If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lenses And Filters

Discussion in 'Photography' started by jonathonag, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Hi all,

Currently I'm using a Nikon D7000, with two lenses ( 18-105mm 3.8-5.6 DX & 50mm 1.8 AD ). Up until recently, the 18-105mm had a 67mm UV Hoya Filter attached to it until scratched, while the latter as not had any filter fixed as yet.

I was wondering, from other's experience in railway photography, what would be the best filters to get for our subjects? I could buy replacement UV lenses, but what are people's preferences when it comes to Polarizing Filters, or even ND Graduated Filters? Does anybody use them for railway photography here in the UK, and in what situations? What's the best advice in shooting with them etc... ? I thought it was best to ask on here before I plunge and spend the money to experiment.

Thanks,

Jonathon

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Use UV filters as lens protection more than anything. By shooting in RAW it's possible to rescue over bright skies so find no need for ND Grads. Haven't used a polariser since before I went 645 let alone digital so no comment on that front.

3. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I have to agree with Spamcan about using UV filters, they are a must, so you scratched it, go get another one!

Don't bother with a polarising filter, waste of time unless you after a particular effect, certainly not an ideal lens attachment for railway photography.

As for ND filters, railway photography is not really what they are about, they are used more for capturing movement of water/clouds etc with low f numbers and slow shutter speeds. BUT having said that I do use an ND2 filter in really bright light, (ND2 is as far as I dare go- its dark enough!) The ND filter will add a certain richness of colour and bring out definition in the sky if there is any, and is also quite useful when shooting into or against the sun.

The thing to remember when using an ND filter is to use manual setting, low ISO, low f number and a high shutter speed (especially when shooting mainline steam!)

Oh, and just to reiterate what Spamcan has said, shoot in RAW, but set the camera to shoot RAW+JPEG (so you can see what you've just shot!)

BillyReopening likes this.
  4. Spamcan81

Training moles
    No idea which camera you use but I shoot in RAW only and I can "chimp" with the rest of them. The RAW image displays on the camera screen just the same as if I'd shot it in JPEG.

5. Duty Druid

The same as the OP, a Nikon D7000! :)

Last time I looked, with the Nikon if you shoot RAW only you just get a blank screen and can't see the image until you load it onto the computer! Hence my comment.................................;)

6. Spamcan81

Training moles

No such problem on any of my Canons I've owned.

7. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    If you shoot RAW+JPEG you can view your JPEG shots on the computer screen immediately without having to convert the
    RAW shots which saves time picking out the best ones and deleting the c**p. I think that is what Duty Druid meant.

8. Duty Druid

That's where Canon & Nikon differ!

Though maybe not so in the pro cameras.............................................

9. Duty Druid

Not quite!

The Nikon software shows you both at the same time, but like I said,last time I looked if you just shot RAW you just get a blank screen on play back - always nice to see what you've just shot! :)

Different camera makers, different software........................................

10. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Ah. I use Canon. Didn't realize how Nikon differed.

11. Duty Druid

They've always differed, in fact they've hated each other since way back when!

BTW I've no idea as to why they dislike each other so much, and nor do I care..................................

12. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I never realised some Nikon cameras were unable to show RAW images on the screen, seems a bit odd to be unable to view the shot you've just taken.

In my experience Canon cameras don't cope with highlights as well as Nikon. My 350D used to burn out highlights, especially white/light grey skies, so I often used Cokin grad filters. I've still got them, and use them occasionally, but not as much as before. Three grades, light, medium and strong. As mentioned above, used with a wide aperture and they were fine, even when a couple of filters were used at the same time. Burnt out skies can normally be recovered on the computer nowadays.

I haven't used a UV filter for a long while, and have never scratched a lens. Maybe I've just been lucky, but a decent camera bag and keeping the lens hood on helps.

13. horace

horace Member

I shoot with a D90 & D5100 both in RAW. I understand that the picture displayed on the lcd screen is an embeded jpg in the raw file.I would have thought the D7000 would display in the same way as the D90 or D5100.

14. Duty Druid

Horace, when I said "last time I looked" I was referring to my D5000, which doesn't, so you have to shoot RAW+JPEG to see what you've shot!

And when I got my D7000, I just set it up the same, without checking, and guess what, I've just checked - and yes I can shoot in just RAW :) (OP ignore what I said in my first post! :oops:)

15. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I don't use any. Like 5944 I don't use a UV filter and luckily have never scratched a lens. Use a decent hood and that's all you'll need, oh and invest in some decent software like Adobe Lightroom 4.

16. horace

horace Member

That's good news Dave I am giving the D7000 some thought.I guess you are very pleased with it ?

17. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Just be careful with the ND filter and blues...brings out the sky definition and also picks up the blue on 60163 a bit too well, messed up several photos due to my inexperience with ND!

18. Duty Druid

Stephen, pleased is an understatement - I LOVE IT! :), oh and so does Ken Rockwell here's a link to his review Gods Review its got enough bells & whistles on it that most of them you'll never need.............................................. stop thinking about and go and get one, you won't regret it, OK its been superseded by the D7100 but so what, you'll be able to pick up a body for a lot less than I paid for mine - give this site a go (if you haven't used it already) http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon/Nikon-Digital-SLRs

19. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    ND Graduated filters was one of the best purchases I have ever made!!

Lewis

BillyReopening likes this.
  20. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Thanks for all the input so far, I posted it mainly to see what people's personal opinions and uses have been. The filter actually got scratched by chance, but did its intended job of protecting the lens!

As for the D7000, I'd thoroughly recommend it. I've had mine for two years now, and still learning new tricks with it every day!