of King's Cross and Moorgate, often hauling one or two quad-art sets of articulated suburban coaches. These ran to places such as New Barnet and Gordon Hill on the Hertford loop.

The Kent & East Sussex Railway’s own steam stock will also be working during the gala including two locomotives aged over 100: – Terrier Class locos No. 3 “Bodiam” and 32678. A number of the line’s lovingly-restored train of Victorian carriages will be amongst those in action for this special event.

Passenger trains will run along the 10½ miles of restored line from Tenterden Town Station to Northiam and Bodiam throughout the event with a regular service from 10.30am until 4.30pm on all three days plus “early bird” specials around 9.30am.

The Carriage & Wagon shed at Tenterden will be open allowing visitors to take a fascinating look behind the scenes and see the painstaking work that goes to restore and maintain the line’s fleet of historic coaches.

At Wittersham Road there will demonstrations of the activities of the Permanent Way department, who maintain the railways track, including craning of materials and a display of the “on track” machines which are increasing mechanising the track maintenance process.

Away from the tracks, railway stalls offer a glimpse into the world of railway preservation and historic buses show public transport from days gone by.

Gala prices – adult £17.50, Senior £15, Child £12.50, family £50, member £10. Two day tickets: adults £30, senior £25, child £20, member £20. Three day tickets: adult £35, senior £30, child £25, member £25.

For more information or to book tickets telephone 01580 765155 or visit the website The Kent & East Sussex Railway - the country's finest example of a rural light railway - The Kent & East Sussex Railway

2. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Sounds like a terrific event to look forward to, thanks for the info.

Cheers

3. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

While the 42XX is of no great interest to me I am looking forward to riding behind the N2 climbing Tenterden bank, the noise should be fantastic!

4. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Also is there any chance the 42xx could run an early morning freight train with BR wagons please?

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Likewise. As long as they give it the beans. The only time I've heard the N2 really extended was during Steam on the Met.

6. Seagull

Seagull Member

A nice big freight with 4247 is pretty much essential and will definitely happen! The speed restriction on Tenterden Bank near the Tenterden Home Signal should be lifted after next weeks PW relay allowing locos to work hard all the way up the bank. I think both locos will have to work hard enough climbing the bank to make a decent show for those that like to hear a loco work.

If you've ever fancied having a go on a pump trolley you can do so at Northiam. There's also a chance to take a close look at some of the on track machinery and see a tamper in action, all interesting stuff for people who like to see more than just the steamers working hard. It should be a good weekend, we're really looking forward to it!

7. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Is Marcia going to be giving brake van rides at Tenterden this year? I'm one of a number of people who would have turned up for last years event if only that had been advertised!

8. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Would just like to echo the above :)

9. Seagull

Seagull Member

Definitely! It was nearly as popular as City of Truro last year. Maybe in a year or so we can run Marcia and Gervaise double headed on a proper passenger train, now that would be fun!

10. desperado

desperado Member

Is 33052 likely to do the first and last trains like last year? If not, is it likely to do anything at all this year?
    Last year I managed to tolerate a few trips with the steam between my two fixes of diesel :)

1 person likes this.
  11. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I try to get to the K&ESR gala most years and always kick myself afterwards if I don't! It would be nice to see the 03 (or is it an 04) diesel shunter doing a recreation of the goods trains that used to run at the end of the BR era, but I'm probably in a minority of one!

12. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    No, I would like to see that too! I've encouraged the powers that be to consider a short freight with the Ropley yeard shunter, class 11 12049 in BR Green, but apparently max speed is a problem (15mph for this loco) don't know if there is a similar problem on the KESR.

13. Seagull

Seagull Member

14. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

IF all goes to plan then it should work an early train from Tenterden - Bodiam and back hauling the DMU on Saturday Morning (Insert appropriate clauses regarding loco's subject to availability etc etc etc)

15. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

quick summary of what's occurring..

Sat 5th May - 45 minute passenger service with freights & banking. 8 loco's intraffic including D6570 working an early morning trip hauling the Cl108.

Sun 6th May - 45 minute service between tenterden & Northiam. Shuttle operating Northim - Bodiam. Engine changes and pump trolley rides at Northiam. LOTS & LOTS of movement at Northiam! 8 loco's in traffic. Free bus service from Robertsbridge (For Rother Valley railway) - See website for details.

Monday 7th May - 45 minute passenger service with freights & banking including 2-8-0 in a big freight. 7 loco's in traffic. Free bus service Headcorn - Tenterden (See website for details).

Marcia in traffic doing brake van rides every day.

16. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Is the timetable available yet? Nothiong on the web site. Hope to get there this year for the first time since our move to Hants in 2009. We used to live just up from Salehurst Halt and miss not being able to nip over to the line to use our members benefits

Don

17. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

Hmm, interesting as I sent the timetable to them last week for putting in the program and for the website.
    I will do some chasing up...

18. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

From the KESR website:

Event Tickets, Programme & Working Timetable

Purchase a one, two or three day rover ticket in advance and avoid the queues! The last day for posting will be Tuesday 1st May @3:00pm. Tickets will remain at Tenterden Station for venue pickup thereafter.

A PDF file of the event's working timetable can be purchased soon. An electronic file will be emailed to you during office hours upon receipt of payment through this store. Alternatively you may request a paper copy to be posted. Simply indicate your choice

Full details including full timetables for the three days can be found in the A4 glossy souvenir programme available online SOON or by telephone ordering on 01580 765155.

19. Seagull

Seagull Member

For the public versions of the timetables for the weekend click here http://www.kesr-operating.org.uk/Public Gala Timetables 2012.htm

A PDF file of the event's working timetable can be purchased from the online shop Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Ltd. The Great K&ESR GALA 2012 soon. An electronic file will be emailed to you during office hours upon receipt of payment through this store. Alternatively you may request a paper copy to be posted. Simply indicate your choice.

Full details including full timetables for the three days can be found in the A4 glossy souvenir programme available online SOON or by telephone ordering on 01580 765155.

For more information or to book tickets telephone 01580 765155 or visit the website The Kent & East Sussex Railway - the country's finest example of a rural light railway - The Kent & East Sussex Railway

20. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Can you tell us what locos are operating each day please?

Thanks