If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Loco Department

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Eightpot, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In Germany for the Plandampf event last October, my mate and I were staying in a Hotel in Neustadt-Weinstrasse. The first morning at breakfast there was a couple of fellows from the Bluebell Loco Dept. at the next table. I casually suggested that I couldn't understand why they didn't have a Diesel Loco. To say that they went ballistic would be an understatement. When they returned to Earth an calmed down, I elaborated by saying that I wasn't thinking of a Main-Line type, but a Shunter, as it would be more cost effective for odd 'as and when' work, to say nothing of the spoil trains from Imberhorne cutting site. The response was that at any hint of a Diesel appearing on the Bluebell, the Railway would find themselves without a Loco Dept.

Six months later, the Bluebell got an 08 Diesel.

Have yet to hear or read of any en-masse resignations there................

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

What you have to remember of course is that there are a few Bluebell members, in many depts. as well as 'armchair volunteers' who were very blase about the diesel. Now it's arrived they seem happy just to get on with it, although they still grumble about it.

Indeed one loco deept. volunteer recently got a piece of chalk and changed black book's cover from 'diesel driver training list' to 'hit list', but these are very much a minority

3. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well they must see that it takes the weight of the steam fleet....I mean they have been totally relaible recently.

4. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

D3023 had a lot to prove and after a bit of a slow start it is now proving it's worth with 96 out of traffic. While I can't see many more coming in the immediate future, D3023 has certainly not become as much of a hate figure as it could have been, although it seems more popular in some depts. (C&W, Pway) than others (loco)

5. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Indeed they do take the weight off the steam fleet, but I can understand the feelings of members of an all steam Railway wanting to keep it that way. It does not get any better with time, or the addition of more Diesels, some of our lads do let their anti diesel feelings take over, but most of us get on with it

6. 21D

21D Member

I see the sense in having the 08, but I think it is a pity that the only all steam line isn't anymore. Mind you the state that the Ivatt was in after it's "holiday" suggested it had been worked hard. It's valves were very tired. An austerity tank might have stood the treatment better, or just something a bit more powerful.