If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kingfisher cancellations

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1C watcher, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 1C watcher

1C watcher New Member

It looks like every steam trip with this company is cancelled until 15th November. Last one was 31st August. Obvious reasons for some as stated in steam info but a bad result whatever reason. Does all this have any bearing on the apparent unwillingness to return payment for a previously long cancelled trip. Any comment read with interest. Blood and stone problem.

2. James

James Part of the furniture

Not sure why the last two Dalesman runs have been cancelled (probably low bookings judging by the cancellation of similar runs by other companies), but this one was due to the unavailability of the booked locomotive:

Sat 6th Sept - Cumbrian Coast Fellsman - 45690 Carnforth - Ravenglass

...and these two are due to engineering works:

Sat 25th Oct - West Somerset Explorer - 30777 Eastleigh - Minehead
    Sat 1st Nov - Bristol & Avon Explorer - 30777 Weymouth - Bristol

Hardly the end of the world? Railway Touring Company have just as many cancellations in this period.

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

I wrote them an email asking for news of a rescheduled trip to replace the 3rd august anniversary trip, cancelled when 70013 was unavailable. I paid a deposit. they took the full amount a few days before the trip didn't happen.

No reply so far, I'll post when I get one.

4. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Looks like the credit crunch is beginning to bite.
    Personally I think next year is going to be very difficult for the charter business, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple ofcompanies disappear.
    After all when money is tight the first thing people cut back on are leisure activities. And above all we are in the leisure business.

5. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Thats all very well but the other side of the coin is people might be looking nearer to home for entertainment rather than abroad and if the price is right.

6. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's the spirit, gresleyman - the glass is half full, not half empty!

John

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I hear that kingfisher have now stopped doing books and dvds anyone know why.

8. James

James Part of the furniture

The entire Kingfisher catalogue is now available through "Railway Recollections".

9. saltydog

Retired
    If the price is right is the important part of the above quote.
    Yes, if you visit a preserved line or Heritage Centre it can be a very reasonably priced family day out, the same goes for the likes of the Scarboroughs, Torbay's and Shakespeares etc.
    But when it comes to the one off tours it's a different story, I've looked at a few promoters websites and a trip for a family of 4 seems to come out somewhere around £250-£350 for standard class tickets. Add in food and drinks and you are looking at £300-£400 at least for a day out.
    And given the present financial climate most families are going to think twice about lashing out that kind of money.
    I'm not saying the tours are over priced, they certainly aren't, but the general public don't understand the costs involved in putting on a tour and I'm not going to go into detail here, I think most of us on here have a good idea what's involved.
    All Joe Public sees is the headline price and thinks that's a bit steep for a day out even for a ride behind a steam engine.
    I know this happens from talking about it with people in my local over the last few weeks and some of these are folks who this time last year were quite happy to spend that kind of money.
    So whilst the preserved lines may weather the present situation fairly well I do have fears that it's not going to be easy for all the mainline tour operators.
    I don't think I'm being pessimistic but realistic.

10. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

A message today on UKRP says........
    How true it is, I know not.

11. aemmott

aemmott New Member

I would guess unlikely as a new trips were added to their website in the last couple of days, I hope not anyway as the North Yorkshire Expolrer looks a fantastic trip!

12. 1C watcher

1C watcher New Member

Thanks for all the feedback on this subject. This non return of cash in my case goes back almost a year, so have things been that tight all that time?
    It may explain part of this problem but an explanation of the situation should be the least to expect and only common courtesy. My sixty quid would be better!

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Hanging on to your cash for a year is completely unacceptable. Did you pay by credit card? If so you can get the card issuer involved in this. If you paid by cheque then it's a different ball game I'm afraid. Going to the Small Claims Court is an option but that's a fair bit of effort for a "measly" 60 quid

14. saltydog

Retired
    Nowadays you can also make a claim on line. http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/onli ... /index.htm
    Don't know much about the service, I heard about it on Radio Four the other day but didn't really pay that much attention.
    Not much use if they have gone out of business, but worth a look just in case.

15. Robbo

Robbo Member

Not currently possible to book any Kingfisher tours online. What's going on?...

16. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Sounds like the rumour about bankruptcy could be true. Shame if it is as Kingfisher have run some good trips over the years.

17. nanstallon

Retired
    I hope that it's just a temporary glitch. Kingfisher Tours have shown a lot of initiative over the years, and would be sadly missed, if the rumour is true. It's a shame that their tardiness over refunds has let them down; this may have contributed to rumours starting and it is to be hoped that they are indeed only rumours.

John

18. Robbo

Robbo Member

19. nanstallon

Retired
    That's good news. The diesel (class 33) trip to Pwllheli in October looks quite tasty.

John

20. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

The problem with rumours about the financial stability of a tour company is that they can be self-fullfilling. If potential customers lose confidence then they don't book seats (or at least, not sufficiently in advance) and cash-flow becomes difficult. If anyone has contacts at Kingfisher, it might be a good idea to ask them to post here to scotch the rumours with a quick explanation of what's actually going on. As mentioned above, they have run some very good tours in recent years and it would be a great shame if they went down at this stage.