If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen Railway 1960's Weekend - 28th & 29th July 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 12CVST, May 12, 2012.

1. 12CVST

12CVST New Member

Dust off the Parkas, pink specs or your kaftans Folks, the Dee Valley is heading back to the 60's again in July!

Plans for our third event are coming together nicely. Steam traction for the event is TBC and dependent on summer hire arrangements, but if there's anything interesting around we will hope to try and make good use of it as we did with the Austerity last year. Temporary loco weathering using the same successful and reversible(!) technique we applied to 7822 should add to the atmosphere. We are also hoping to have a public-carrying freight working with more brakevan capacity now available from the superbly restored Queen Mary.

Expect two diesel diagrams per day, probably one day Sulzer with D5310 and D1566, one day EE with 6940 and 5580. A DMU will also be out and about.

The Cavernites are doing another superb gig for us on Llan station on the Saturday evening, with a bar available and we have two other musicians performing on the station over the weekend. Twenty vintage vehicles are already confirmed for the display field at Glyndyfrdwy with plenty more expected and two vintage buses will be working a Llan-Carrog rail replacement service - including an open-topper if the weather is kind enough! There will also be a small 60s-inspired market with a variety of stalls of both railway and non-railway varieties at Llangollen.

More details at:
    1960s Weekend – from the Beatles to Beeching | Heritage Traction on the Llangollen Railway

And for a taste of what's on offer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sounds like it's looking to be a great event! If I was interested in holding a photographic exhibition at Llangollen station over the weekend, where would I need to get into contact with?

Thanks,
    Lewis

3. 12CVST

12CVST New Member

Either me or Iain Ross Lewis - that sounds like a good idea!

We'd also be very interested to hear from anyone who would like to have a stall at our market - be it Railway-related or otherwise - the event appeals to non-enthusiasts and tourists with the other things going on like cars and music.

4. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    I have sent you a PM, very interested now!

Thanks,
    Lewis

5. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Llangollen Railway 1960's Weekend - 28th & 29th July 2012

Be prepared for some interesting locos, and moves!! I have plans! ;)

6. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

Remember last years with fond memories, it was superb, especially the weathering on foxcote manor, looking forward to the same this year

7. shymike01

shymike01 New Member

Any more information on this event please? Am planning to attend one day - would like to know details of locos, buses etc

8. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

how do you weather the engine (apart from not cleaning it)?

9. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Probably have to purchase a programme for £5 to find out the timetable, loco roster etc etc....

10. RA & FC

That was only for an event run by 6880, to raise as much money as possible to get their engine built.

This event is run by 12CVST and myself, for Llangollen Railway, so all information will be made available on either the Llangollen Railway website, or the diesel group website (link in tez's signature above)

Traction for the weekend is: 44806, 7822, D5310 (saturday), 5580 (sunday) and 109 wickham DMU. The manor will look like this again:

DSCN5856.JPG

Supplied by the North west museum of road transport will be 2 vintage buses. 1 will be an open top, all being well with the weather!! These will run between Llangollen and Carrog.

The real ale bar on Llangollen Station will be open all weekend, with live music on the platform in the afternoons and evening.

At Glyndyfrdwy station there will be a gathering of over 90 vintage cars, bikes and buses.

11. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but may I politely suggest that if you want your event to be a success that the timetable should be out by now....The event is just over a week away
    Also if you are planning to put the loco roster out that you let people know when you plan to do so.
    Part of the advertising should be the timetable and this all helps in building up the reputation of your event. This includes the loco diagrams too. If you build up a good reputation then the likely repeat business for the next year is increased.
    Building a good reputation is one of the most important things because peoiple know what to expect. They know that they wont get ripped off, get value for money and have a good time....even if things at the very last minute dont quite go as planned.

Hope the event works out...

12. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Giant bags of weathering powder ?!?!?

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    To be fair to Tez, Rossy and the rest of the Llan Diesel Group, they always release full diagrams in advance of the event free of charge. There is a delay for this years 60s event though due to the failure of the 37 last weekend.

Rossy will correct me if I'm wrong, but believe last year he utilised water based poster paints from the Early Learning Centrre!

14. RA & FC

Well this is the 3rd 1960's Event run by myself and Tez. Normally all the information is available, but recently we have had a few board changes, and a new ops manager. As well as having a loco failure last weekend, things have been held up slightly.

15. 12CVST

12CVST New Member

Public timetables are now available here:

Saturday:http://www.llangollen-diesels.org.u...ekend-Public-Timetable-Saturday-28th-July.pdf

Sunday: http://www.llangollen-diesels.org.u...Weekend-Public-Timetable-Sunday-29th-July.pdf

Sorry for the late issue of these - as Iain has already explained, getting it out earlier has been difficult. We are normally very transparent with our TTs and loco diagrams as we like to give people the chance to plan their moves. Irrespective of whether diagrams are or aren't available in advance, I can assure you Iain and I have organised the event with the intention of "ripping people off" as the last thing in mind. We may not have visiting locos, but purchasing a ticket provides unlimited travel opportunities, bus rides and attendance at the evening concert on Saturday night. There will also be over 100 vintage vehicles in attendance over the weekend at Glyndyfrdwy.

Many thanks