If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lady of Legend.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Black Jim, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Whats the latest on the new build Saint? Can anybody update us?

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Coming along nicely according to the Didcot GWS website. It will be running soon. I think orignally 2004 was the date originally envisaged for 2999 to steam but these things take time as we all know!

3. steadyeddie

steadyeddie New Member

Yes you could say that!! Only tender frames to start overhauling from barry condition, new 3500 gallon tank to build. Oh and overhaul the boiler... Not much really!

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I was very careful to say "soon." This word has many meanings in the heritage railway sector and is invariably affected by finance! Compared to some locomotives, it's nearly done.

5. baldric

baldric Member

The boiler has already started, from memory I think it has been re-stayed, but I might be wrong on that, I only walk past it, not study it!

6. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

This engine , along with the Patriot & Hengist , i'm really looking forward to.

7. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Visually, what will the differences be between 2999 and an original Saint? I believe I read somewhere that the boiler will be a touch higher or lower than they were originally?

Really looking forward to seeing this one - preferably in 4-4-2 configuration!

8. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

As far as I know there will be few, if any, differences. It has been constructed to represent the original straight-framed version and great care has been exercised to lower the boiler centre line and effectively raise the frames. The frames' top profile is deeper over the drivers but this is hidden by the splashers.

Foxy

9. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
  10. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Id have prefered one of the later series, preferably a court, simply because they looked so much better (perhaps even a Clevedon Court replica). That said, by going for an early example, they clearly are building what is fully a Churchward design, and the ability to reconstruct it as an Atlantic at some point is a nice bonus. Clearly building what would be to some extent a 'big wheel Hall' would have been an easier option, and its commendable they have gone for something so different.

I remember from an article in a magazine (apparently written by one of the chaps volunteering on it) that there will be detail differences, I think there was something about the boiler height above the frame and perhaps some modifications to the bogie. Also I seem to recall top feed is being retained from the Halls boiler (as is presumably the higher superheat) but there are clearly good sense reason for doing that. Besides, nobody seems to mind Didcots 48xx running around with top feed, and that was apparently a BR mod.

There was something in the article about some rail advisory quango suggesting (a number of years ago) it would have to run with solid wheels, till much time and money was spent convincing them that actually spokes had done very nicely for something like 170 odd years......

11. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

The top feed is fine for a 'Saint', the square framed one carried these before they were 'improved' with the curved frames, the beauty of this is that she'll look great with 'City of Truro' and the steam railcar - what an event to aim for!

Foxy

12. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Im not sure when they got top feed, was it post WW1? I think what they were aiming for was to have all the brass beading that was removed during the war on it, which would in appearance make it a pre WW1 machine.

Its a small thing in any case, and as you say, its not like they didnt have it at any point. Id be more worried if it had double Chimneys. :)

13. guard_jamie

Signalman
    City of Truro received top feed and superheating in 1911, and I believe a number of Saints pre-war were so fitted so no problem there. My only thought is did any of the 4-4-2s ever carry top feed? Doesn't matter really, just wondering.

14. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Probably converted to 4-6-0s by then. Be just good to have an example of this famous class in more or less original cond. which incidentally i think looks great, something different to all the other Western 4-6-0s. And an engine from an under represented & fascinating era.

15. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Fair point, and I must admit I didnt know COT got a top feed that early.

I think the superheater came later didnt it? I was reading yesterday that an early one had one fitted, but had to have the boiler pressure reduced to 200psi. Again, a small thing. Like King Edward II, it doesnt make a lot of sense NOT to fit one unless you want to use it as a sectioned museum exhibit.

16. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Nope, superheater was at the same time, Sept. 1911.

17. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

O.S.Nock's pre-grouping book on the GWR has images of both No. 2098 'Lady of Quality' and No. 2902 'Lady of the Lake' sporting top feeds and brass beading on the splashers, both photographed 1912-1914.

Foxy

18. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    The first superheated Saint was 2901 in 1906. She was built with 200psi bp and larger (18 3/8") cylinders. There were other experiments over the next few years but the settled design was fitted to the class 1909-12.
    Top feed started to be fitted from 1911. The 4-4-2s were converted from 1912 thro to Jan 1913, and long cone boilers were starting about the same time. Haven't located a photo with all the features, but I woldn't say categorically none exist.

19. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Thanks Jimc, that just about settles everything! You clearly have a better library than me...

20. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

2939 Croome Court or 2949 Stanford Court would have been my choices :)