If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llanberis Slate Quarry Gala

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SillyBilly, May 19, 2012.

1. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Hello All,
    The following press release from the Llanberis Lake Railway may be of interest, Alice will be running on the railway along with it's Dinorwic slate train and the V2 incline will be in full operation several times a day over the weekend of the 30th June & 1st July. Taster photos can be found at http://photobucket.com/v2incline and a video at V2 Incline in operation at National Slate Museum Llanberis - YouTube

“Alice” Comes Home
    “Alice”, the last steam engine to leave Dinorwic Quarry will be returning to her spiritual home in Llanberis for the first time in over 40 years for a gala weekend on the 30th June and 1st July.
    When the vast Dinorwic Quarry in Llanberis closed in 1969, several hundred feet up in the quarry in what was known as the Australia level, the little quarry Hunslet engine “Alice” stood abandoned, robbed of many parts to keep its sister engines going.

Many of the other engines had been sold off as they became surplus to requirements or were finally sold at the auction once the quarry closed. But “Alice” was bereft of most of her useful parts and stranded in her shed. What remained were bought as spares by the owner of sister locomotive “Holy War” and in 1972 moves were eventually made to bring her down from her shed via the old quarry inclines.

She was originally moved to Quainton Road in Buckinghamshire, before arriving at the Bala Lake Railway in 1977. Little happened until she was purchased by Chris Scott in 1987, and by 1994 she was restored to working order with the help of the Ffestiniog Railway and Leighton Buzzard Railway.

As part of the deal to restore the locomotive she worked at the Leighton Buzzard Railway between 1994 and 2003 when she returned once again to Bala. Since then she has visited many other railways, but until now has never returned home to Llanberis.

Over the weekend of the 30th June and 1st July 2012 she will be the star attraction on the Llanberis Lake Railway. She will be hauling passenger trains on her own and double heading with her old stable mates, the Llanberis Lake Railway’s own quarry Hunslet locomotives, as well as shunting slate waggons around the railway, in what promises to be a very busy timetable.

The slate waggons have been re-built by Julian Birley, “Alice’s” current owner from parts recovered from Dinorwic Quarry, and together with “Alice” will recreate a portrait of the Dinorwic Quarry not seen for over 40 years.

Stop Press:
    Now Available With Added Quarry!
    The Llanberis Lake Railway timetable for 2012 includes a gala event to coincide with the visit of “Alice” on June 30th/ July 1st. It is 40 years since “Alice” last graced Gilfach Ddu and the event promises to be memorable. Only in Llanberis do you get quarry engines with added quarry and by teaming up for the weekend with the National Slate Museum (NSM), itself celebrating 40 years this year, the event offers manpower and gravity power as well as steam power.

The terraces and inclines of the Vivian Quarry dominate the backscene to Gilfach Ddu station at Llanberis, where the NSM restored V2 incline is a prominent feature. Normally the incline is operated 3 days a week by the museum. Its set up of supporting infrastructure, includes two traversers, a series of spur sidings and a fleet of Dinorwic quarry wagons, which have never seen action since restoration. All you need to make it work is two teams of men in flat caps and scruffy overcoats and some traditional Welsh weather. While the wet weather is not guaranteed, the manpower is available to provide the necessary grunt to the operation.

With the NSM providing further Dinorwic slate wagons for use in freight trains on the Llanberis Lake Railway, the weekend promises a unique opportunity to see steam, slate and sweat in action.

Further information is available from:
    David Jones, General Manager, Llanberis Lake Railway.
    info@lake-railway.co.uk

Cheers,
    Will

2. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is a photo Charter associated with this that may appreciate support, PM me if you want details....not sure if I can post them directly.

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Sadly I wouldn't be able to make this event, however the missus and I visited the railway on September 1st last year after a trip on the Snowdon Mountain Railway. It's a superb railway running alongside the lake and if the weather's good, which fortunately it was for us, the landscape for photography is superb and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of visiting. Here is a link to my photo album I' uploaded from my holiday to North Wales last year and if you scroll through you'll come across the Llanberis photos and see the stunning images that are possible to achieve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105454...orthWales298492011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

cheers

4. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    This weekend folks, don't miss out, the shots I've seen of the freight train photo charter are quite special.

5. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    Went to the Llanberis event on Saturday - sadly numbers were few, guessing due to the weather? I've put some thoughts and a quartet of pictures on my Narrow Gauge World blog - the link is here;
    Another Quarry Hunslet goes home

Cheers

Andrew C
    Editor - Narrow Gauge World
    Atlantic Publishers

6. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Many thanks for sharing Andrew, very evocative; also, it seems to have been a somewhat "atmospheric" day in more ways than one!!

Cheers

Alan