If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Leeds Mills Still Open?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by dace83, Oct 16, 2010.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on going to Armly and Twaite mills next Saturday on the train but the museums website is down (infact I can't get on any leeds.gov sites). There are a few outdated websites with opening info but I want to make sure the museums are still open at this time of the year.

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Probably worth a phone call?

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

can't find the number, or email address. I will try the website again tomorrow

4. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Armley Mill Museum is open Tues-Sats 10am-5pm, 1-5pm on Suns and Bank Holiday Mondays. Phone is 0113 263 7861.
    Thwaite Mills is open only Sats/Suns (and BH Mons) 1-5pm and Tues-Fridays 10am-5pm in school holidays. Phone is 0113 276 2887.
    (Information from the Steam Heritage Guide 2010)

Regards,
    John Webb

5. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    As Middleton is virtually en route from Armley Mills to Thwaite Mills, will we see you on the way?
    Thwaite Mills is a fascinating place to visit, for those who haven't been. It was in use until 1974 when the weir gave way and, up to that time, it relied entirely on water power, save for a gas engine and 110vDC for the lighting, powered from batteries charged by the water wheel. No mains electricity. Even the lift was water powered. A lot of the equipment was made of wood, even the structure and rollers of the conveyor belt. The Factories Inspectorate (pre HSE) didn't even know it existed. And this in the middle of a city of 3/4 million people.