If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ketch "Garlandstone"

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by StoneRoad, Dec 30, 2010.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have been looking for some up to date information, but I'm not looking in the right place, 'cos I can't find anything.

Please, does anyone know exactly what is happening with the "Garlandstone" and the George and Charlotte Mine at Morwelham Quay. Failing that - what is going on, even in general terms?

I have been given to understand that the "in administration" organisation had sold the site to the Listers (Bicton Gardens) but that is all the info.......

A perplexed StoneRoad.

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

All I can find is:

One of Devon's highest profile tourist attractions has been saved from permanent closure.

Morwellham Quay has been bought by Simon and Valerie Lister, who run Bicton Park Botanical Gardens near Budleigh Salterton in Devon.

The open-air mining museum went into administration in September 2009, after Devon County Council withdrew its funding.

and: Good news! One of west Devon’s premier attractions, Morwellham Quay, between Tavistock and Gunnislake, has reopened under new ownership and is open seven days a week from 10am to 5.30pm. This is a great industrial site on the banks of the Tamar river with a fantastic period atmosphere. It is good to see it reopening and is well worth a visit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8622449.stm

as for "Garlandstone", I presume she is included. I remember her at Barmouth and Porthmadog over 30 years ago...

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for that link and info! (from April 2010)

I did visit Morwelham Quay, Garlandstone and the G&C Mine a little bit more than two years ago.
    I also remember an afloat and very neat "Garlandstone" from Porthmadog not quite so many years ago.
    She needed a bit of tlc from what I saw in Devon, and I think she had been getting some care since then, but that stopped when the funding was pulled in 2009.
    I am hoping that the new owners will continue to fund the repairs, etc. (fingers crossed!)

StoneRoad