If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS 43106 M & GN connection

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Hi All

With 43106 soon to be back in steam, i have added 3 photos taken by Tony Gillett in August 1967 at Blackpool, 2 of the photos are close up photos of the M&GN staffcatcher that was attached to 43106, hopefully they will be of use to the owners of 43106, and any M & GN enthusiast
    43106 at Blackpool with Tony Gillett, (look at the old road coaches in the background)
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 82185.html
    2 photos of the M & GN staffcatcher
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 82184.html
    http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 82187.html

Neil

2. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi,

43106 was a 31D South Lynn (the M&GN shed at King's Lynn) from new in April 1951 to its move to Woodford Halse in June 1956. As far as I'm aware 43106 was possibly the only Ivatt 4MT to move from the M&GN before the 1959 closure. This move is possibly what saved her from the same fate as her sister ex-M&GN locos, in that many were stored then sent for scrap.

It's interesting that the tablet catcher was still in situ in 1967, eleven years after she left the M&GN. I've not seen pictures of the tablet catcher being in place when she reached the Severn Valley the following year. Does anyone know what happened to it? These catchers where the original M&GN ones and were moved from loco to loco as the were allocated to the M&GN, so it's strange that 43106 retained hers. On the NNR we still have several of the ground mounted tablet catchers, if a loco mounted one could be found or faqbricated and fitted to 43106, a tablet swap demonstration could be an attraction similar to the mail drops at Didcot and on the NVR and GCR. What the H&S bods today would think of locos running with protruding jaws sticking out of the side of the tender I'm not sure!

Steve A

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Well it seems like a replica will be fitted to the Loco, this could be quite a scene.

4. boldford

boldford Member

I'm informed it will be a non-functional replica. A sensible compromise to keep the photographers happy.

For those interested 43106 emerged from the boilershop today and was shunted round to the main shed for completion of all those small but time consuming jobs.

5. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Thats a shame but It's more than I expected as I wouldn't of thought one would of been fitted all together. I should think the loco in charge of the teaks at the SVR like on the homepage will be very popular.