If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Locomotive Lamps

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by Hurricane, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does anyone have a definitive guide on the different types of locomotive lamps?

As far as as I know the LNER (which turned into a BR Pattern no 2 lamp) were as below with an internal red shade controlled by the switch on the side.
    Arty_F_IM_056.jpg

The LMS version being more of square lamp with a distinctive brass ring around the lens.
    24_24_62_web.jpg

Western lamps were similar in shape to the LMS lamp but the handles were side to side and of course were attached on the side rather than the back (they also appear to have been in both red or white).
    th.jpeg

Southern Lamps were similar to the LNER version however the red shade was contained within the removable lid which twisted inside to show red or white (as shown below).
    4087618260_ddf53fd2ce_z.jpg

Can anyone provide further information on this topic?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Interesting - our Southern lamps (which I assume are based on originals) aren't like the one you illustrate. They are round, but to get a red aspect, you have to turn the whole inner part of the lamp, using the carrying handle. One feature of such a design is that you get quick feedback about whether the lamp is set to a red or white aspect. If the carrying handle is aligned along an axis parallel to the locomotive, the aspect is white. If the handle is at 45° to the that axis, the aspect is red.

Surprisingly hard to find a photo on Google, since during daylight, most Southern locos are carrying discs!

Tom

Hurricane likes this.
  3. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Doh its amazing how even when you use something all the time you can forget the basics, (Its a bit like the test to ask someone to draw their wrist watch - most people get it very wrong).
    You are quite correct however are the southern version the ones that have the lid with in built red shade that twists and the LNER version the one as per my picture?

I have now updated my post above to show a picture of a reproduction southern lamp.

The reason for asking is I have never been able to find a definitive lamp guide to explain.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Great Western headlamps were red until 1936 and then painted white from that year.