If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LNER 20T Brake Vans

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by JWKB, Feb 20, 2011.

1. JWKB

JWKB Member

Hi all,
    We at the Gwili vintage Carriage group are presently overhauling the underframe of TVR 220 which is a converted LNER brake van. Anyway we would like to hear from any individuals or groups that have any experience/ tips in over-hauling the handbrake assembly before we start pulling it apart.

James

2. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    not done LNER stuff, but have done a bit on GWR toads. There isn't really much to it, I know it sounds obvious, but just stand back for 5 minutes and look at how it all goes together before taking it appart, and make a note of where all the bits went as they come off. Be prepared to crawl into some awkward places and do some awkward pulling, pushing and lifting when you put it all back up too, it is a great alternative to the gym!!!!!

3. JWKB

JWKB Member

Yeah I got the old camera out for the first part and got lots of pictures, however I'm unsure on the mechanism of the hand brake and whether it is set up properly at the moment as we have had a problem with the hand brake getting stuck in the 'ON' position at times.

4. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

The NYMR's York Area Group are currently finishing off the overhaul of one of these vehicles at New Bridge, so you might want to get in touch with them via their website: www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/

5. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Currently coming to the end of returning LNER BV 246710 to traffic with the NYMR PW dept.
    However we have not had to touch the handbrake at all. Just need to find some new(er) brake blocks.
    See link for progress as of last year. It has progressed some more since then, I am waiting for an update.
    http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/index.php?p=1_18_LNER-20T-Brake-Van-E246710
    However rollout day should not be that far off. Internal painting of the cabin and fitting new stepboards are about the only things left to do.
    Work has currently been taking precedence on a Grampus 991840
    http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/index.php?p=1_20_Grampus-wagon-repair

6. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Two things spring to mind
    1/ Is the van fitted, and if so, is the sticking caused by it gagging up as the vacuum leacks off
    and
    2/ is the mechanism worn and causing the nut that operates the brake to pull up onto the end of the tread on the lead screw?