If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GNJR Fire Buckets Sign

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by ghost, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but what are peoples thoughts on this one?

16864115_1448668958479628_7526007817619703393_n.jpg

Keith

2. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    These are known to have been reproduced in considerable numbers and it is almost impossible to distinguish the genuine from the repro, even under close scrutiny. An additional problem with these fire-bucket notices is that the originals were fixed to walls, often protected from the elements, so they were not affected by the weathering, corrosion and multiple layers of paint that are often a distinguishing factor with, say, trespass signs, which were usually fixed to posts in exposed locations.

It's interesting that M&GNJR and the similar S&DJR fire-bucket notices on the railwayana market seem to outnumber those of the parent, much larger, Midland Railway. That alone should arouse suspicion.

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for your comments John, if it's cheap enough it might just make a nice wall decoration without worrying too much if it's authentic!

Keith