If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMSCA News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by daveannjon, Apr 1, 2013.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Many people don’t realise that there was an unpublished Beeching report in 1963. Embargoed until recently, it recommended full privatisation of the network and was pushed for hard by the Minister of Transport Ernest Marples. Prime Minister Harold MacMillan was also in favour of this way forward but on hearing that Marples-Ridgeway (Marples' company) would become a big player thought it a step too far. In recognition of the 50th anniversary of the report the LMSCA has turned out their LMS designed ‘Porthole’ brake 3rd at Wirksworth in temporary Virgin livery to demonstrate to the public what loco-hauled stock might have looked like had the report been accepted. It will be an interesting comparison with the EMT livered Derby Lightweight railcar Iris.

Dave

BTK27001.jpg

2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

nice try

3. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Think this morning I shouldn't read anything posted!

4. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer